Looking for Phish Keyboard Transcriptions

Binkeys

• Members

I have noticed that deaf people make tabs and chord charts sometimes, so may the force be with you.....these are more or less guitar chords, but that's how I prefer to play sheet music on keys (much faster) and by playing that way, if I know a song well enough to hum it, I can play and sing it the first time that I play it.....I prefer this method to stacking up notes on a page and saying "What do we have here ?"....it's much faster....also, I notice some sheet music puts the melody line in where it should be carried by the vocals.....that ruins the song in my opinion and makes it sound kinda like elevator music (it kinda removes the nads if you know what I mean)....

The drawback to playing by guitar chords is if you don't know the song at all, you won't know what kind of rhythm to put in it and you can't really play it.....people who play sheet music by printed notes are going to sound very much like other people who play music by printed notes on any given piece of music if they are at the same level of sight-reading.....this could be compared to the results two people end up with if they both use a typewriter and type out a chapter of a book.....they will both end up with pretty much the same thing and depending on who transcribed the sheet music, it can be very wrong (chords can be very wrong too)......

What's ideal is to know how to play by notes and play by chords.....when I play by guitar chords and my right hand is playing lead at the same time, you change scales with the right as the chords change so your right hand stays in tune (naturally).....some notes are common in the scale you are playing and the scale you are going to and these notes can act as bridges to seamlessly connect the lead.......if chords pass too quickly, play something melodic that fits the changes until it stays on single chords again.....naturally if you work out solos or parts of your solos ahead of time, they can be much more thought-provoking as more thought has went into the creation process.....it's also nice to write solos that are entirely different than the chord's rhythm but yet it works and fits......

https://www.google.com/search?source...q=Phish%20tabs

• Members

Maybe it's just me ... but wouldn't using scores/sheet music/tabs/whatever to play Phish tunes just ruin the whole vibe (being that Phish is a "jam band")? I think that winging it may be the only respectable way to do such tunes justice!

• Members

If music is simple, there's not much need for the chords, but even then, if the chords are right, it does speed the whole process up....I enjoy playing from chords regardless of what the band is as I can spend more time making synth sounds and learning leads for the song during the time I would be figuring out the chords by ear.....

Music Theory -

http://www.harmonycentral.com/forum/forum/Keyboards/acapella-18/31169632-music-theory

• Members
Maybe it's just me ... but wouldn't using scores/sheet music/tabs/whatever to play Phish tunes just ruin the whole vibe (being that Phish is a "jam band")? I think that winging it may be the only respectable way to do such tunes justice!

It's for a pickup wedding gig... no rehearsal, and some of the guys may never have played the tune before. Obviously, it'd be better to just learn the tune, but in this specific case, it's not likely that the whole band will have done so. Just trying to make the ig as easy as possible, given those constraints. If I have to, I can write it out, but if there was a published score/lead sheet, it'd save me the time.

• Members

Thanks Dan, that's perfect!

As a side point, I'm really quite surprised by thenegative comments made about transcriptions in this thread. Sure, there can be errors in published transcriptions, but musicians can also learn parts wrong by ear. In this case, buying the charts would save me the time from writing them out. We're going to play these tunes once, at a wedding, and likely never again.

Archived