OT: NFL survival pool 2005

Dave Bryce

• Replies 357
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Quote by db:

----------------------------------------------------------

I'm a bit surprised no one's taking the Pack...

dB

The only team that has been more inconsistent than the Pack are the Steelers. Wait a minute, maybe not, the Steelers sucked in EVERY game this preseason. Big Ben is having trouble with his throws. So far, his arm reminds me of Kordell Steward. That's a scary thought. :eek:

Anyway, GB is playing the Lions, so you never know what's going to happen in a game like that. Both teams are pretty close. They don't like each other either. That's a tough one to pick.

Mike T.

• Members

Originally posted by Jeff da Weasel:

At the moment, every sports book in Vegas has the Lions winning by 3.

Yeah, I don't get it either.
:confused:

While I disagree with Vegas sports books, there are some valid concerns about Green Bay this season and for the opener as well:

1) Although last year was an exception to the rule, the Packers have tended to be weaker on the road and stronger at home than are most teams; and this game is in Detroit.

2) Green Bay fares poorly on artificial turf, and Detroit has artificial turf.

3) The Packers did woefully little to bolster their weak defense during the off-season (although new defensive coordinator, Jim Bates, could possibly have a big impact).

4) The Packers strong offense is aging and both of last year's starting guards retired. (On the plus side though - Brett Favre hired a personal trainer during the off-season for the first time and has pledged a renewed passion for football.)

5) The rest of the teams in the NFC North look better this year and Green Bay doesn't, leading to some speculation that the North could return to its "black and blue division" glory days.

Edit: (two more reasons)

Originally posted by RockXtreme:

Put me down for the Vikings.

They always start strong and dwindle at the end. Best to get them early.

6) The Packers are more often the opposite - they start the season weak and finish strong. Winter, not summer, is Packers weather.

7) It's hard to know how hurricane Katrina's aftermath will figure into Mississippi native Favre's performance in the season opener. Will it be a distraction or a motivation? My guess is the latter, but it's a big enough question mark to keep me from picking my favorite team in this week's pool.

That said

• Members

Originally posted by Miket156

Quote by db:

I'm a bit surprised no one's taking the Pack...

dB

The only team that has been more inconsistent than the Pack are the Steelers. Wait a minute, maybe not, the Steelers sucked in EVERY game this preseason. Big Ben is having trouble with his throws. So far, his arm reminds me of Kordell Steward. That's a scary thought.
:eek:

The Steelers' O looks disjointed, but Hines is back now.

• Members

Originally posted by Geoff Grace

... It's hard to know how hurricane Katrina's aftermath will figure into Mississippi native Favre's performance in the season opener. Will it be a distraction or a motivation? My guess is the latter, but it's a big enough question mark to keep me from picking my favorite team in this week's pool.

My guess is the latter, too. Many of us won't soon forget how well Favre performed against the Raiders the day after his father died. Link. That was one incredible performance, thrilling to watch even for Raiders fans.

• Members

Originally posted by Johnny Storm:

Many of us won't soon forget how well Favre performed against the Raiders the day after his father died.
Link.
That was one incredible performance, thrilling to watch even for Raiders fans.

Nor shall I soon forget.

Thanks for remembering, Bunny. :cool:

By the way, we're now almost at 24 hours until kickoff! :snoopydance:

Best,

Geoff

• Members

Changing pick to:

St Louis

After what I saw in Buffalo last Friday night, I can't take the Bills yet though they have a good home opener record. Coach Mike Mullarkey said that he might look for a new kicker because Ryan Lindell can't hit from 40+ yards. That's a slam against the kicker AND the offense.

• Members

Originally posted by Geoff Grace

By the way, we're now almost at 24 hours until kickoff! :snoopydance:

YEEEEEAAAAAAAHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!

One day left till foot-BALL,

One day left till foot-BALL!

