Can't turn up PA without screeching

• Members

Just a quick question. For vocals when my band practices, they're pretty low, because if we turn them up, we got lots of feedback. We practice in a small room, so that's probably the reason. But, my question is: Is the feedback due to the room being small and the mic being close to the speaker etc. or is it because of a crappy keyboard amp being used as a PA?

• Members

Some very simple suggestions :

1. Turn everything down - this is the best and cheapest answer.

2. Try to minimise the sound reflecting off the surfaces by using soft coverings wherever possible - like curtains.

3. Try to have the bottom of the mic pointing at the speaker that is reproducing the vocals - in other words minimise the likelihood of the sound coming out of the speaker being picked up by the mic.

4. Improve the quality of equipment; some mics are better at rejecting feedback than others (lots of threads in this forum, do a quick search). IME improving the quality of speakers has reduced feedback

It is very unlikely that a feedback destroyer is going to help in this situation. Do the basics right and you will at least stand a chance. In the end you can't overcome the laws of physics and the limitations of the room you are in and the kit you have.

Good luck,

• Members

nickguz wrote:

Just a quick question. For vocals when my band practices, they're pretty low, because if we turn them up, we got lots of feedback. We practice in a small room, so that's probably the reason. But, my question is: Is the feedback due to the room being small and the mic being close to the speaker etc. or is it because of a crappy keyboard amp being used as a PA?

Likely more-so because of the keyboard amp & mics, and possibly mic placement.  Sounds like a bad combination all around.  I suspect an upgrade is in order... basically step-up to some semblance of the right tools for the job, or figure out how to live with the current situation.

• Members

Hey Nick

All of these things are factors so it depends how small, how close and how crappy. Ultimately the room size will be the final arbiter. If you had a million dollar system run by a pro it will still be the final limit. But you won't hit that brick wall if your other problems hold you back before you get there.

• Members

dboomer wrote:

Hey Nick

All of these things are factors so it depends how small, how close and how crappy. Ultimately the room size will be the final arbiter. If you had a million dollar system run by a pro it will still be the final limit. But you won't hit that brick wall if your other problems hold you back before you get there.

yea, but Don, I gotta ask:  What mics physically/conveniently plug into a cheap keyboard amp?

• Members

I'm coming at this from hands on experience. Having used a "crappy" keyboard amp for monitors in band practice, I'm going to make the following assumptions. There probably isn't a horn assembly in the amp just a low cost peizo tweeter. There probably isn't a Graphic EQ, but probably somewhat ineffectual 2 or 3 pots; bass, mid, treble. The vocalists are using a Shure SM57 or something similar - in essence a mic with a good, but perhaps in this case unwanted mid presence. And lastly, because of the lack of highs, you are turning the amp up to hear the sizzle, but you are not able to "ring out" the area of 500 to 1khz (or whatever), and so feedback in those areas ensues. Then you add the problems of your specific room.

Those are guesses based on my own experience of using a "crappy" keyboard amp for rehearsals.

Archived