Through neck Strats: Is the sustain better?

Chordite

• Members

Pardon me, as I am not reading these books already written here.

*I feel that the bridge and nut have more to do with sustain than anything.

*My strat plus with its 2 point trem and LSR nut sustains as well, if not better than my dads 2003 LP Standard (gibson)

*I am not sure more sustain is such a great thing

*I personally hate the feel of neck through guitars..... I hate vintage Carvin guitars (for example) that others seem to get intense boners over.....due to that crappy neck-thru feel

• Members

*I am not sure more sustain is such a great thing

Maybe one of these then :)

DV016_Jpg_Large_1328283436148_A.jpg

Seriously the lack of sustain in a banjo may hold a key, like eliminate all the areas in common with a guitar like neck, headstock, nut and bridge the big difference is head (dynamic) vs body (rigid)

• Members
P

*I personally hate the feel of neck through guitars..... I hate vintage Carvin guitars (for example) that others seem to get intense boners over.....due to that crappy neck-thru feel

Heh, heh, heh.

I'm just the opposite. For me Neck Thru is the best feeling, playing and most comfortably solid of the three types.

I love the heelless design and easy access to the upper frets. No hindering my playing.

I own all three types. Neck thru, bolt on, set neck. Typical bolt on and set neck are just the nature of the beast. They are part of the classic design , so you learn to work around the heel or avoid the upper register all together. Which some do. For me neck thru has no limitation. Nothing there to get in my way. I don't have to alter my technique in order to play the upper frets.

zAjr4.jpgbu6hR.jpg

Z4TFk.jpg87ZnZ.jpg

Push comes to shove, I'll always take neck thru of the others.

• Moderators
I on all 3 types and on bolt ons it depends if both piece of wood vibrate well together same with set necks. Neck thru guitars don't have that problem. Neck thru guitar have stronger fundamental tone. It's really down to how well the guitar sounds played unplugged a dead sounding guitar will sound dead when plugged in.

In my opinion, where neck through guitars may often appear to win out in the sustain stakes, is that they don't suffer the Bolt on Neck 101s, ie neck shimmed with inappropriate materials, necks shimmed at all, neck pockets with paint still thickly laying in them, necks badly screwed into neck pockets where the bolts going through the body are screwed into the body and neck instead of having clearance through the body and then pulling the neck joint tight. Once a bolt on neck is executed as well as possible and for me the pickups are mounted to the body, then it is to all intents and purposes the same physics as a neck through. Oh and for me, a bolt on neck needs set screws and metal inserts.

• Members

Heh, heh, heh.

I'm just the opposite. For me Neck Thru is the best feeling, playing and most comfortably solid of the three types.

I love the heelless design and easy access to the upper frets. No hindering my playing.

I own all three types. Neck thru, bolt on, set neck. Typical bolt on and set neck are just the nature of the beast. They are part of the classic design , so you learn to work around the heel or avoid the upper register all together. Which some do. For me neck thru has no limitation. Nothing there to get in my way. I don't have to alter my technique in order to play the upper frets.

zAjr4.jpgbu6hR.jpg

Z4TFk.jpg87ZnZ.jpg

Push comes to shove, I'll always take neck thru of the others.

Beautiful guitars, but I couldn't play them.... I gotta have that bolt on.....and I live in the 15-22 fret area a lot.....guess I have learned to work around it. I also can't hack 24 fret guitars. Never could. I don't have a good reason why accept that I agree with Satch that for some reason they make artificial harder than a 21/22 fret.

• Members

Thanks, Scottie.

That's why it's a good thing that there's a lot of variety in guitars. Everyone has what works for them.

Interesting enough is that Satch is playing 24 frets these days. He does have the neck pickup pushed tight against the end of the fretboard though,

So, he can keep that tonal sweet spot, I guess.

JS2410_MCO_00_01.jpg

Archived