The spread is Pats by 7-1/2. I'm not expecting it, but I'd love the Raiders to slap them silly, at least covering the spread. The way the Pats will win is by using the run against the Raiders weak D. I'm pretty confident in the Raiders' CBs, but the Pats have plenty of weapons beyond the passing game... like Corey Dillon.

The Raiders are going to have to outscore them, using "the best defense is a good offense" playbook. Look for serious downfield passes to Moss and Porter right from the start, interspersed with some smashmouth runs from LaMont Jordan.

YEEEEEAAAAAAAHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!! Football is back!!!

- Jeff

• Members

Ouch! I almost missed the pool this year!

Please sign me up for Green Bay over Detroit. Gotta pick Brett early, before he gets worn out toward the end of the season.

dB, if I lose in the first week again this year, that will make three years in a row. Would that be a record? :D

Thanks!

• Members

Originally posted by Ski:

Please sign me up for Green Bay over Detroit. Gotta pick Brett early, before he gets worn out toward the end of the season.

dB, if I lose in the first week again this year, that will make three years in a row. Would that be a record?
:D

Ski, I sure hope you don't lose in the first week again this year! :eek:

Packers.jpeg

GO PACKERS!!! icon14.gif

Best,

Geoff

• Members

List updated and moved to current page:

Week One

dB - St. Louis

MikeT156 - Denver

Rabid - Minnesota

Steadyb - St. Louis

Geoff Grace - Minnesota

Magpel - Washington

RockXtreme - Minnesota

Jeff Da Weasel - Denver

Red Winger - Minnesota

Counterpoint - Pittsburgh

Sir Garrote - St. Louis

Antematter - Minnesota

wineandkeyz - St. Louis

MarkZ - St. Louis

Postman - St. Louis

Llarion - St. Louis

Johnny Storm - St. Louis

Daklander - San Diego

Still Learning - New England

Jackpine - Minnesota

Ski - Green Bay

Synfull Music - Denver

dabowsa - Washington

Note: This list will be edited as/if other picks are posted.

We 're definitely poised for another Week One like two years ago when more than half of the pool took Miami to beat the lowly Texans, and Houston won. That was a pretty darn short pool... :rolleyes:

Good luck, gentlemen.

dB

P.S. Yes, Ski - that would be a record. ;)

• Members

Originally posted by Dave Bryce

P.S. Yes, Ski - that would be a record.
;)

Yeah, well, you've undoubtedly noticed that I'm avoiding the "easy pick crowd" (Rams over Niners) like the plague. I'm not even going to get near Vikings over the Bucs. evil.gif

No... If I go down in flames again this year in the first week, I'm going alone, and I'll go out singing "I Did It MY Way!" wink.gif However, I'd guess that I'd at least get some sympathy from Geoff. freak.gif

thumb.gifthumb.gif

• Members

Originally posted by Ski

If I go down in flames again this year in the first week, I'm going alone

It's not a great idea to let what others are choosing influence your pick...believe me, I know how tempting it is, but you should choose whichever one you think is the best game regardless of what everyone else is doing.

The reason I was resisting St. Louis was because so many others were picking it - bad reason to pass on a good pick, IMO.

dB

• Members

OK, if the picks remain the same for the next 14 hours or so, then here are some stats for our 2005 KSS NFL Survival Pool:

There are 22 contestants.

If St. Louis loses, 8 contestants will be eliminated - dB, steadyb, Sir Garrote, wineandkeys, MarkZ, Postman, Llarion, and me. (Go Rams!)

If Minnesota loses, our pool will lose 6 contestants - Rabid, Geoff, RockXtreme, Red Winger, Antematter, and Jackpine.

If Denver loses, say goodbye to 3 of our pool contestants - MikeT156, Weasel, and SynFull Music.

If Pittsburgh bombs, Counterpoint's gone.

If Washington tanks, Magpel gets yanked.

If San Diego sucked, then, sorry, Dak's fuct.

If New England gets Raided, Still Learning gets faded.

If Green Bay gets defeated, in week one Ski's deleted.

Sorry, that got way too cute at the end.

Archived