OT: NFL survival pool 2005

Dave Bryce

• Replies 357
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Two years in a row I'm out of the football pool in the first week. I thought Denver would break their away losing streak at Miami this year and they {censored} the bed. It was no fluke, Miami made the Broncos looks like a bunch of chumps. :rolleyes: I was watching the game in a sports bar with every game on one TV or another and I couldn't believe what I was seeing. :confused:

Another oddity was the Steelers lopsided win over the Titans. When Tennessee marched down the field and scored on their first drive, I thought we were in for a LONG afternoon. :( That first drive was all she wrote for the Titans. It was all Steelers after that. I realize that we were "only" playing the Titans, but Big Ben looked sharp today. Nice spirals, and some fairly good long throws. Hines Ward didn't do very much. But Randle L did, and so did Parker. Duce and Bettis might as well get comfortable on the bench. If Parker can sustain his running like he did today, after this season it will be so long Duce, and the Bus is going to retire anyway, so it will be time for new backs in Steeler country.

Mike T.

• Members
Originally posted by Miket156

Another oddity was the Steelers lopsided win over the Titans. When Tennessee marched down the field and scored on their first drive, I thought we were in for a LONG afternoon.
:(
That first drive was all she wrote for the Titans. It was all Steelers after that. I realize that we were "only" playing the Titans, but Big Ben looked sharp today. Nice spirals, and some fairly good long throws. Hines Ward didn't do very much. But Randle L did, and so did Parker. Duce and Bettis might as well get comfortable on the bench. If Parker can sustain his running like he did today, after this season it will be so long Duce, and the Bus is going to retire anyway, so it will be time for new backs in Steeler country.

Mike T.

Go Steelers!!!

:D

• Members
Originally posted by Jeff da Weasel

Out in week one.

AAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGHHHHHH!!!!!!

:mad:

Unbelievable. They had it... :rolleyes:

Week One Results
dB - St. Louis lost...eliminated
MikeT156 - Denver lost...eliminated
Rabid - Minnesota lost...eliminated
Steadyb - St. Louis lost...eliminated
Geoff Grace - Minnesota lost...eliminated
Magpel - Washington won
RockXtreme - Minnesota lost...eliminated
Jeff Da Weasel - Denver lost...eliminated
Red Winger - Minnesota lost...eliminated
Counterpoint - Pittsburgh won
Sir Garrote - St. Louis lost...eliminated
Antematter - Minnesota lost...eliminated
wineandkeyz - St. Louis lost...eliminated
MarkZ - St. Louis lost...eliminated
Postman - St. Louis lost...eliminated
Llarion - St. Louis lost...eliminated
Johnny Storm - St. Louis lost...eliminated
Daklander - San Diego lost...eliminated
Still Learning - New England won
Jackpine - Minnesota lost...eliminated
Ski - Green Bay lost...eliminated
Synfull Music - Denver lost...eliminated
dabowsa - Washington won
Radiospace - Cincinnati won
Furrball - Cincinnati won

Now that is what I call some major carnage.

Nineteen down, six to go...

dB

• Members

Originally posted by Miket156

Do we get to start over if everyone goes down in flames?

Maybe, but probably not...

Part of the charm of the pool is that no one knows what's up in Week One. Eliminating that variable changes the face of the pool.

Believe me, I'd love to restart it...but that probably ain't gonna happen.

dB

• Members

Originally posted by Dave Bryce

Nineteen down, six to go...

I've never seen a bloodbath like this one. NEVER!

When I noticed that a lot of folks had picked the Vikes, the Rams, and the Broncos, I thought, "Gee, wouldn't it be interesting if one of those teams lost?" But ALL THREE? Holy smokes! What's going on in this league?

Congrats to my brother survivors. We're lean and mean, now, boys! And to tell you the truth, Week Two doesn't look any easier!

• Members

Originally posted by Counterpoint

I've never seen a bloodbath like this one. NEVER!

When I noticed that a lot of folks had picked the Vikes, the Rams, and the Broncos, I thought, "Gee, wouldn't it be interesting if one of those teams lost?" But ALL THREE? Holy smokes! What's going on in this league?

Congrats to my brother survivors. We're lean and mean, now, boys! And to tell you the truth, Week Two doesn't look any easier!

Who's left?

• Members

Originally posted by MarkZ

I'm in. Going with the regional favorite: Buffalo.

They're at home vs. Houston though Buffalo is starting rookie QB JP Losman. If he keeps things simple, gives Willis McGahee a ton of carries, and the strong Buffalo defense does it's job, then I'll look like a genius.

Originally posted by MarkZ

Changing pick to:

St Louis

After what I saw in Buffalo last Friday night, I can't take the Bills yet though they have a good home opener record. Coach Mike Mullarkey said that he might look for a new kicker because Ryan Lindell can't hit from 40+ yards. That's a slam against the kicker AND the offense.

Losman came out firing. Bills are 9-0 when McGahee goes over 80 yds/game. Buffalo defense looked great. Rian Lindell goes 5/5 on FGs with a 42 yarder.

:rolleyes:

• Members

Originally posted by Geoff Grace

It's surprising, in retrospect, that only one of us chose New England.

That's not a knock against Oakland, it's just that the Patriots are the only real dynasty in this era of parity. What were the odds of the champs losing their home opener?

Best,

Geoff

NE has undergone significant coaching changes. That was a big question mark in my mind.

Archived