VOX TONELAB LE (GUITAR MULTI-EFFECTS PROCESSOR)

Jon Chappell

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Bensbeenjamin

View Post

I think Vox have brought more innovations to the guitar world then most people probably give them credit for...with that being said using tubes in a pedal along with the analog controls seems to me like every guitarists dream. You can take the tubes out of the amp but you can't take the tubes out of the guitarist.

yep,that little tube amp deal,not just preamp tube now,now the 12 ax7 is a power tube in the vox valvetronix wave.gif

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 704
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

So I FINALLY got through all 31 pages. Lots of good information in there. I've had my TLLE since last summer and had to put it in storage until I moved. I've had the itch too long and have started tinkering with it again. One thing I was hoping one of you could answer is if there's any way to get a dual delay going on the TL? I know there are obviously delays in the delay section of the TL but I saw there's also a modulated delay in the modulation portion. The manual says the modulated delay can simulate up to 1400 ms, but when you try and adjust the time the range is 1-10. Do I have to do math to figure out the ms and program the modulated delay that way or is there an easier way to get my dual delay action on? Thanks and keep posting! This is by far the most in depth Tonelab forum I've read so far.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

OK - a question for those in the know.

Say I wanted to use the Tonelab LE in some situations JUST as an effects processor. And, I only wanted the modulations, delays, and reverbs. And I wanted to run it solely in my amp's effects loop, because I am using my amp's preamp gain with my wah, dirt, compressor, and phaser out in front. I know I can turn off the Tonelab LE's amp, cab, and pedal sims.

However, I am wondering if the Tonelab LE can be hooked up in this way without getting fried by my amp's signal. My amp has a series effects loop with a switch for either -10db or +4db, and seems to work well with most pedals.

Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Quote Originally Posted by teetop

View Post

OK - a question for those in the know.

Say I wanted to use the Tonelab LE in some situations JUST as an effects processor. And, I only wanted the modulations, delays, and reverbs. And I wanted to run it solely in my amp's effects loop, because I am using my amp's preamp gain with my wah, dirt, compressor, and phaser out in front. I know I can turn off the Tonelab LE's amp, cab, and pedal sims.

However, I am wondering if the Tonelab LE can be hooked up in this way without getting fried by my amp's signal. My amp has a series effects loop with a switch for either -10db or +4db, and seems to work well with most pedals.

Thanks!

yep ,works the same as the effect pedals

just never ever hook it to the amp out,that's when you fry it

• Members

View Post

This is explained in my post on the "four cable method" ealier in this thread:

http://acapella.harmony-central.com/...&postcount=173

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Chappell

View Post

This is explained in my post on the "four cable method" ealier in this thread:

http://acapella.harmony-central.com/...&postcount=173

Thanks Jon. That does explain it. I guess what I would MOST prefer is a signal chain like this..

Guitar -> Wah ->Compression Pedal -> Dirt Pedal -> Amp in -> Amp Send -> Tonelab LE input -> Tonelab LE output -> Amp Return

That way, I avoid an A/D conversion on the front-end and keep the preamp signal path completely analog, restricting the digital conversion to after the preamp and solely contained within the loop.

Would this work?

Mark

• Members

View Post

That way, I avoid an A/D conversion on the front-end and keep the preamp signal path completely analog, restricting the digital conversion to after the preamp and solely contained within the loop.

Exactly right! Couldn't have said it better myself. thumb.gif

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by JoseDN

View Post

So I'm out of cash and will do the stupid noob question... If I connect this thing to my technics stereo on the living room, will it sound any good ? Do I risk burning it or something ?cool.gif

Cheers

José

I'd say it just sounds awsome through you stereo set - I do this at home now that I got my amp in the studio smile.gif

• Members

Is there any way to get the delay to continue after you switch from one path to another? When I play lead with delay (eg bank 3, no4) and then change to rhythm (bank 3 no 2), the delay cuts off without continuing as I think it should and would do with any stompbox (and even did with my old Boss ME5!!!)? Any solutions? suggestions?

Thanks

• Members

New guy here as well. Just signed up today... what are the odds that the first thread I see is about the Tonelab...

Stopped at a guitar store to pick up some patch cables today, and they had their floor model TLLE on clearance for $250. I was seriously considering buying it, but they didn't have the AC adaptor, so I held off (I spent a good half hour in the store thinking about it, though...). I've been looking around the internet to check prices on the adapter itself, but I've had no luck. Anyone know how much these things run? If its reasonable I might just stop back tomorrow and pick it up...

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by JoseDN

View Post

So I'm out of cash and will do the stupid noob question... If I connect this thing to my technics stereo on the living room, will it sound any good ? Do I risk burning it or something ?cool.gif

Cheers

José

Just be VERY careful of your volume level. It's pretty easy to kill a home stereo tweeter (high frequency speaker) using a guitar and distortion. I'd be especially cautious with the TL's Treble Boost and Flanger effects, the filter sweep can contain a LOT of high frequency power, and could easily toast the speaker.

Moderate volumes will be OK.

• Members

Another new guy here. I bought an LE recently and it's been awesome, especially coming from using only the effects on my old amp! This community is great too, I'm making my way through reading all the pages...

Anyway, just today I got hold of an EHX "White Finger" compressor and I was wondering how to hook it up to my LE. Is it ok to do this: guitar -> compressor -> tonelab -> PA? or can the tonelab only handle a signal straight from a guitar?

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Hanzy

View Post

Another new guy here. I bought an LE recently and it's been awesome, especially coming from using only the effects on my old amp! This community is great too, I'm making my way through reading all the pages...

Anyway, just today I got hold of an EHX "White Finger" compressor and I was wondering how to hook it up to my LE. Is it ok to do this: guitar -> compressor -> tonelab -> PA? or can the tonelab only handle a signal straight from a guitar?

You can also use it through TLE's effect loop...

• Members

I don't really post here but I do a lot of reading and this is a great forum.

Based on all of the reviews I purchased a used tonelab at a good price and in 100% working order.

The first thing I did was to download the free editor software from the Vox website and hooked up my tonelab to my computer via midi in and out.

I tell you this is the only way to tweak and design your own patches.

I purchased a Radio Shack db meter with a small tripod. I put this db meter right in front of my amp. I went through all of my patches and on my computer I was able to get the same volume output for every patch I use.

So no mater what patch I press it is going to be at the same level as all of the others.

I have to say the NR is a must on a lot of these presets. Just my $02., thanks.

Archived