Fantom's Display: Over the Top

GigMan

• Members

Originally posted by Mike51

the Oasys *is* a soft synth. It's a p4 2.8 with Linux.

By that definition, so is any digital hardware synth currently available, including Tritons, Fantoms, Motifs, etc. They all have a CPU chip of some sort, and they all run custom software.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

yes they do. what sets the softs apart from hards is that softs are run on a host machine like a computer, and consume the power of the computer. they can be upgraded, have no physical surface(unless provided), are cheaper and get the bang for the buck.

hards are more stable and usually not upgradeable to as much an extent as the softsynths.

take for example Reason 2.5 - Reason 3.0 , not a big change, but a significant one. comparably, such large a change could not be brought in a hardsynth, unless its a sorta software based (like the Neko, for instance, or the Oasys)....

i love both hardsynths AND softsynths. hardsynths cos i can touch 'em, grab a knob, turn the value dial for a cool preset, softsynth cos it's more powerful and fits into my computer without any extra space...

bobtheknob, go ahead to buy the thing...i'm sorry if i sounded negative. all the best for the purchase of your new Oasys. i hope you'll enjoy it!

BTW, will you be my friend??? :-D :-)) i have these friends who have money and think that they are actually worth something....pfftt...the l00sers....:p;):D

• Members

Originally posted by urbanscallywag

Exactly.

OK, so there's no such thing as hardware anymore. Everything's a soft-synth.

NOT.

But since a few people seem to be confused about that, let me rephrase what I said earlier:

Anyway, the OASYS is not for people that are sold on the VSTI plug-in soft-synth-on-a-PC/Mac route. That should be obvious.

• Members
Originally posted by keyman_sam

bobtheknob, go ahead to buy the thing...i'm sorry if i sounded negative.

I might - have to try it out when it's finally released. I think it looks and sounds very cool.

BTW, will you be my friend??? :-D :-)) i have these friends who have money and think that they are actually worth something....pfftt...the l00sers....:

If the fact that they have money is the only reason they think they're worth something, then they are losers. I could have the money for an OASYS (well, I might have to stop eating for a short period), but that in itself doesn't mean anything much. ;)

• Members
Originally posted by GigMan

Maybe AnalogKid doesn't - but AudacityWorks does (work for Roland)...
:D

But not because he lives+breathes Roland - I think more because it's a job, a paycheck - and he apparently was in the right place at the right time or knew the right person...

Yep. :cool: Of course, I liked Roland products and as a company back before I moved to Cali, partly because it was so easy dealing with them from a reseller's standpoint. Obtaining RA numbers was a phone call away, we never got stuck with a bunch of product we couldn't sell (stock adjustments), they NEVER gave any big box music store better deals, the gear rarely broke down, and tech support >ahem!
A lot of that stuff goes a long way to a company's success. There may be a better synth out there, but if it's hard to keep in stock, or they change pricing on you every six months, or you can never get ahold of a sales rep or tech support, then it's in the store's best interest to stock someone else.

PreSonus was another company that was a joy to deal with. And Opcode, when they existed ({censored} Gibson! :mad: ). Apogee, Casio (believe it or not), Glyph, Universal Audio, Marshall Electronics, McDSP, Mackie, and Horizon also stood out as just being great all-around companies, at least as far as dealer and customer support were concerned.

We weren't Yamaha dealers, so I'm not sure how good they are.

Behringer and Sony were the worst, through no fault of their excellent reps.

Archived