Todd Sucherman

1001gear

• Members
Actually I meant using the 20" as a tom.

I've seen it done,and Manuver (sp? HC member can't remember his real name right now) had put legs on a 26" kick, years ago.

The one thing to consider is that you may go through a lot of heads with your idea, because every gong bass drum I've seen always have dented heads. I don't know if it's due to the owners tuning them too low, mounted at too steep an angle, or what. I say give it a shot.

• Members

The one thing to consider is that you may go through a lot of heads with your idea, because every gong bass drum I've seen always have dented heads. I don't know if it's due to the owners tuning them too low, mounted at too steep an angle, or what. I say give it a shot.

That's my worry is spending the cash on heads and busting through with a stick. I actually didn't realize Evans made a 20" G2 coated till just now when I checked the website.

My GF is always commenting on how she likes the sound of lower toms and wishes I had more. An expense I could fairly easily justify (and take care of some GAS too!!)

• Members

The only issue I could see with the 20" G2 is that if it's a tom head then you need to use a tom hoop, just like you need to use a kick hoop for a bass drum head, and 20" tom hoops are a pain to find cheap. You could experiment with the kick as is, but run the batter head tighter than you would using it as a kick, and see how the goes. That doesn't solve the mounting issue, and the $ involved for that. Do you have a rack? That would make things easier.

• Members

That was my thought, Symbolic -- bass drum heads need bass drum hoops, so you'd have to use a bass drum head. I'd think a two play will help give you that thud of a gong drum, but if you want something more open like a tom, I'd think something thinner would get you that... which means you run the risk of the dent.

Why not shop out an 18" floor tom instead?

• Members

Oh yeah, forgot about the hoop thing. Thnx for bringing that up SC. Ya know, this drum is just a shell right now with no lugs or any other hardware in sight. It's becoming a pain. AND I don't have the cash to be throwing at an albatross. Some day I could just use it as it's supposed to be. But after measuring for roundness it's slightly off. This one may end up a table or weird lamp in the music room.

Great idea at the time - ah yes, then reality arrives and takes over the room.

Archived