"Jap crap"

• Members

One of the trumpet players in our section tells everyone who asks that Yamaha="Jap crap." Really pisses me off sometimes.

Funny thing is, he said that after commenting that one other guy's Yammie was a nice horn, quipped that a school-owned Yamaha flugal was nicer than the Benge he had played, and owns a Yamaha Eb.:rolleyes:

I think I'll offer him $40 for his Eb, tell him I'll get that crap off of his hands.:D

• Members

Yamaha used to be real junk. The story I was told, by a reputable source, was that after WWII the Japanese companies started using the metal from their war ships and planes for other uses including the Yamaha brand of instruments. They would rust and fall apart and were just absolute junk.

Obviously we all know that thye fixed that problem and are now good instruments, for the most part of course.

• Members

At the least, your sectionmate's comment was poorly informed. Though I don't know them personally, I'm guessing Wayne Bergeron, John Hagstrom, Bobby Shew, Al Vizzutti, and the Canadian Brass, to name a few, wouldn't have their names associated with crap.

At the most, he has some serious race issues to work out.

• Members

At the least, your sectionmate's comment was poorly informed. Though I don't know them personally, I'm guessing Wayne Bergeron, John Hagstrom, Bobby Shew, Al Vizzutti, and the Canadian Brass, to name a few, wouldn't have their names associated with crap.

At the most, he has some serious race issues to work out.

My guess is race issues as well, based on some of his other comments.

The student horns stay together which, really, is about all you need to ask for at that point. Besides the Olds Ambassador, most student horns really don't sound that great!:)

• Members

I spent an entire day picking out a pro tenor sax last year. Played every brand available at a pro horn store.

The Yamaha 82Z tenor came out on top of everything else for me, even over horns from Paris costing twice as much.

...but there are always people in horn sections willing to flap their lips without trying stuff out themselves first...

• Members

Yamaha used to be real junk. The story I was told, by a reputable source, was that after WWII the Japanese companies started using the metal from their war ships and planes for other uses including the Yamaha brand of instruments. They would rust and fall apart and were just absolute junk.

Obviously we all know that thye fixed that problem and are now good instruments, for the most part of course.

Ahhhh... your reputable source is way off.... Yamaha didn't start making band instruments until 1965. And since then have made over 10 million.

The student and intermediate models carry over a number of features from the professional models. The professional flagship models are all designed first and then features are removed to meet price points down to the student models. The intermediate models are often the same bodies as more pro models like the 62 sax.

Someone mentioned the 82Z sax. Yamaha designs horns based on input from a lot of players. The 82 series was based on input from Phil Woods among others.

S.

• Members

nice bit of history

Archived