Talk About Anything But Donald Trump and Politics

bee3

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Ha!

Had a similar exchange with my daughter last week listening to the mastered tracks. "Daddy, I thought you were gonna be done with this in February." "We'll, sometimes it takes a little longer. It's looking like it'll be the end of summer." "Daaadyyyyyy, I already started school. Summer's over."

• Members
OK well I finally finished the track. I think the mix is 99.9% done (just 1 or 2 super small tweaks), which for me is done. This is a big thing for me, let me know what you think. You've heard the track before, but this is the final mix after significant editing and cleanup: Air Enough to Breathe

Yeah, all the parts are super-clear and clean. It does strike me as pretty dry, reverb-wise. Is there going to be one more mastering stage yet to do? A tiny bit of compression-glue across the master maybe?

But really, it's clear as a bell, sounds arresting, so I should probably just shut up except to say, good work!

nat whilk ii

• Members

Thanks all for chiming in, it means a lot. Yeah @Nat it's a little dry, I played with reverb (there's actually some global ambience as well as compression on the 2-bus), but I like it crisp, almost clinical. People say it sounds like the Cardigans, and I'll totally take that. So many ways to go though...

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members
Released a single today... Blue Melody, which was the result of one of Stickboy's songwriting challenges. Lee Knight with the mix and production.

https://justindifebbo.bandcamp.com/track/blue-melody

Justin, this is a remarkable recording. Really love the track, so creative, and the performances and mix are really wonderful. Great singing and playing all around. Then the production - so lush, and then so otherworldly when the grittier B section come in is fantastic. Bravo all around, just fantastic.

• Members
^^^ This is pretty amazing Justin. Really good song all round.

The celebrated Mr.K is no slouch on the mix either. Even I'm beginning to hear the difference between an ordinary mix and an excellent one.

Thanks OGP... if you could've heard the pile of slop handed over to Lee, you'd be even more impressed. :) In all seriousness, I work backwards... so basic tracks go down and THEN drums. In this case, I wasn't happy at all with the way the drums were working with the track, but Lee convinced me to let him pocket them with the bass and other tracks. It worked.

• Members

Justin, this is a remarkable recording. Really love the track, so creative, and the performances and mix are really wonderful. Great singing and playing all around. Then the production - so lush, and then so otherworldly when the grittier B section come in is fantastic. Bravo all around, just fantastic.

Your assessment gave me chills. Thanks Martin!

• Members

In all seriousness, I work backwards... so basic tracks go down and THEN drums.

That's not working backwards - in my book, that's the right way to work.

Firstly, the drummer gets to play in a way that is meaningful to the expression of the song with his fills being just where they need to be.

Secondly, there's nothing more boring than tying the guitar and bass rhythm to a drum loop, 'boom tshh boom boom tshh……yawn. It also misses opportunities for nuance in rhythm, timing and phrasing.

• Members

Nice artwork. And I really like the song titles!

Thanks. I think most of them were worked on to some degree here in the forum.

I'll be posting links to the audio over the next couple weeks. They've come a long way since the phone demos I usually post here.

Archived