Listeners and the Skip button...

• Members

I'm guilty of it. Its not only music though. If I'm watching Commercial Television I'll switch channels so I don't have to sit through 8 minutes of commercials and jump between two or three shows. Or The ones I record, I'll fast forward through the add blitzes.

As far as music goes, Most musicians have a trained ear for production and musical arrangement. Most know what groove they're in know what groove they want to elevate them. It doesn't take long to discover if the music has some new hook that interests him or its just some rehashed arrangement used by others a thousand times before. Sometimes I may get hooked on something I've played before or have my attention drawn to something I would have liked to compose. In most cases that intro tells me what the rest of the song is going to be before I hear it. Not all the time. You can be surprised.

I think a longer intro/theme carefully built up can draw someone's attention immediately and keep the listeners attention even if what's at the end of the buildup and the groove the band finally establishes isn't as hot as it could be. Many bands don't spend much time on their intros for their recordings, but you go see those same bands live after they been playing those songs out for awhile and you'll find all kinds of cool additions added to the live versions of those songs. Maybe the studio versions did need those quick intros to be pop songs played on the air. The additional intro exit music adds to the audience anticipation and makes the hear of the tune more exciting.

I watched an old Paul McCartney concert on TV the other day. You cant help but know all those songs having been saturated by them on the radio. I found myself skipping over many because they were just too familiar and I knew what the outcome would be. The ones I did listen to had interesting intros and very cool grooves even by todays standards that outdid the original studio cuts.

Archived