Acoustic amp

Ratae Corieltauvorum

• Moderators

What, engineering and electronics wise is an acoustic amp compared to an amp for an electric guitar?

My son has switched from playing a mic'd classical to a Yamaha NTX and this morning played a piece to a school assembly and he played well but sounded feckin awful.

I know some was the fact that his eyes light up when he sees a gain control, but a classical Spanish piece with slight breakup, just don't sound good.

Somebody also mentioned to me that electro acoutics can often output too much for an electric guitar preamp

Any advice appreciated.

• Members

Ratae Corieltauvorum wrote:

Current candidates:

Roland AC40

Peavey Ecoustic E208

Fishman Loudbox Mini

Advice appreciated

Favor the Loudbox Mini, but also like the Trace Elliot acoustic amps (a bit pricier new, though decent used).

• Members

What, engineering and electronics wise is an acoustic amp compared to an amp for an electric guitar?

My son has switched from playing a mic'd classical to a Yamaha NTX and this morning played a piece to a school assembly and he played well but sounded feckin awful.. . . .

Het Ratae!

The Yamaha NTX is a great guitar (I have the Yamaha APX - it's mum) but the nylon strings do produce a lot of high frequency harmonics which will be emphasized by an electric guitar amp. In fact I find that I take off quite a lot of treble when I play it through my acoustic amp.

It sounds best - and really good - through my Carlsbro keyboard amp (which lives it's life as a more powerful version of my acoustic amp) - much more rounded sound across all the frequencies.

I personally wouldn't bother with a dedicated acoustic guitar amp again - they tend to be pricey for what they are - and a keyboard amp does the job as well or better IMHO.

• Members

An electric guitar amp typically has a peak at 2-3KHz. Ideally, an acoustic amp doesn't. You might be able to equalize it out. If not, and you don't want to spend a fortune, a used bass amp (if you don't need effects) or a keyboard amp (if you do) is a good option. You should be able to find a used Peavey or Crate on your local CraigsList fairly cheap.

• Moderators

garthman wrote:

My son has switched from playing a mic'd classical to a Yamaha NTX and this morning played a piece to a school assembly and he played well but sounded feckin awful.. . . .

Het Ratae!

The Yamaha NTX is a great guitar (I have the Yamaha APX - it's mum) but the nylon strings do produce a lot of high frequency harmonics which will be emphasized by an electric guitar amp. In fact I find that I take off quite a lot of treble when I play it through my acoustic amp.

It sounds best - and really good - through my Carlsbro keyboard amp (which lives it's life as a more powerful version of my acoustic amp) - much more rounded sound across all the frequencies.

I personally wouldn't bother with a dedicated acoustic guitar amp again - they tend to be pricey for what they are - and a keyboard amp does the job as well or better IMHO.

Hmmm, I hear what you're saying however a decent keyboard combo that he will be able to carry is still about the same price as a something like a Fishman Loudbox Mini.

Archived