Prophet T-8; a dinosaur or masterpiece?

Bro' FF

• Members

I know a guy who is about my age (40) who has been a synth nut for a while. He has a number of synths that he considered "kepers" enough to hold on to them over the years. One is a Mini Moog, and among the others are a P-5 and Prophet T-8. I was checking it out today (didn't fire it up) and the thing is a behemoth; just huge.

What's the story on this synth?

• Members

Originally posted by Miket156

Its over 20 years old, but its a little bit of both. As Array said "Mastersaur"!!! Probably the best synth ever made by Sequential.

Mike T.

Better than the oft-reverered P-5 Rev2 that people here elevate?

• Members

Thanks for creating this thread. I never hear anyone talking about this synth. is it extremely rare? I actually had a chance to play one a couple of weeks ago at Analog Heaven. I have to say at first sight, that thing is huge!!!! And it sounded sooooooo gooooooood!!!!! I would agree that it's one of Sequential's best synths. I think it came out in 1983 and is often overlooked. Are the weighted keys a turn off for some? It's the first actually "synth" I've seen with weighted piano-like keys.

• Members

Still I prefer a rev.2 Prophet-5 over a T-8 anyday. It looks more aesthetical than the T-8 and definitaly has better sound, reliability is a different issue though. A rev.2 or rev.3 P-5 with 8 polyphony like that of the T-8 would be a dream machine. I have no idea why Mr. Smith didn't design a single manual 8-voice P-5 model with analog LFOs & envelopes instead of a heavy P-10. BTW, I read somewhere that Prophet 600 and T-8 have similar sounds, but different build qualities.

• Members

Originally posted by teoman

I have no idea why Mr. Smith didn't design a single manual 8-voice P-5 model with analog LFOs & envelopes instead of a heavy P-10. BTW, I read somewhere that Prophet 600 and T-8 have similar sounds, but different build qualities.

The Prophet 10 was originally a single manual keyboard but it overheated a lot. I seem to recall joe Zawinul and Patrick Gleason were owners...

• Members

Agree, but serial production P-10s are all double manual and are said to be very heavy. Maybe he could be able to fit 8 voice circuitry in a slightly bigger wooden chassis similar to OB-Xa in single manual form which would have looked much better than an ugly organ like double manual thingy. Yes yes I know its tooooo late to give alternative ideas to Mr. Smith.:D

• Members

The T8 is really an odd configuration, even by today's standards. A 76 weighted KB in a synth? I like the non standard KB in the T8. Lowest note an "A", instead of an "E". Polyphonic aftertouch, can't beat that. 8 voices gave it plenty of beef. Prices are climbing on T8's in the vintage market. I don't know how many of them were made, but it was rare compared to the P5, and spare parts for it would be an issue. Any collector that buys one will not only have to pay for the synth, but they would make good friends with Dave at Wine Country Sequential when he starts placing orders for parts to keep it running. :eek:

Mike T.

• Members

I was recently offered two t8 synths, unfortunately they made no sound, so i do not know what these vintage monsters actually sound like, they look totally awesome though. I should imagine finding good examples could be tricky and i personally prefer normal weighted keys on synths, i also prefer no velocity with vintage synths, i wonder if you have the option to turn velocity and aftertouch off?

If they sound anything like the early fives, i'm sure i could find room for one :)

• Members

I doubt that you could turn off the aftertouch. However, most KB's with aftertouch need additional pressure put on the key in order to actuate the after touch feature. It wouldn't be too much of a problem getting adjusted too. The few times I played a T8, I thought the KB was one of the best features of that board. Now the size/weight and COST were another matter. :)

Mike T.

• Members

T8 is monophonic aftertouch, not polyphonic. There was one in gorgeous shape at AHMW a couple of weeks ago.

You don't see many T8s for sale because most folks don't get rid of them. They are not only a nice sounding analog, but the keyboard make a great MIDI controller too.

• Members

I wanted one of these SO BAD when they came out. I'd play the demo (set up in it's own listening area in my favorite store) whenever I had the chance...but I just couldn't afford one.

They don't sound huge. It's been pointed out that their envelopes are as sluggish as a 600...although I didn't notice it at the time. But the way the keyboard interacts with the synth...it's magical. I can't think of a better keyboard to play expressive pads on...if you are in to subtle inner voice movements, this is your board.

They didn't sell well...less than 1000 units. Dave Smith once said "It's an instrument everyone told us they wanted, so we made it...and then people decided they didn't want it after all." A lot of that was because it was released over a year after the Chroma (a similiar product), and a lot was due to the DX7, and most people had the sounds of the T8 already and just passed.

• Members

I'd say the biggest factor of the T8 not selling well was the price. It was serious change back in those days. Folks that bought DX7's weren't really the same folks that would have bought a T8, they were several thousand $$ apart and the DX7 was a little "thinner' sounding than a T8, although the sounds were very good and there were lots of them. A good analogy would be the T8 and the Korg Oasys. Only the people that had serious money could afford one.

Mike T.

• Members

Yeah, good point Mike. No matter who you were, one could only afford so many $5000+ synths. But if there hadn't been a Chroma (which sold several thousand units before the T8 was released), I think the T8 would have done better. I knew a couple of Chroma owners back then who wished they'd waited.

When I said that they didn't sound huge, it's because I don't consider any CEM Prophet a huge sounding synth. Versatile, distinctive...difinitely. Neither is a DX7. But it seemed that by 1984 everyone had the general sound of a T8 somewhere else in their arsenal, and they were SO much money...

• Members

Originally posted by The Real MC

T8 is monophonic aftertouch, not polyphonic.

The Prophet T8 does have polyphonic aftertouch. See:

http://www.synthmuseum.com/sequ/seqprot801.html

http://users.skynet.be/aemit/seq/presst8.html

"Each key also has an independent pressure sensor which is activated by applying force to the key after it has been depressed. This "second touch" can be used to control oscillator frequency, filter cutoff, LFO amount, and other parameters."

• Members

You're right about the release dates being a factor too. I really didn't remember the time line on the Chroma and the T8. I already had a number of expensive poly synths by the time the T8 came out and I had no way to buy one. Anyway, with an Oberheim sitting on top of my Electric Grand, and a Prophet 5 sitting on top of my Rhodes Suitcase Piano, I already was a pretty happy camper sonically, although in debt up to my eyeballs. :(

If I didn't already have the P5, I might have tried to raise the money for a T8, but it was BIG too, so I guess it wouldn't have been a real good fit anyway. :rolleyes:

Mike T.

Archived