Preamp for iPhone?

FitchFY

• Members

I figure all of us occasionally record some video with our iPhones around live music - either ourselves or another band. The sonic impact is of course harsh - loud volume to a sensitive mic. Do any of you know of a "preamp" you can download that will run before the audio mic on the iPhone for something like that?

I'm playing a show next weekend where I promised my young cousin, who's starting to drum, that I'd film one of the songs and send it over. I was looking for a way to do it that may sound good!

• Members

Depending on the iPhone (and band) you might not even distort the mic if it's well-placed. They can take well over 100dB. The mics in BlackBerry Playbooks are even better. They are stereo (and you can tell!) and take ever higher SPLs. You can put 'em on stage and they won't distort until your ears hurt. In which case, you are too loud anyhow.

Do let me know if you find something great, though!

Oh, one more thing - the recording app matters too. The built-in voice recorder compresses the poop out of the audio. Try and find something better.

Wes

• Members

PPS: the iPhone has a serious roll-off under 200Hz. This is a combination of the built-in microphone and EQ. The EQ is present even if you plug in an external microphone to the microphone port. The recording app can disable it if your OS is new enough. I think iOS 6.1 is the first version that exposed the control to disable the LF roll-off to software.

• Members

I highly recommend this app:

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/voice-record-pro/id546983235

I also just got a Tascam iM2 mic for cheap but it only works with the older iDevices with the 30 pin connector:

http://www.hellomusic.com/items/im2-ios-microphone-white

I got one of the black ones for half that price but those are sold out :( .

I haven't actually used it yet.

• Members

Good find, RR - I still have some older iDevices around here, I may pick up one of those iM2s. $17 is still cheap.

Does that software have an option to turn off the compressor? My beef with the stock recorder is that you don't get much in the way of dynamic range.

Wes

• Members
Does that software have an option to turn off the compressor? My beef with the stock recorder is that you don't get much in the way of dynamic range.
Is suspect the "compression" is in the iPad's analog path so any digital input like the iM2 doesn't have any - I've not noticed any using my DL1608 as the input. The iM2 has a level control on it and works up to 125 dB according to it's manual. BTW mine is the $15 white one, dunno why I remember it being like $7 smiley-frustrated .

Archived