Talk About Anything But Donald Trump and Politics

bee3

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Over the summer, Summer Fiction (band I play with) lugged our equipment up 10 flights of stairs at the abandoned, historic Divine Lorraine hotel and filmed some live performance video. Here is the first... it took place in what used to be the Grand Ballroom.

• Members
Over the summer, Summer Fiction (band I play with) lugged our equipment up 10 flights of stairs at the abandoned, historic Divine Lorraine hotel and filmed some live performance video. Here is the first... it took place in what used to be the Grand Ballroom.

Where's the Leslie?!? It's not like it was 20 flights of stairs.

• Members

What, no animal costumes or jump cuts to lonely walker on the beach in black and white or faux-60s psychedelic dissolves??? just five guys playing a great song well and not making a big deal about it and you call that a music video??

What is all over the floor in that old place?

Seriously, very nice stuff. As usual.

nat whilk ii

• Members

Ahh, Summer Fiction. I remember you mentioned them (him?) before.

Nice vibe.

• Members
Really nice...enjoyed that...very good video... and how did you electricity in an abandoned building?

Maybe abandoned is the wrong word... It was abandoned but has been bought by a developer and is set to be refurbished. The electricity situation was spotty...had to run extension cords up the empty elevator shaft.

The building has a fascinating history. Google Divine Lorraine.

• Members

Maybe abandoned is the wrong word... It was abandoned but has been bought by a developer and is set to be refurbished. The electricity situation was spotty...had to run extension cords up the empty elevator shaft.

The building has a fascinating history. Google Divine Lorraine.

Interesting building...hard to believe it wasn't until 1948 that the building was fully racially integrated and was the first of its kind to do that. Seems unfathomable.

Makes for a cool backdrop for a music vid...looks like a bag of cement was holding up a mic for the guitarists amp...Great band name too.

• Members

Invited by a friend to go see John Hiatt and Lyle Lovett tonight. I know these are both respected singer-songwriters, but I have zero - ZERO - knowledge of their music. If you're a fan, what are your favorite songs by them?

FYI show is right down the street from our mod LeeK, but alas he won't be there.

• Members

Won't comment on Trump, but John Hiatt and Lyle Lovett was kind of a magical show. It was just the two of them, no bands, playing acoustic for 2.5 hours. I enjoyed it more intellectually than viscerally. I could listen to John Hiatt sing the phone book, such a rich distinctive voice, and his playing style was crisp and detailed but simple if that makes sense, with basic riffs to keep it interesting. Lyle Lovett was either bluesy or sweet, capo-d crazy high (I should start doing that, we have similar voices). I went in with almost no experience with either, and song of the night for me was Road to Ensenada, wow now *that's* a lyric.

"The Road To Ensenada"

As I lay sick and broken

Viva Mexico

My eyes just won't stay open

And I dream a dream of home

I dream a dream of home

Where there's coffee on the table

And kindness in your hand

Honey I'll help you when I'm able

But right now I'm feeling bad

Right now I'm feeling bad

Listen to your heart that beats

And follow it with both your feet

And as you walk and as you breathe

You ain't no friend to me

You ain't no friend to me

The road to Ensenada

Is plenty wide and fast

If you head South from Tijuana

Then I'll see you at last

I'll see you at last

But my eyes they open slowly

And they look around the room

The old man he seems worried

And there ain't no sign of you

There ain't no sign of you

You ain't no friend of me

You can offer to the righteous

The good that you have won

But down here among the unclean

Your good work just comes undone

Your good work just comes undone

The sisters at the borderline

They're holding out their hands

They're begging me for something Lord

But I don't understand

I don't understand

So it's adios to Alvero

Tell him to stay between the lines

And if he sees that Gabriella girl

Tell her I'll look her up next time

Say I'll look her up next time

Because the road to Ensenada

Is plenty wide and fast

And this time through Tijuana

Well it won't be my last

It won't be my last

• Members

Color me jealous. I bet that was a kick ass show.

I've started to really appreciate the capo over the past few years. It especially makes sense for acoustic gigs when you have a couple players. Everybody plays in a different position and you get a much fuller sound.

• Members
Color me jealous. I bet that was a kick ass show.

I've started to really appreciate the capo over the past few years. It especially makes sense for acoustic gigs when you have a couple players. Everybody plays in a different position and you get a much fuller sound.

Yeah it was capo 9 or 10 playing G, (so E or F)...sounded great with his voice. I've been struggling with mixes because my voice is so low. :)

• Members

Yeah it was capo 9 or 10 playing G, (so E or F)...sounded great with his voice. I've been struggling with mixes because my voice is so low. smile.png

Yeah, I think he can only play in G because every time I've seen that capo way up on the fretboard and watched his fingering, it always looked to me like he was playing G chords, G, C D7 etc...

Archived