Moving to the land of ice hockey.

billybilly

• Members

BOOM!!! :)

Okay, I'll bite having a Canadian passport, even though I'm Aussie. Most teams players originated from Canada but for the most part, the larger population in America can facilitate more teams financially. Most of the NHL players originated from Canada. Here's a couple of recent powerhouse teams that have won Stanley Cups. You'll find most teams have similar percentages, at least those who have been successful.

LA Kings Roster 2014

14 Canadians

5 Americans

2 Swedish

1 Russian

Boston Bruins Roster 2014

13 Canadians

3 Swedish

1 American

1 Slovakian

1 Finnish

1 Dutch

fetch?filedataid=101999

• Members

Okay, I'll bite having a Canadian passport, even though I'm Aussie. Most teams players originated from Canada but for the most part, the larger population in America can facilitate more teams financially. Most of the NHL players originated from Canada. Here's a couple of recent powerhouse teams that have won Stanley Cups. You'll find most teams have similar percentages, at least those who have been successful.

LA Kings Roster 2014

14 Canadians

5 Americans

2 Swedish

1 Russian

Boston Bruins Roster 2014

13 Canadians

3 Swedish

1 American

1 Slovakian

1 Finnish

1 Dutch

fetch?filedataid=101999

Sure..Refute me with logic and back it with statistics. Here I am trying to liven the board up with 'Murcan and California jingoism and you ruin it with irrefutable stats.

I know Canadians are the majority in the NHL and I know the Kings and Ducks would be nothing without Canadians and foreign-born players. Hell, the Kings were so bad for so long it is nice to be able, now, to say that SoCal is a hockey powerhouse in the NHL.

• Members

Sure..Refute me with logic and back it with statistics. Here I am trying to liven the board up with 'Murcan and California jingoism and you ruin it with irrefutable stats.

I know Canadians are the majority in the NHL and I know the Kings and Ducks would be nothing without Canadians and foreign-born players. Hell, the Kings were so bad for so long it is nice to be able, now, to say that SoCal is a hockey powerhouse in the NHL.

lol, I'm just glad you like hockey.

• Members
Someone posted a thread that this place was mellow. I'm gonna spice it up a bit:

First: Who says Canada is the land of ice hockey? A Canadian team has not won the Stanley Cup in ages. Two teams from Southern California have won it in the past eight years and one, the LA Kings, have won it twice in the last three years with Chicago (may as well be in Canada) winning last year.

Land of ice hockey...Is Southern California...Eh?

On a more serious note: That is a far move, especially going from Australia to Canada, and from a climate much like SoCal's to one that is rainy. Gonna be a big adjustment for you. Good on you for doing it to help out pops. Best of luck!

South Okanagan valley is not rainy. It's classed desert south of Kelowna. Cactus, sage brush, jack pine and rattlesnakes. Nothing like the west coast.

osoyoosdesertjpegsizexxlargeletterbox_zps2e0003e7.jpeg

We have big lakes. What's green is irrigated. Look at the hill in the background. (not rain forest)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZADl85-i3-U

• Members

I lived in Naramata years back. It's 1/2 way between Kelowna and Penticton on the East side of the lake. Knew people in both those towns. Summers are yummy and winters can be a lot of fun if you can get into skiing or something that takes advantage of the snow. Before the highway winters could be a bit isolating, but now you're only a few hours from Calgary or Vancouver, so civilization is close at hand. Certainly much worse places to be - in fact, that's one of the better spots in canuckville.

My Dad lives in Canada and while cognitively fine, is requiring a little help in his twilight years and having a Canadian passport, I'll be moving over to help him out. So, I've sold all but my best strat and my Les Paul. I do not have an amp, acoustic, nothing but the two. In short, I'm looking forward to shopping at reasonable prices. I'm pretty certain they'll be a Martin Acoustic in my arsenal very soon. Not sure about which amp to get? I did like my Bugera V22 but will keep an open mind. Some guy on the local classifieds where I'll be living is selling a Mesa Boogie Express 5:25 which looks interesting.

Bit of bad timing work wise as I recently got promoted but my qualifications are fully transferable and I'm financially stable so next week, off I go!

Archived