Ramsdell "RoadRanger" monitors

• Members
How are they sounding Ron?

Very flat and they were measured at -6db @ 100hz so only need a HPF if you're feeding them much below that. They sound fine with the backwash from the mains filling in the low end. They do eliminate the "boomyness" you normally get from the mic's proximity effect and allow the performers to really hear their vocals. I guess some performers would find it a bit unsettling to hear themselves that well? Maybe a sonic maximizer would work to muddy them up if needed :facepalm::lol: .

• Members

Very flat and they were measured at -6db @ 100hz so only need a HPF if you're feeding them much below that. They sound fine with the backwash from the mains filling in the low end. They do eliminate the "boomyness" you normally get from the mic's proximity effect and allow the performers to really hear their vocals. I guess some performers would find it a bit unsettling to hear themselves that well? Maybe a sonic maximizer would work to muddy them up if needed
:facepalm::lol:

I may look into some of these myself. Im looking for some small light weight boxes that will pack tight in a small cargo area for traveling. I dont need crazy loud or any real bottom end, like you stated the FOH low end will give us all we need.

Do you have any pic's you can post in the "packed up" tray?

• Members
I may look into some of these myself. Im looking for some small light weight boxes that will pack tight in a small cargo area for traveling. I dont need crazy loud or any real bottom end, like you stated the FOH low end will give us all we need.

Do you have any pic's you can post in the "packed up" tray?

No, I don't and if I did I don't know how I'd show how small a package them end up as, just under 15x15x30 for four in their tray. The trays are only good for loading them into - too heavy loaded to pick up. The guy that built them is thinking about making separate trays for each pair next time he builds some but for my application I think I prefer the quad trays. If you email him I suspect he might have a photo as he was maybe going to add them as a regular product.

• Members
Could you put casters on the trays? Wheel them out to the stage?

If you have room for casters you'd be better off getting the regular sized monitors and/or having wheeled cases made. These were specifically designed to fit a bunch in a hatchback or other space constrained vehicle. It's pretty easy to just grab a pair out of their tray and walk them in, even from the top tray when they are stacked two high :) .

• Members

Very flat and they were measured at -6db @ 100hz so only need a HPF if you're feeding them much below that. They sound fine with the backwash from the mains filling in the low end. They do eliminate the "boomyness" you normally get from the mic's proximity effect and allow the performers to really hear their vocals. I guess some performers would find it a bit unsettling to hear themselves that well? Maybe a sonic maximizer would work to muddy them up if needed
:facepalm::lol:

With that kind of response, you REALLY need a HPF of around 24dB/octave BW at around 80-100Hz to get the most out of those boxes.

• Members
With that kind of response, you REALLY need a HPF of around 24dB/octave BW at around 80-100Hz to get the most out of those boxes.

Yup, if I actually needed to maximize their SPL and there were non-HPF'd channels into them very true. With vocals only that are all HPF'd not-so-much. In any case I do have HPF's on my feeds and was able to put a bit of bass into the drummer's monitors no prob. The metal band with two fullstacks was happy enough but I did give them two each - only about 125w each though, they really weren't all that loud and had awesome harmonies :thu:. I had a bigger amp with me just-in-case but wanted to see what they would do at a reasonable (to me :p) power level.

• Members
Weird placement, seems like you'd want them close to each mic stand to gain efficiency. cool though.

I got "volunteered' to run music for a dance group between acts so wasn't the one who placed the monitors (and lost my lunch break :( ). Yah, with their 30 degree angle they were meant to snuggle up to the mic stands :) .

• Members

Basically this monitor:

cut down to allow two to pack as a 13-1/4" cube . This changes the low end from -3db @ 80Hz to -6db @ 100Hz .

So my question is, what is the high driver in them?

Is it their regular 1 3/8" screw on, or is it that "super tweeter" that Eminence makes?

Can you even mount the 1 3/8" in the coaxial drivers?

I've been considering this route for wedges myself.

• Members
So my question is, what is the high driver in them?

Is it their regular 1 3/8" screw on, or is it that "super tweeter" that Eminence makes?

Can you even mount the 1 3/8" in the coaxial drivers?

I've been considering this route for wedges myself.

Yes the Eminence Beta 10CX does take a standard screwon driver. These particular monitors are using a P Audio BM-D26S mostly chosen for it's low profile.

• 1 year later...
  • Members

I like the idea of a small lightweight monitor.   A monitor with a very small footprint on stage, and

plenty of output.

The monitors I have are 12" inch two ways in solid HEAVY birch boxes. 

They take up a lot of trailer space, and they add a lot of weight to the load.

How do they perform for you?

Any complaints from musicians?

• Members

Pro Sound Guy wrote:

I like the idea of a small lightweight monitor.   A monitor with a very small footprint on stage, and

plenty of output.

The monitors I have are 12" inch two ways in solid HEAVY birch boxes. 

They take up a lot of trailer space, and they add a lot of weight to the load.

How do they perform for you?

Any complaints from musicians?

I've had no complaints - quite the opposite. Saturday I was running running drum tracks and bass (player had no amp) through them up pretty loud. I did keep them HPF's at 100 Hz, there's no advantage in going lower as they roll off as ~120 Hz anyways. They are pretty efficient and my IPR1600's were limiting a bit freak.gif. I run some kick and bass into the drummer's monitor(s) also no problem. I usually carry six so try to give the drummer two and for a power trio two for each but one is pretty loud by itself. Not as loud as an RCF 310A but who wants that much SPL anywhere near your ears?

Archived