special repertoire gigs

pogo97

• Members

We're working on a WWI gig in July and this Friday we're having a related gig where we'll do songs from 1910 to 1950 with an emphasis on river songs. It's kind of fun and, given the time, can be a chance to explore new areas and periods and gather some really excellent songs. Any of you folks take on that kind of gig? Like St. Patricks' but not St. Patricks'.

• Moderators

I've done (a long time back as a sit in) a WWII themed show at a local restaurant that is themed for that era. Lots of jitterbug/bigband material...I would actually like to be able to do that on a regular basis...hmmm...

the WWI theme is interesting, but I'm thinking how many rags and Cohan tunes can you do without it getting hokey or repetitive? Obviously the selection and pacing are crucial.

The river theme...interesting idea... Suwanee...Up a Lazy...Moon...Across the Wide Missouri..Mississippi Moon...

• Members
I...the WWI theme is interesting' date=' but I'm thinking how many rags and Cohan tunes can you do without it getting hokey or repetitive? Obviously the selection and pacing are crucial....[/quote']

Our strategy is that we're treating this as a gig "as it would have taken place in 1918." In other words, we'll do songs that would likely have been played at a concert in 1918. As is the case now, the selection of songs can go back any number of years -- just not forward. So we'll do mostly songs from the 00s and 10s but also some Stephen Foster and parlor and music hall songs from the second half of the 19th century. That's a pretty big garden to be picking fruit in and there are lots of dandy songs to be had. I'm still exploring and finding more each day.

I only have one Cohan song on my list: "Give My Regards to Broadway." That's enough. And, sadly, I don't have the left hand to play convincing ragtime. But then, there would have lots of players in 1918 that didn't play rags either (but allowed a raggy beat into their accompaniments anyway).

• Members

Pretty much most of my musical "career" has been repertoire gigs. I even have different stage names for the different types of gigs. For my rock and roll gigs, I'm "Michael D.". For German gigs, I'm "Maximillian". When I play the bagpipes, I'm "Michael Dundee." On Monday I'm doing a Cinco de Mayo gig as "Miguel David". I even did an Irish gig once as "Paddy O'Furniture". I love show business!

• Members

We did a gig at the museum yesterday for their exhibition preview. Music from 1910 to 1949--to compliment the exhibits. It's very much a meet and mingle event, so there was no audience to speak of but lots of folks came by to compliment us. We were in good form and enjoyed the event thoroughly. Shorter hours and paid better than a bar gig, too. I found my grandfather's name on a big board listing Gananoquians who served in WWI. Two lists: "Killed" and "Living." He was among the living.

• Members
...The river theme...interesting idea... Suwanee...Up a Lazy...Moon...Across the Wide Missouri..Mississippi Moon...

I use iTunes playlists a lot when I'm finding themed songs. For example, I have a playlist of water songs. I also mark the year of composition for any songs that I might someday learn. Put the two together in a smart playlist and:

water songs from 1900 to 1950:

Between the Devil & the Deep Blue Sea 1932

By the Beautiful Sea 1914

Canoe Song 1935

Down By The Old Mill Stream 1912

How Deep Is the Ocean? 1932

I do like to be beside the Seaside 1907

I Sent My Wife to the Thousand Isles 1916

Lazy River 1930

The Oceana Roll 1912

Ol' Man River 1927

Paddlin' Madeline Home 1925