What Pots Do I Use?

burton4snow

• Members

I just bought a Kent Armstrong Stealth Noiseless P-90 and I am going to put it in a guitar with only one knob. I am going get a concentric knob so I can control both volume and tone and the concentric pots are 500/500 and 500/250. Which would be the best for this pickup?

• Members

If those are your only two options, It's probably more preference. The 500/500 could be overly bright. You may have a little more luck with the 500/250. That's typically the setup I use in a Tele with a neck humbucker, not using concentric pots tho.

• Members

If those are your only two options' date=' [/quote']

Actually 300K linear pots for Volumes and 500K for tones are commonly used with P90's. The linear 300K volumes extended the usable range of the tones without getting muddy when you turned them down.

This also seems to tame the higher output of the coils in comparison to a Fe3nder type pup and give them a full range tone. Since these are generic pickups, I'm not sure how high the pickups impedances are. Some overwound pups may sound better with a 250K and some vintage winds might benefit from a higher pot to give the signal some extra gain to drive an amp.

What I'd do is just try what you got and is it sounds too muddy or flabby try a 300K and see if that brightens it up and tames it a bit.

• Members

Actually 300K linear pots for Volumes and 500K for tones are commonly used with P90's. The linear 300K volumes extended the usable range of the tones without getting muddy when you turned them down.

This also seems to tame the higher output of the coils in comparison to a Fe3nder type pup and give them a full range tone. Since these are generic pickups, I'm not sure how high the pickups impedances are. Some overwound pups may sound better with a 250K and some vintage winds might benefit from a higher pot to give the signal some extra gain to drive an amp.

What I'd do is just try what you got and is it sounds too muddy or flabby try a 300K and see if that brightens it up and tames it a bit.

He stated that his only two options were the concentric pots with 500/500 and 500/250

Archived