Looking at new combo amps

WynnD

• Members

OK, it was new in 72 and a single split pickup. I took a chisel to the wood under the pickguard and cut out space for a small transformer that I used as a choke with a bunch of capacitors and a rotary switch. This created a notch filter. (As I recall.) It was all trial and error coming up with the combinations that I eventually soldered in. So after drilling a mounting hole in the pick guard for the extra control, I purchased a set of Kustom type of control knobs. I just like them, they feel good and give good leverage. I'm betting that was one of the first things replaced by it's new owner. Like I said, I don't run anything full out when playing bass. So the Acoustic 136 had a lot of available headroom on the volume knob, so I just added a bit there and them just made all changes at the bass. I did make sure that one of my options was the stock P bass sound. It's only one sound, but it's a really great sound. I miss having one.

• Members

My inspiration for all this was a guitarist I knew named John Kennedy. He had a Dan Armstrong bass that he used for creating his music. He had done something similar with the single pickup bass and I spent about 20 minutes with it and don't think I ever got the same sound out of it twice. It was amazing. Looked fully stock. Wonder what ever happened to him? He would probably be about 70 now. Very creative guy.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

People have always complained about how heavy my basses are. At 61, I'm starting to notice it too.

I'm older, and am developing an intense dislike of shifting heavy weights around. The last two guitar amps I bought were each in three pieces, amp and two separate single-speaker cabs. Much easier to deal with the weight of individual pieces.

And then mostly we play through the PA anyway, without individual amps at all. We don' need no steenkin' stage noise!

-D44

• Members
OK, it was new in 72 and a single split pickup. I took a chisel to the wood under the pickguard and cut out space for a small transformer that I used as a choke with a bunch of capacitors and a rotary switch. This created a notch filter. (As I recall.) It was all trial and error coming up with the combinations that I eventually soldered in. So after drilling a mounting hole in the pick guard for the extra control, I purchased a set of Kustom type of control knobs. I just like them, they feel good and give good leverage. I'm betting that was one of the first things replaced by it's new owner. Like I said, I don't run anything full out when playing bass. So the Acoustic 136 had a lot of available headroom on the volume knob, so I just added a bit there and them just made all changes at the bass. I did make sure that one of my options was the stock P bass sound. It's only one sound, but it's a really great sound. I miss having one.

So it was basically as Varitone with a 1H coil and caps.

• Members

It was probably something like this. http://music-electronics-forum.com/a...6-varitone.gif

A regular Varitone just uses a coil instead of a transformer. The results would have been the same so long as the transformer primary had a similar rating in Henries. The caps were likely different so they targeted a basses lower frequency ranges. http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a22...c/varitone.gif

I prefer to use an active circuit myself. Artec makes some mini circuits that take up less space and the current drain is so low the battery lasts for a year with regular use. I even left a guitar plugged in for two weeks accidentally with the circuit active and it was still working fine.

Archived