I Was Just Offered a Job at Roland

• Members

Hey Guys,

Well, the Audacity Works you've come to know and loathe... uh, I mean love... is gone. If I take this Roland job, from now on, I'll have to be overly polite, never act like a smartass, and stop using {censored}ing bad language. It's timez ta' reprazent, yall!

So you guys will probably expect me to know everything there is to know about every product Roland has ever released, not to mention their inner political workings, future software updates (ahem!), and marketing strategies. That's what nondisclosure agreements are for.

Truth be told, I don't really need a day job, but working the Electrix booth at NAMM demonstrated how much I missed certain aspects of the MI industry. Plus, I spend too much free time writing crap on this forum anyway.

It's a good thing I haven't ever badmouthed Roland here, because I'd hate to see this place come back and bite me in the ass. :D

• Members

Take the job! And sneakily, subliminally influence Roland to develop a new polyphonic analog synth, if you can... :)

Truth be told, I might have one of those non-disclosure thingies myself, but I try not to talk about it. ;) I love this biz!

Congrats on the offer, I hope it works out for the best.

-Amos

• Members

Originally posted by Chris100

What position were you offered?

Product support, so I'll be manning the phones, demonstrating stuff at NAMM shows (and possibly Musik Messe... aww yeah), and generally being a nice guy to all those who've had the great fortune of purchasing fantastic Roland gear. ;)

Actually, it was going to take a lot to get me back into MI. At one time I actually said the only companies that could get me back into MI would be Roland, Digidesign, or the Pro Music division of Apple. And wouldn't you know it? One of 'em hit me up.

• Members

Originally posted by audacity works

Hey Guys,

Well, the Audacity Works you've come to know and loathe... uh, I mean love... is gone. If I take this Roland job, from now on, I'll have to be overly polite, never act like a smartass, and stop using {censored}ing bad language.

Is it my imagination, or is that a new Roland font you're using there?

• Members

Originally posted by audacity works

working the Electrix booth at NAMM demonstrated how much I missed certain aspects of the MI industry.

you worked the Electrix booth?

do you know when the new Repeater will be available? do you know if the looppoints will be smoother this time around?

congrats on the Roland job.

• Members

Originally posted by Miket156

I guess this means we can't bad mouth Roland's tech support anymore.

Haahahaaa! Well, actually, this means you'll probably have even more reason to. :D Even though I'm pretty familiar with most of what Roland's released in the past seven years, they have HUNDREDS and HUNDREDS of products, some of which have... shall we say... interesting interfaces. ;)

Originally posted by urbanscallywag

Is there a Roland office in socal? Does this have to do with your software project, or aren't you at liberty to say?

The Roland office is down in City of Industry, which is technically still in Los Angeles. My commute's gonna be about 45 minutes to an hour in traffic each way. Ugh... As for my software/hardware project, I did mention it in my interview, but as you're probably aware, all of Roland's products are designed in Japan, so I'd have to speak with someone over there. Don't know if it's necessarily a "Roland-esque" type of product anyway, as the interface is really the main selling point, not the box or its controlling splash app. What I'm a little concerned with is if they might see shopping my gear to someone else as a conflict of interest. If so, I may have to shelve it for a while. Just had a meeting tonight with a software programmer, and he believes it's completely feasible and marketable. Also gave me a lot of great ideas. We'll see.

Originally posted by suitandtieguy

Do you know when the new Repeater will be available? do you know if the looppoints will be smoother this time around?

Electrix was hidden down a hallway off the DJ arena, so it wasn't very high-traffic. We were primarily there to garner international distribution and make our presence known.

The Reapeater MkII with 2.0 software should be out in mid-to-late April and I'm not sure what you mean by smoother loop points. If you mean you actually hear where the loop cycles... Uh, I don't know, because I never once heard a loop point at NAMM (we were in a pretty quiet private room), but I was also just looping transient drum beats, so I presume it might be different for drones and that sort of thing. I guess the real answer is "No clue." :confused: I do know this, however: The beat detect engine is supposed to work better now, you'll be able to go directly into overdub from record mode (or is it the other way around?), the random clicking has been fixed, and some new user-requested features have been implemented. Plus, it's supposed to sound a bit cleaner.

Originally posted by scubyfan

Dude, how do you come across such great offers? What's your secret?

:D Rainbow Guitars in Tucson. They fostered an environment that made you want to stay, even when you could make a lot more money doing something else (which admittedly, is what ultimately made me leave). So if you eat, sleep, and breathe keyboards and recording gear because it's your job (and your clientele expects you to have the right answer, unlike... oh crap! I can't say bad things about other dealers now! :( ), uh... what was my point? Oh yeah, my old Roland rep knew I moved to LA and hooked me up. Thanks, Dave!

• Members

If you ever meet anyone involved in the design of the JC-120, tell them I said thank you. Seriously.

I have 2 early 1980's Roland JC-120 guitar amps. They've come up recently in various conversations, situations, and even threads on here... as if there is some karmic force pulling them back into my frame of attention. So, they've been out and heated up for the past month... and they are STILL two of the finest amps I've ever played through.

Dunno if they still make them like this - but these two are suh-weet.

Dig

edit: and a nod to the GP-100 rack mount guitar processor (commonly called the Jeep). They are just now making units that get back to the power and features of this thing (the GT-Pro rack unit finally surpasses it, but in my opinion, the GP-100 still blows all of the GT floor processors away, even the new GT-8).

Oh. and... CONGRATS!!

• Members

Thanks, all!

Originally posted by Mookus

Your first assignment is to sort out Chick and his XR !!!

Actually, you're probably right... Hey Chick, I can't remember what your issue was with the Fantom XR, but PM me and I'll see what's up next week. Didn't it have something to do with not reading Akai libraries correctly? Or at all?

• Members

The Roland office is down in City of Industry, which is technically still in Los Angeles.

City of Industry, or City of Commerce?

I thought it was the latter, unless they moved recently.

In 1997 I applied for a job at Roland in their communications/P.R. dept. I was a finalist and even got the second interview. I was all up thinking it would be the perfect job for me but someone beat me to the position. I was massively angry and depressed for months afterward...

Archived