VOX TONELAB LE (GUITAR MULTI-EFFECTS PROCESSOR)

Jon Chappell

• Replies 704
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Thanks Jakob I'm asking these questions because my GNX3000 is starting to break down (USB jack broken, expressions pedal cutting out, power supply has a short)....I wanted to know if I can use the tonelab LE or SE the same way i use my GNX...it is as follows

I play in pedal mode because the patch switching sucks

Amp 1 is my clean sound

Amp 2 is my dirty & my expressions pedal controls the gain (i go from a little dirt to full on distortion with the touch of my foot)

I use the Wah allot (expressions pedal turns this on & off)

I do not use many FX...delay for leads, chorus & some flanger on a couple songs

Like I said the GNX has a very processed digital sound just wondering if the Vox is a cleaner sound that runs the same way i use my GNX.

Other equipment Epi Les Paul, BBE Sonic Stomp into a 1971 Traynor Custom Reverb w/4x12 cab

As for the music I play...80's metal to classic rock & grunge.

Any input would be appreciated

Thanks everyone

• 4 weeks later...
  • Members

Quote Originally Posted by Atomic Sitar

View Post

I'm playing through a Deluxe Reissue or a Blues Junior, so no FX loops...I just wondered if there was a specific setting for this problem? When I just turn the amp sims off (and run it without effects either) there's a pretty noticable reduction in tone and volume when I'm playing it through the amp relative to playing without the TLLE.

Perhaps this helps, and is assuming TL is in front of the amp input.

I have found numerous ways to adjust the output on the tonelab...

I usually START with the output knob at about 50%, then

1st off - and I assume you have done this - set the global output setting to be one which is feeding an amp. I use mine at line output level so have it set to LINE 2, but you would want one of the AMP settings. The AMP/LINE option also gives you a trim control. I have not played with trim much and cannot recall if it's patch or global, I need to explore this a little.

2nd - but you would not need this if just using for FX - is getting the gain at the amp model, and the output level of the output model. Then I check the stompbox output setting to make sure I am not overdriving the circuit when the 'boost' is on.

3rd - You can tweak the overall patch output using the AMP + CAB which allows you to add presence and overall output level. The range is a bit subtle I find, so I often have to go back to step 2 to balance the 'song set' so that the relative patch levels are the same.

I would think that using the knob, and the 1st and 3rd settings you should be able to normalize your levels.

Too bad there isn't just one knob which goes to 11, huh!

I really appreciate that the LE sounds quite good at all levels, give or take some noise floor. I am very impressed with the FX quality for an all in one. I find that some stomp pedals and compression can add some noise at the more extreme settings, but the noise suppression works quite well in a live situation.

• Members

Bi-Phaser anyone?

Oh my - I tried a dual series set up and what a little monster this effect could be... Very impressed at the depth and musicality.

Now, If only the filter mod had a Sample-and-Hold waveform... I would be in heaven!

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by jakoblose

View Post

I think TL is the best sounding MFX for the money out there but I have problems getting a really clean fender-like sound. There is new and quite expensive MFX that is supposed to do everything really great g66.eu, but for me it has too many options - I would sit the whole day dialing and not playing. TL is just plug and play with a very good sound.

The wah function has max volume, but look at p. 27 to see how you can connect an expression pedal to the TL to work as a volume pedal

Jakob

I will concur that with a strat and lace sensors I had to really tweak to get the sounds I was looking for (kind of) and played a lot with pre-EQ. I just picked up an Affinity upgraded with some stock Fender p/u's and am curious to try it out but I have found that this LE just sings with humbuckers. I am now wondering if a pickup booster on the single coils would help. For the strat I usually just go straight to a Tech-21 Trademark 10 but use for recording now only.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
  • Members

Hi, John!

Nice to find a Vox Tone Lab Le enthusiast as well. Although you seem to know all the ins and outs of the processor. Do you use your TL in front of the amp or throught the effect loop? Both have advantages, I think infront you get a heck of a lot more break up, and all of the effects are over the top. Though the effects loops sounds bigger and more difined.

Also, have you changed the tube of the TL? How long do you think it should be before I change it?

Appreciate your posts! smile.gif

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by JoaquinCastillo

View Post

Do you use your TL in front of the amp or through the effect loop? Both have advantages, I think in front you get a heck of a lot more break up, and all of the effects are over the top. Though the effects loops sounds bigger and more difined.

I use the TL both ways, depending on the amp and depending on the situation. Mostly I use it front of the amp, because it's the least hassle. I just dial the preamp and overdrive effects down in that case.

Also, have you changed the tube of the TL? How long do you think it should be before I change it?

I have not changed the tube, though some people change it right away. Preamp tubes (like the 12AX7 in the TL) last almost indefinitely in general, and especially here where it's not being slammed with a lot of voltage. Unless there's something really wrong with your sound--and you can trace it to the tube--you don't need to change it.

• Members

hi jon, i new in this forum, and im not speak english , so plz be gently.

The reason im here is to learn about the features, pros and cons, of both of this multifx (le vs new ex model) cause im going to buy one of this soon, but cant decide wich.

The most important factor for me is the sound quality, then the posibility to connect trough the amp fx loop, and finally the programing of the presets.

help plz...

bye

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Sprtbm666

View Post

hi jon, i new in this forum, and im not speak english , so plz be gently.

The reason im here is to learn about the features, pros and cons, of both of this multifx (le vs new ex model) cause im going to buy one of this soon, but cant decide wich.

The most important factor for me is the sound quality, then the posibility to connect trough the amp fx loop, and finally the programing of the presets.

help plz...

bye

The ToneLab LE has excellent sound quality. It focuses on that more than, say, features, where other similarly priced units offer more effects and routing flexibility. You can run it through the amp's effects loop, in front of the amp, or using the four cable method (see my article on the subject here) equally well.

Four cable method:

BgUu0.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Members

awesome product. i have the vox vt40+ amp which is basically a tonelab connected to an awesome (listed 60W) speaker. so many sounds! so many amp models to choose, everthing from dumble ods to classic fenders and marshalls, ac30, ac15, matchless dc30, etc,etc. effects on it are great quality. some of the richest fullest i've ever heard live. great company makin great products. and the price is very reasonable. i got the vt40+ for just under 260 at GC. great for kids as a first amp and is soooo loud can compete with any drummer. go vox!

• Members

abosolutely. they put alot of thought into these circuits. for a multi unit? one of the best out there. for chrissake its not an empress SD or a modfactor flange/chorus, but its pretty effin good compared to most. theres always somethin better / high end / boutique out there, but to 90% of peoples ears, theres no tellin the difference.

• 4 months later...
  • Members

Hi jon, sorry to be a pain. But can you talk to me about my tonelab le, i too am getting clicks about every 2 seconds. Even when i remove the spdif and use 2 new balanced cables(after chaging settings and restarting pc) i still get clicks. They are quite quiet, but as the notes fade out you hear the clicks. I would be very gratefull if you would talk to me, if knowone helps me im gonna phone vox. Peace bro, hope to hear back

Im running my tonelab into my emu1820m.

• 2 months later...
  • Members

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Chappell

View Post

I have not changed the tube, though some people change it right away. Preamp tubes (like the 12AX7 in the TL) last almost indefinitely in general, and especially here where it's not being slammed with a lot of voltage. Unless there's something really wrong with your sound--and you can trace it to the tube--you don't need to change it.

Being a tweaker at heart, I tried different tubes in the TL (Tung-Sol 12Ax7, Philips 12AT7, JJ 12AX7 and 12AU7). Ultimately the best was the stock EHX 12AX7, altough the difference wasn't huge - atleast not huge enough to go thru the trouble. Lowe output tubes and the Tung-Sol didn't work that well at all.

I haven't read thru this whole thread, so if this is can be old news, but there are instructions for the tube change and how to set the TL correctly after that on the net.

Here's the link (scroll down a bit):

http://forums.musicplayer.com/ubbthr...Number=1974243

I seem to remeber also seeing the TL service manual on the net, with a little googling...

• 4 weeks later...
  • Members

Hey everyone - I'm late to the party and am just starting to get my feet wet with the LE but wanted to know:

Does anyone have a list of the LE's presets?

1-1:

1-2:

1-3:

1-4:

2-1:

and so on?

The manual doesn't include them and I would like to have a list. Also, I wanted to know the instructions as to how to take apart the TLLE in the event I want or need to switch the tube - I found the instructions from a cached copy of

http://tonelable.com/takeapart.html

but the photos that went with the article are gone - anyone still have those photos?

Thanks! thumb.gif

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Anyone?

Quote Originally Posted by Polk Salad

View Post

Hey everyone - I'm late to the party and am just starting to get my feet wet with the LE but wanted to know:

Does anyone have a list of the LE's presets?

1-1:

1-2:

1-3:

1-4:

2-1:

and so on?

The manual doesn't include them and I would like to have a list. Also, I wanted to know the instructions as to how to take apart the TLLE in the event I want or need to switch the tube - I found the instructions from a cached copy of

http://tonelable.com/takeapart.html

but the photos that went with the article are gone - anyone still have those photos?

Thanks! thumb.gif

• 3 months later...
  • Members

Jon, can you give me some advice in setting up the TLLE's pitch shifter to give me that van halen 90's tone? Is it able to do some form of detune effect? Been trying to work with it but don't really understand the numbers and values. Thanx Jon.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Quote Originally Posted by CoachP7

View Post

Jon, can you give me some advice in setting up the TLLE's pitch shifter to give me that van halen 90's tone? Is it able to do some form of detune effect? Been trying to work with it but don't really understand the numbers and values. Thanx Jon.

I don't have the unit anymore, so I can't give you a step-by-step. That's the unfortunate thing about being a reviewer: you have to give the stuff back.

But to respond to your questions in the general sense, yes, you can effect a detune with pitch. The trick is to do it with steps smaller than a semitone (otherwise, it acts like a harmonizer).

Using Pitch for detuning gives a less swirly sound than chorus, though chorus uses some detuning techniques. But detuning has more control. For example, if I were trying to simulate a 12-string, I'd double the signal, send the clone to a separate channel, and detune it slightly. That yields a much more straightforward (and realistic) effect than a chorus.

So I would experiment with Pitch before Chorus, because it's the more subtle way to go. The Multi-tap chorus is even soupier than a chorus. I use multi-tap delays to get a tremolo effect (like a rapid picked mandolin or hammer dulcimer), but I can't remember when I've employed a multi-tap chorus. Certainly not for emulating EVH. He was fairly straight-ahead in his sound, even with effects. He probably used stompboxes and not sophisticated studio gear.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by modernrockx

View Post

Hi jon, sorry to be a pain. But can you talk to me about my tonelab le, i too am getting clicks about every 2 seconds. Even when i remove the spdif and use 2 new balanced cables(after chaging settings and restarting pc) i still get clicks. They are quite quiet, but as the notes fade out you hear the clicks. I would be very gratefull if you would talk to me, if knowone helps me im gonna phone vox. Peace bro, hope to hear back

Im running my tonelab into my emu1820m.

Not sure if anyone answered your question I have a se and had similar issue the problem with mine was only on certain patches and it was the NR noise reduction was maxed out causing the note or notes to decay in a unnatural way it would cause a click kinda like a muffled heartbeat Hope this helps

Archived