Question which pertains to Behringer, and also Peavey, Crest, etc.

• Members

JV90 wrote:

I've always knew that spl and rms watts are totally in conjunction, what about a powered speaker that says that it have 1000 watts? It would be true of not? Maybe the pro audio is moving to get us accept some new waveform to understand theirs philosophy of measurement, is like the Pmpo watts that the audio home equipments are using

PMPO= para medio poder oir; it means, "at least to be heard"

This is not at all accurate. SPL and power are related only when you use sensitivity as a relational factor, and then you need to factor in power compression as a derating factor.

essentially: (power x sensitivity) - power compression = SPL

• Replies 508
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • CMS Author

JV90 wrote:

But let's wait the answer of some behringer representative regarding how to deal with the specs of power rating over a power amp or powered speaker, does the rms value and spl db still counts? Or not?

"And now a word from our sponsor.

Regarding waiting, the discussion of common/standardized amp output testing methods has been raging since Monday, and was brought up much earlier in this epic tome. Behringer's monitor's spotted my "And the utter silence from Behringer speaks volumes" and Joe responded on Tuesday. Here we are Thursday morning.

This isn't and can't be a "real time" discussion if they can't really discuss in real time. I'm also not very confident it won't be yet another ad for their products. This is a general topic. If the thread wasn't an unmanageable epic, I'd have culled this topic and moved it to a new thread.

Frankly, I think it's run its course. What I'm hearing from the industry is that there's no interest in a common standard. Let's face it, a common standard doesn't benefit every vendor, so why would they all agree to it? Barring legislated standards, this will never happen. I knew that going in, but I was also very curious about how plausible any one set of standards could be. I'm hearing, "hopelessly complicated", but I am at the opposite swing of the pendulum from Don and Andy, so the truth could be somewhere in the middle. But again, there is no desire among manufacturers to adopt a common standard.

If there was, it would have happened without a nobody like me asking for it.

• Members

Passionate? C'mon Craigv... Just because sb and I use their products and achieve good results from it doesn't mean that we just see them, there are other brands too to look, besides in on all the hype advertising, spam, shill(although I don't even know what the hell that means cause I've never heard that) if you look up closely behringer had responded with our whitout it , I too realize that the other members that work with other brands are here too collaborating whitout the spam or advertising of their products, however, I think that if they are in the line of fire and acussed of this and that they'll try to respond.... And it depends up to you to see if their response is up to your like our not (in general. Not you Craigv), so like said in other post of him, if they work for me? Why I should look into another brand? However, on my gear there is another brand that I use over my speakers, I should had way to went with behringer for the speaker's? No, I like this other brand, and I think that they're better and tell the true regarding the output, so, I really do like behringer products as you seem, but, sb and I are open mind to get another brands that are unknown to the guys of this forum or to an us citizen forum, and that's not a bad thing, you got your way to understand what is spam, advertising, recommendations, whatever, and i got mine, but, I really feel passionate with my work, my family and God(if you believe in him of course, if you don't? Well you understand what I'm saying)

• CMS Author

I'm not sure where you're going with this, JV90. When I state that you support behringer passionately, this does not imply that Behringer is all you are interested in. It simply means that you feel and argue strongly that Behringer products have worked for you. For people who complain about a poor product experience, it means that they feel strongly that the failure had a negative impact on them. There's no other implied meaning.

You mentioned that you do not understand the concept of a "shill". A "shill" in the forum context typically is someone who may or may not work for a company, but attempts to appear as someone not related to the company and posts exclusively to support them. Such a person may also use the tactic of consistently being negative about any or all competing companies.

• Members

I see, thanks for the clarification of that, to both of you, however, I don't work for behringer at all, I'm just a happy owner of some items of them that works that's all, but, I'm not going to any place, neither trying to tell something, just my opinion; if you think that my post was to hard on the answering? Really try to accept my apologies...

And let's be honest, my behringer had work since I bought them, so I can't understand why some of you had horror history with their products, and some not (my example),

• Members

I personally never took you or SB as shills... since I can conceive that just as I have had my share of horror stories... that there are probably those in the world for which those products work perfectly every time and for those people it must seem like the best value in the world and why would anyone pay more?!?

But Craig's vigilance is warranted... and much appreciated..

• CMS Author

JV90 wrote:

I see, thanks for the clarification of that, to both of you, however, I don't work for behringer at all, I'm just a happy owner of some items of them that works that's all, but, I'm not going to any place, neither trying to tell something, just my opinion; if you think that my post was to hard on the answering? Really try to accept my apologies...

And let's be honest, my behringer had work since I bought them, so I can't understand why some of you had horror history with their products, and some not (my example),

Your posts are fine. But people have to allow all opinions to be expressed without accusing the poster of being unfair. Passion is fine, as long as it's expressed in a civil and respectful manner.

You can't understand complaints because your tiny sampling of products has worked fine. I don't know your age or how long you've been involved with live sound, but I'm 51 and have done this, on and off, since the 70's. People don't post for no reason. If we hadn't seen and experienced and read so many problems, we would not state it.

Keep in mind that Uli himself has stated here that they had quality control issues. He's admitted the company reputation has been poor.

• Members

Yes, that's imply over the behringer catalogs when you get a product; I'm 41,and I've been in the business since my 15's; I used to work with some major companies of sound production and lighting equipment for shows over my place , that's were my understanding comes, they thought me in the good or wrong cases to look for this and that, I without any knowledge at all started to work with them, I really like and still do like at all, then I had to start saving money to get my gear, and go by myself,

Lol, I just called my brother who knows far more English that I do and asked him if he knows the term of shill, be replied to me asking were I haved heard that? And if I was mistaken shield vs shill, and he also didn't have a clue;

Lol

• CMS Author

JV90 wrote:

Yes, that's imply over the behringer catalogs when you get a product; I'm 41,and I've been in the business since my 15's; I used to work with some major companies of sound production and lighting equipment for shows over my place , that's were my understanding comes, they thought me in the good or wrong cases to look for this and that, I without any knowledge at all started to work with them, I really like and still do like at all, then I had to start saving money to get my gear, and go by myself,

Lol, I just called my brother who knows far more English that I do and asked him if he knows the term of shill, be replied to me asking were I haved heard that? And if I was mistaken shield vs shill, and he also didn't have a clue;

Lol

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shill

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/shill (popup City. be warned)

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/shill

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=shill

Archived