Telecaster Deluxe 72 Reissue - Any owners?

• Members

When Best Buy was getting out of guitars they had one in walnut that I was looking at. While I was waiting for the price to come down a little more someone else grabbed it up.

Just couldn't quite pull the trigger.

4666.jpg

• Members

I have a few friends that own them. Ones an actual 70's version and ones a new one.

To me they are kind of a hybrid. Fenders attempt to attract Gibson lovers. It wound up being its own unique animal.

The big difference between the new ones and vintage are the pickups. The new pups aren't anything like the vintage

as you can see here.

http://curtisnovak.com/pickups/repairs/WRHB-ri/

http://curtisnovak.com/pickups/repai...tGoodSounding/

The neck is more Strat then Tele and it doesn't sound like a traditional Tele. It could have been given its own name. Stratcaster?

• Members

I've played many Tele Custom and Tele Deluxe models from the 70s -- both back in the day and in recent times. The CuNiFe WideRange pickups on the original 70s models sound more cutting and metallic than today's darker smoother sounding Fender WideRange pickups -- which have been produced since the 90s.

There's also a difference between the current modern-era Fender WideRange pickups. The MIM Fender WideRange pickups use an AlNiCo bar magnet whereas the MIJ/CIJ Fender-Japan WideRange pickups us a ceramic bar magnet. The Fender-Japan WideRange pickups sound somewhat more like the originals -- but only somewhat. ;)

• Members

The separate pole magnets in the vintage pups are more like a vintage Strat or Tele pickup which also use separate poles.

The bar magnet build is more like a traditional Humbucker. Its not a bad sound, but it is quite different.

• Members

The Fender White Chris Shifflet model Telecaster Custom should be considered. The pickups are more Gibson looking having all six pole pieces in a row instead od 3x3. The guitar is very lively and the build quality is really nice. It has a nice tight neck pocket, has a four bolt neck, med/large frets and a belly contor like a Strat. The tonal range on this guitar is surprising. Well done Fender!

• Moderators
The Fender White Chris Shifflet model Telecaster Custom should be considered. The pickups are more Gibson looking having all six pole pieces in a row instead od 3x3. The guitar is very lively and the build quality is really nice. It has a nice tight neck pocket' date=' has a four bolt neck, med/large frets and a belly contor like a Strat. The tonal range on this guitar is surprising. Well done Fender![/quote']

Hey Rich, great to see you:)

I did see that.

1 Wrong colour

2 Stock humbuckers

Too new to pick up a bargain

Archived