Now this looks interesting - Tiles

http://www.thetileapp.com/#this-is-tile

They're small little tiles that transmit their location to your iOS device. Seems like something that could be useful for keeping track on all kinds of things, including the kind of stuff around the studio that has a tendency to "grow legs and walk away", if you know what I mean...

At $20 each (less when buying multiple Tiles) they're not all that expensive either. Might be worth it to try a few out and see how they work. They're only doing pre-orders though, and won't be shipping until this summer.

I don't know if it's GPS or not... it sounds like it may be proximity, coupled with networking. If anyone gets close to your "missing" tile, it sends a message to the network. I think that's how it works. I'd be interested in learning more about the proximity / transmission range.

• 1 month later...
  • Members

I saw those a few months ago and thought they might be good for tracking stolen guitars, etc... I've been talking with them, and they admit it's not a good solution. Here's the problems they pointed out::

The Tile works through Bluetooth Low Energy. which has a limited range of 50 - 150ft if ideal conditions exist (their tech support rep admitted it's more like 100 feet with no walls in-between you and the Tile). If put inside a guitar case, that would reduce range. It cannot be put inside any shielded compartment, for example the electronics cavity of a guitar.

It is proximity based, so as Blue2Blue pointed out, it's a guessing game. And that is only if you are still within 150ft of it. So stick it on some piece of gear, and you will be notified when it gets out of range, not where it is.

The concept of the "limitless range" they are promoting is when this does become available and more people download the app it has the potential to be limitless. All that means is that someone with an iPhone (only works with iOS) has the app installed comes within 100ft, the location of the phone with the app (not the object's location) is recorded and sent to you (that is, if you have gone on to the Tile site and list that item as stolen.) This needs to happen within 1 year (battery life is 1 year) and is in ideal conditions (the Tile is not inside of something that could block the signal - for example inside a case.) Knowing that cases are kept in the back storage area of pawn shops and instrument stores, chances of someone getting near that case are minimal.

Archived