So what are you reading NOW?!?!

Lee Knight

• Members

Currently reading "LIVE! At the Ozark Opry".

Lee Mace's Ozark Opry (Osage Beach, MO) 1953-2005 was the template for Branson. It was televised for much of that time and every Thursday at 6:30-7:30 for much of the 70's, my Arkansas hillbilly father and I watched it together from our little town in north MO. The men that played their bluegrass instruments so well generally had weak, breathy voices ala Flatt & Scruggs and occasionally covered pop hits of the day, albeit with cleaned-up lyrics (I remember vividly their version of "Bad, Bad Leroy Brown", the "baddest man in the whole dern town").

The book was given to me by my best friend, who played on the same Ozark Opry from '98 to '01. I didn't know until 5 years later that THAT was the Lake of the Ozarks show he played every summer, taking off from our house band.

As well as background on the show, the book has a lot of info on the Ozark culture and music of my maternal great-grandfather and my grandmother. That's them in my avatar, from a pic at a campground, somewhere where the Ozarks meet the Bootheel of SE MO. Unfortunately there are no recordings of their music, but according to my 80 year-old mother, great- grandfather Jones was a "legend", the Paganini of the Bootheel. I think it was his spirit that moved me to buy a fiddle last summer; unfortunately, his spirit didn't stick around long enough to show me how to play it. So my next book will be Fiddle Playing for Dummies or some such.

• Members

FINALLY finished the Autobiography of Mark Twain, Vol1. Absolutely exhaustive book. Some enlightenment but not the great reveal I was hoping for. Did'nt really disappoint, just didn't wow me. One of our greatest writers, but then I already knew that.

Archived