Electronic carillon experience?

• Members

Does anyone here have any experience with electronic carillons?  I've been volunteered to render assistance in getting an electronic carillon at one of our local churches some-how operational again.  The carillon is not quite as old as I am, but close (approx. 50 years old).

I've been reading up some... it seems that electronic carillons are relatively common, but electronic carillon technical expertise (or even any hands-on experience concerning maintenance & operation) seems to be less common.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Audiopile wrote:

Does anyone here have
any
experience with electronic carillons?  I've been volunteered to render assistance in getting an electronic carillon at one of our local churches some-how operational again.  The carillon is not quite as old as I am, but close (approx. 50 years old).

I've been reading up some... it seems that electronic carillons are relatively common, but electronic carillon technical expertise (or even any hands-on experience concerning maintenance & operation) seems to be less common.

Are you sure it isn't electro-mechanical? Those are pretty simple...

• Members

RoadRanger wrote:

Are you sure it isn't electro-mechanical? Those are pretty simple...

No doubt it's electro-mechanical.  The make & model is:

Schulmerich Carillon Inc.

Magnebell Carillon

Model 25646

MFG:  approx. 1963

This carillon is equipped with a reel-to-reel tape drive (7 1/4" I believe), and a fairly sophisticated mechanical timer assembly.  I suspect the reel-to-reel is for playing music (regular recorded music) and/or possibly ques the bell ringing to ring out a melody ("Silent Night", "Jingle Bells", etc...).  I suspect the mechanical timer assembly is for day-to-day ringing bells on the hour, 1/2 hour, etc... (so you don't have to attend to the reel-to-reel for simple hourly ringing of the bells.)

I suspect this carillon is constructed with "electro-mechanical devices" in the relay rack which create bell emulating sounds, which are amplified and broadcast through the bell tower PA speakers.

• Members

When the one in a local city stopped working they ran into the same situation with cost of repair. I jokingly said that my keyboard would probably do a better job with the sounds and would be cheaper than fixing the old unit. The highschool music director asked me if I was serious and said he would find that hard to believe.A couple of months went by and I was doing a dance at his school and dragged my MOTIF along. He recorded a few tunes and tried them. They worked extremely well. Sounds like you are at the point where repairing the original may be more expensive than using some new tech.Whats the goal? The sounds or saving a dated machine? Funny thing was the old system had what must have been a early 70's McIntosh tube amp. No one could remember ever changing the tubes and it still worked. Andy, what did they use for speakers? They appear to be some big old stadium type horns. It's amazing how good they sound at 100 yards.

• Members

The system I got going again recently used 4 Universality Sound ID 40 A drivers on what looked like 24 in horns The system stopped working over 40 years ago but the speakers are fine.

They sound quite good over the range of the bells. 

If I was doing a job like you are going to where the labor is free, I would walk in with a amp and a PC loaded with the software in the car.  If you can fix it all, great, if you can fix the amp, then good, slide in the PC, go on line and activate the license, point the customer to the instructions for changing the bells and schedule to there liking, and you are a hero for very little labor.

Frank

• Members

We do provide support for our older instruments if parts are still available.  We have instruments in the field that were installed 50+ years ago and that are still working. 

We need to get a service technican out to see the device to determine what we can do.  Please contact us at our home office if we can be of use to you:

http://www.schulmerichbells.com/contact/

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

I don't think the horse's name was Bobtail. Harness horses (especially certain breeds of drafts) have their tails bobbed and bells are put either on the harness, the crupper or braided into the base of the tail itself to make noise.

It's slang to call such drafts bobtails, or bobbed tails. A single horse hitch would have had a bobtail pulling it.

That's my best guess.

• Members

agedhorse wrote:

I don't think the horse's name was Bobtail. Harness horses (especially certain breeds of drafts) have their tails bobbed and bells are put either on the harness, the crupper or braided into the base of the tail itself to make noise.

It's slang to call such drafts bobtails, or bobbed tails. A single horse hitch would have had a bobtail pulling it.

That's my best guess.

What, you mean I shouldn't believe everything I read on the Internet eek.gif ?

biggrin.gif

• Members

Check coil lead resistance to the housing or ground. It's possible or likely that the coil is internally terminated to the metal structure. A coil must have a minimum of 2 leads and can be tapped for more. There are push-pull coils that have a center tap and are used for latching.

• Members

Yeah, I kind of jumped topics to generalities didn't I?

Coils are coils, they convert electrical energy to magnetic field and the other way around. Magnetic field forces plus motion can do work and the other way around as well. Tapping coils can change the force ratios and directions of the forces. Pretty cool stuff but the math is complicated.

Archived