Help me design something that looks like a Les Paul Junior

Freeman Keller

• Members

I have a lovely set of flamed Spanish cedar that I've been hording to build some sort of drop top guitar after I finish the ES-175

IMG_1485_zps1e75c27a.jpg

It is only 1/4 inch thick so I can't carve it, but I've been kind of thinking about a flat topped Les Paul shape, which I guess would make it a LP Jr. I don't have any experience with a Jr but understand that they normally have one P-90 in the bridge position. Personally I play my LP with the neck pickup far more than the bridge - I would probably modify the design to put in two pickups. I also like the PAF copies in my Lester, would that be a better choice than P-90's? I think some Jr's use the one piece bridge/tailpiece - I would use a standard ToM bridge and stop tailpiece.

I have a nice solid mahogany body blank, but I would consider chambering the body to cut the weight down (I know that might affect the fatness of the tone but the wood is pretty porus). I've got a hunk of mahogany for the neck and some flamed maple that would look good as the binding - here is the wood stash

IMG_1499_zps57b8e49e.jpg

I'm leaning towards just clear lacquer over a epoxy pore filler (which will pop the grain of the top nicely) and would uses some of the cutoff Spanish cedar for the headplate so it would match the top. And building a LP shape means I can get a case that fits without special order - that is actually a pretty important item.

So, for those of you who have played LP Jr's, what do you like or dislike about them? What pup(s) would you use? Would you hog out the body? Anything else that I should consider?

btw - I do have a potential customer for this, he has played my Lester and wants something similar - he plays rock with a definite bluesy vib.

• Members

Love the idea, and definitely agree on the clear finish; it's too pretty to hide.

Instead of a trad nod to Gibson, why not a simple hardtail with P90's (my choice) or PAF's? For some reason, I don't want to see chrome pup covers on that wood, too distracting ....

Update: DeArmond type argyle toasters, no pick guard. Yeah, baby.

Archived