Why I don't own a Strat

gardo

• Members

fetch?filedataid=101109

The first diagram shows where the Fender vintage bridge plate binds when you use the trem because it bears on two points simultaneously as it pivots. This causes it to drag against the mounting screws and not always return to it's normal position immediately after use.

fetch?filedataid=101110

Properly designed bridge plate with a single pivot point. Quite a few aftermarket suppliers like Callaham sell these so it's a bit of a mystery why Fender hasn't even bothered to modify the original design for the last 60 years. It can't even be a cost thing as just moving the mounting screw holes back to the rear edge of the taper would improve the trem action and tuning stability quite a bit.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
My problem with strats are:

that dang middle pickup gets in the way when I play

most have a trem

the necks are rarely thick enough

Which is why I sold all of mine but one. Which I have never played. It's a pink Paisley fender MIJ.

Problems fixed, except the last one, maybe; and two more you didn't mention - that damn vol knob and wussy bridge pickup.

DSC00432.jpg

• Members
Yeah I got a Strat, a stock one with a stock trem...Same one it came with when I nought it new in '81. Yeah there are tuning issues if you get too wild with the trem, sometimes just the weather will throw it out of tune.

But I love the neck, I love the sound...What am I gonna do? Change a bunch of parts? Why? It's like my wife, she's put on some weight, gotten grouchy and difficult to maintain too. Haven't gotten rid of her yet.

Guess I'm just happy with both of 'em.

smiley-wink

Oh my gosh....awesome post dude.

• Members

Had a Fender Robert Cray MIM strat that was dang near perfect, feel and tone wise. Better axe than 99% of the MIA strats I owned - and I've owned a ton of them. About fifty I'd say. You know, give or take a few.

In non-Fender strats, I had a Suhr that was pretty amazing, but that neck was way too thin for me. A Crook in seafoam green was almost perfect for me - but it wasn't a hard tail.

crooks4.jpg

• Members

Unless you're being sarcastic..Thank you! If you are being sarcastic, Thanks for checking me on it!

No sir.....not very good at clever internet banter. Usually a straight shooter. Nice metaphor with the wifey. I've been married 22 years...no trade-ins. :)

Archived