Korg 01w is not booting

• Members

Hi All

i was offered a korg 01f/d for a hundred euros that seems to have an important issue, it is trying to boot but with no luck it shows the logo and only the combi button works, does it really worth it to buy or is it something that cant be fixed ?

Any ideas would be helpful, thanks in advance.

• Members

Hi - I don't own one of these, but I did some checking around. First of all there is a typical CR2032 battery that may need replacing. Other than that, I've only found some info on "Initialization" by holding "Reset" and "Compare" whle turning it on. Sorry I don't have more for you.

Good luck.

• Members

May be the batter but even if it is, its no guarantee it will boot after replacing.

The data could have been wiped out on the rom chips and they may or may not be rewritable by a user.

I'd say steer clear for a few reasons. One, a normal tech cant repair them. He has no access to schematics or parts.

All he can do is send it in to have it repaired, and you could do that yourself without his mark up.

If you send it into the manufacturer, all they do is swap boards. They don't even troubleshoot it to component levels. They send the boards off to be reworked at the factory and if they cant fix them in an hour they throw them away. If its a battery then it may be done there and they'll still probably charge you a mint for a $2 disk battery.

Unfortunately this is the way of electronics today. The gear has become so complex and inexpensive to manufacturer its not worth repairing. Its all pretty much disposable, just like old computers are. They melt it down for the gold and silver. That's about it.

• Members

Well with a dead battery you would get some kind of display. I have a had a few. If you are not seeing anything it's a motherboard issue and that is worse. Korg doesn't keep old parts in stock. I went through it a few years ago.

• Members

From what i was told since the synth is not around for a personal check, there is a display that works fine it just doesnt get to the first "Dawn of time" sound if he is willing to send it over for half of the asking price then i will do it otherwise not, thanks all for your time to asnwer this thread.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived