Opening for Headliners....

race81

• Members

Was asked this past weekend if our band would be interested in opening for a "country" headlining act, and asked what we would charge.  I know its a yearly event, and a headliner would be something bigger than the normal at it the event.  Was told we would open for them, around a 1 to 1.5 hour set.  P.A. provided from a well known local company, and would be expecting 3000 people for the show.  I told him a price and he kinda balked, i believe thinking because it was a short set and the opportunity to open for a headliner.  He also mentioned they had almost all theyre funds wrapped up in the headliner also. The price I quoted him would be about half of we would of got to play this same event in past years.  Is there that much prestige in playing these, or just what the band wants?  Kinda new at booking these things, but old enough to know our time is worth something.  Not to mention that we would have to take off work early for the event also.  Im guessin these things are personal preference, but I have no idea who the headliner is.......and that could make a difference to me, but not others in the band.  How do you guys n gals approach these??

• Members

race81 wrote:

Was asked this past weekend if our band would be interested in opening for a "country" headlining act, and asked what we would charge.  I know its a yearly event, and a headliner would be something bigger than the normal at it the event.  Was told we would open for them, around a 1 to 1.5 hour set.  P.A. provided from a well known local company, and would be expecting 3000 people for the show.  I told him a price and he kinda balked, i believe thinking because it was a short set and the opportunity to open for a headliner.  He also mentioned they had almost all theyre funds wrapped up in the headliner also. The price I quoted him would be about half of we would of got to play this same event in past years.  Is there that much prestige in playing these, or just what the band wants?  Kinda new at booking these things, but old enough to know our time is worth something.  Not to mention that we would have to take off work early for the event also.  Im guessin these things are personal preference, but I have no idea who the headliner is.......and that could make a difference to me, but not others in the band.  How do you guys n gals approach these??

Most of the ones w've have been in the 300-500 range for 60-80 minutes.

• Members

I have no idea what it is like in your area. Up here opening for a national "A" list artist usually doesn't pay much. You play to a decent crown on a world class stage and PA. Show up with just your back line and play for 60 minutes. Usually pays $100 a man around here.

• Members

race81 wrote:

They are what they are.  Those deals are kind of take it or leave it situation.  The question you want ,, do you want the show on your resume, and do you want the pictures of your band on that stage.   What it boils down do is that if you dont take it , someone else will.  The promo company has the leverage in deals like this. 

• Members

We have opened for national acts about 10 times. Half where we were the only opener or 3rd on the bill and the others were festival gigs where we would play early on a day when there were 5-6 bands. The most we were paid was $1200.00 and the least $500.00 for a 4 piece band.

• Members

Any opening's I've done.

A. They often use minimal lighting if any.

B. The PA is @ 15 % volume of the opener. (even big concerts same thing, go see KISS sometime, the opener sounds like an AM radio comparied to KISS even if it's a good band)

C. Monitors are often barely there if at all and never what you "want" in the mix 

D. Rarely any sound check.

E. 9 times out of 10 they want you to use someone else drum kit. (I think they should make guitar players do that sometime, now that would be a hoot)

You wouldn't want to show up the headliner I get that, but why take everything away from the opening band and make them sound bad?

• Members

Funny, every time I take my kids to see an arena concert, I like the opener better and they always sound better to me, too.

I've seen a band called "Boys Like Girls" twice. Both times they outplayed the headliner and had better music. I hope they get famous, they deserve it.

Archived