It's time for In Ears...

TrickyBoy

• Members

Hi hats are essential. I can't play well without having the hats going thru my ears pretty loudly. That's my click-track! The only drums we run through the monitor mixer are kick, snare and hats, and snare is probably not necessary as it bleeds thru the other mics pretty well. Pretty sure I have the snare turned off in my ears.

Stereo is cool, but certainly not necessary. Not that much you can do unless you're micing/liningthe instruments in stereo. Otherwise you're just panning the keys to one side and the guitar to the other or some such. One cool trick you can do with stereo IEMs though is to run your own vocal much hotter to one side on your own mix and then you can have an effective "more me" mix by using the balance control on your receiver pak.

As far as ambient noise goes, some bud manufacturers offer the ability to drill an ambient hole into the buds so some sound leaks thru. The girls in my band use these and say they sound great, but I have no real way to compare it. If I find I'm really missing out on the room sound, I'll usually just crack one of the buds a bit.

• Members

In my band my mixer has 12 stereo outputs and everyone has stereo but nobody really uses it. I tried it myself with various amounts of panning but I like it more when everything is centered. Only the keys and drum overheads (2) are left and right sources. The rest is mono anyway. We dont have ambient mics but if you dont gate the mics on stage I get just enough room sound from them.

You really need at least one drum overhead in your mix. On my mix I have bass drum and overheads and floor tom. Some songs have some sort of 'hihat pattern' on the floor tom that I need to hear.

• Members

I was running my keys in stereo with the aux send coming back to me in mono. Then we had a situation where I couldn't run in stereo, and I decided I didn't miss it. It cut my cabling in half, so now, it's mono for everything.

• Members

I already protect myself at gigs (and anywhere with high volumes for extended periods) with custom earplugs by Westone, but no one else uses anything to protect their hearing.

Right before christmas, I bought an Alesis DM10 X kit, and we started rehearsing (again) through a JamHub GreenRoom. When we used it previously, I was playing an acoustic kit and there were no amps making noise, but the e-drums make nearly silent rehearsal possible. I would say I sing backup better with earbuds than I do with a monitor sitting on the floor pointed at my head.

We will probably test using the JamHub as a monitor device but with acoustic drums and amps. I'll split the three vocals, sending XLR to the JamHub and to the mixer. Us three singers can then wear earbuds that have enough bleed through to hear the other instruments that aren't running through the mixer. It *should* work. I imagine if the guitar players want to hear vocals better than just through the mains, they can wear some earbuds too.

CAN'T WAIT to stop carrying monitors.

Side note: I saw Volbeat and two openers on Friday night. 1264 capacity venue. Eight speaker hanging array on each side, three dual 18" sub cabinets on each side just in front of the stage, no wider than the arrays. I was at the barrier, so four feet from SL subs, and seven feet from the first monitors on stage. First two bands were IEM only. The crew gets things ready for Volbeat, and the monitors were last to be checked for levels and EQ. The volume from the closest three (nine total on stage) made my pants shake. Not quite as much as the subs had, but they were LOUD. Singer for Volbeat does not use IEM, the other three guys do. There were a couple feedback squeaks during the first few songs, so things were rockin' and rollin', for sure.

Oh yeah, the bass player for Volbeat recognized me from the two shows I attended last year. LAST YEAR.

• Members

What's your budget ? wired or wireless ? Also do yourself a huge favor have custom buds made for you will yield way better results. Also as already mentioned a limiter is needed to protect your ears in case some drunk idiots gets on stage and knocks a mic over to avoid the loud thump and usually instant feedback.

• Members

Definitely a good move! I went from fronting a band and having to push to hear myself (yes, even with volume restraint and really F'n good musicians, I had to push myself to be able to hear my vocals, imagine that) to really being able to address the mic and SING - using all that technique stuff that most singers forget about once they have to start yelling..!

Caffeine will also contribute to tinnitus. Sad to say. So if you are a coffee-all-day guy like me, it is most definitely not helping.

I've never been ashamed of being that guy in earplugs, either. I worked for years in live sound and plan to play music in bands until I die. I want my ears to last that long. I've used foam ones, with the obvious issue of the actual sound being mushed and recently I've started to really be an advocate for the Planet Waves filtered plugs. Since I don't often get a chance to use my IEM unit (10-minute turnovers on original music showcases don't give you time to dial in the ears...)

Wynn, I really want to read your posts and give you a chance. But. Every. Time. You. Respond. You. Send. Me. Into. Fits. Of. Rage. - It's become obvious that you are just too old. really. Real rock music requires at least a certain technique and approach on the drums, which cannot be tamed without losing its 'thing' - and the rest of the world is not going to convert to being mandal-wearing yacht rockers, so understand that some of us have real experience (maybe even moreso than you) and that you cannot be right all the F'n time. ... Apparently you are the best musician in the world and play the best shows at the best volumes and your bandmates are all wrong all the time (that's when you know you are the problem). I've never used the 'ignore' feature, but I think I'll explore how that works.

Enjoy your smooth jazz lunchtime gigs, I'm gonna crank my 40 watter into the face-melting zone and make it tear some ladies clothes off! ROCK AND ROLL!

look into the filters I use, I recommend that everyone have a pair just in case, and they make going to concerts comfortable as well http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/PacatoEarPlug/

Archived