Is this a scam?

rlm297

• Members

There are always ways to get scammed using paypal, but realistically the guy probably never bothered registering until he saw something he wanted to buy.

I'm the seller though. I have the items for sale and he'll be PayPaling me the money for payment.. I won't be shipping until I see I have received the PayPal payment. So, I should be in the clear, no?

• Members

I'm the seller though. I have the items for sale and he'll be PayPaling me the money for payment.. I won't be shipping until I see I have received the PayPal payment. So, I should be in the clear, no?

not really. i ever shipped stuff out after receiving payment via paypal. buyer insisted he never receive the package and subsequently requested a refund via paypal.

there's nothing i can prove to state that the package has been delivered. therefore, the amount paid was refunded against my wishes and the package was never returned.

beware, scammers are able to work around the system.

• Members

not really. i ever shipped stuff out after receiving payment via paypal. buyer insisted he never receive the package and subsequently requested a refund via paypal.

there's nothing i can prove to state that the package has been delivered. therefore, the amount paid was refunded against my wishes and the package was never returned.

Actually you can protect yourself from that happening. You use FedEx or UPS and get delivery signature. This is a valid way to prove to Paypal the package was received. Though the next problem would be a stolen card. Even thought the payment clears it can be reversed if the card is reported stolen. So you ship the pedals and then they take the money back. Check to make sure the buyer is Paypal verified and get his number and call him. If he has nothing to hide he could be legit. Also check his number/address in the white pages and don't let them have you send it to "another address". Send it to the confirmed address only then you are , for the most part, covered by Paypal in that sense.

• Members

You can add tracking details for the transaction through paypal as well.

• Members

Read www.paypalsucks.com if you think you're in the clear once you get money from them.

No matter what, get tracking information/signature confirmation and only ship to the paypal address listed. That makes it almost impossible for anything to go wrong.

And regarding buying pedals in bulk: I do it all of the time. Make a low offer, keep the ones you planned on purchasing and sell the rest to offset the cost.

• Members

i was thinking the same thing what if the buyer said he never recieved the stuff and got a refund. good tips here on the signature delivery though.thats why i will never use ebay again because they hold the money until the buyer gets his package and leaves feedback and that takes up to 3 weeks..the problem is what if the buyer never leaves feedback.

• Members

yep and since this buyer is new i would request a moneyorder with a overnight envelope delivery.i have done that on ebay,if the buyer is real he will have no problem with it.that way he has a reciept and you have no way of being scammed.

• Members

RE:SCAM - Since when is making an offer to buy gear via paypal a scam? Paypal is as close to cash as it gets. Have been using Paypal for 10 years. Anyway I intend to keep looking and making offers here and there - just want you to know that my money is "green" just like everyone else's....

• Members

I'd let him send you a USPS MO.. Make sure you can cash it at the post office first, then send the pedals.

I think this option covers you as far as safety goes. Also, I disagree with the other poster as far as buying in "bulk": If I see that someone has more than one pedal that I would like to try I certainly like a 'deal' if I buy more than one and I always give a 'deal' if someone happens to buy more than one of my pedals. I think that's pretty normal. Also, why don't you get some of his info ahead of time - in particular his phone number - and give him a call? I really believe that you can good a good sense of a guy's character by speaking with him. It's certainly not foolproof but if someone is willing to give out his home phone number and can sincerely explain his motives (he might just be a 'new' fellow who happened to see a few pedals that he was already looking for) I think it's worth at least talking to him. My 2 cents. Good luck.

• Members

I understand completely why the OP is hesitant to sell, thats a lot of money, not a $40 pedal. No offense to T Rex, no one is attacking you personally.

I say you split the order up- ship a few pedals and charge him half- make sure you have signiture confirmation and insurance- after he receives them, have him send you an email stating everything was fine from the email associated with his paypal (that proves everything was fine) then he can send you the rest of the payment and you ship the remainder-

I don't see any problem with that-

• Members

USPS Delivery Confirmation works too. It is cheap.

Actually you can protect yourself from that happening. You use FedEx or UPS and get delivery signature. This is a valid way to prove to Paypal the package was received. Though the next problem would be a stolen card. Even thought the payment clears it can be reversed if the card is reported stolen. So you ship the pedals and then they take the money back. Check to make sure the buyer is Paypal verified and get his number and call him. If he has nothing to hide he could be legit. Also check his number/address in the white pages and don't let them have you send it to "another address". Send it to the confirmed address only then you are , for the most part, covered by Paypal in that sense.

• Members

Well, I have to agree with the guys asking for a USPS money order. Once u have the cash payment in your hands, there's no contest.

If the guy's serious, he will send you a money order. Be sure to use delivery confirmation... And NO paycrap fees for anyone! You can't go wrong this way.

About T-Rex... Well, it seems kinda suspicious, having just one post and all, but, well, you gotta start anywhere in the forums. When I started over here, I had to make stupid posts in places I didn't want to post in order for people to get me serious. Come on, if you think about it, what's the difference between having 100 posts and zero posts? That someone actually concurred the forums for a while in front of their computers? They can be scammers anyways.

If he agrees to have a phone call or to send you a money order, then I do not see wha't the big deal all about. Give the noob a break. (ASUMMING he is a noob and not someone using another new username on the forums ;) )

People have canceled me deals because I'm not that fluent in English, even tho I have quite some posts and I have made a couple of deals round here, and I always give my address and phone number to contact me. So, to me, AT LEAST in this kind of situation, where I am going to get paid, everyone's on the clear, as long as I get a good old USPS M.O.

Archived