Lineup changes and new video

• Members

Like several others here, my band just went through a retool.

What started as 4 dudes doing recent pop covers has turned in to a 2 female 1 male fronted band. Same songs, but much better impact.

If you have followed some of the past discussions here on BSWTB (especially with Grant), we are heavily tracked and make no apologies about it. It works for us.

We did a 4 camera video last Saturday at our weekly gig. The lighting was done with some of my movers and the house equipment. I am the dude in the dark on the right on keys. The audio was captured with 24 tracks and remixed, but no editing done on the performance.

This was the first song of the night.

• Members

The club has a lighting guy on staff. I brought my stuff and he ran it live for the night. The room is kind of challenging for lighting because the ceiling is low behind the drummer and above me (under 7'). It would be difficult to get a truss along the back so most of the movers were set on the floor or road cases.

Normally I don't bring the movers and the club sets their lighting stuff on auto. When there is a special event (or we want to shoot video) we bring the lighting guy in and a lot of my equipment.

In some of my prior videos we had a fully tracked lighting show with DMXIS, but since we are doing a weekly show the set list is all over the place. I thought about trying to tap dance (next/previous foot switches) but I already have too much going on with keys / guitar and driving the show.

• Members

Yeah, I hear you with the lighting stuff. I just got all the hardware/software for putting together a new show, but not sure what the best format would be. Initially I wanted to track the whole show, but the more I think about that, the more I believe it would restrict our performances too much. We change up arrangements a lot on the fly depending on how the audience is reacting to stuff. But I don't really want to be running the whole thing with my foot either since, like you, I'm playing keys/guitar and driving the show.

My goal is to have someone run the show remotely via an iPad or somesuch. Adding a full-time light tech who maybe DJ'd during the breaks would be pretty cool.

• Moderators

Nice job!!! Drums bass and keys all sound great! Vocals are good. Lights rule. Very cool...

Suggestion: You might consider strapping a compressor across just her vocal channel, or the vocal sub mix. And just taking off 3dB at her peaks. She sounds great but doesn't have working the mic down yet. Conservative compression would make her sound fabulous.

nice work!

Archived