THD Bivalve and Tubes - self biasing 30w Class A - $875 Shipped

Chickentown

• Members

***SOLD***

THD Bivalve for sale - $875 shipped (CON-US) with a cornucopia of cool vintage and newer tubes.

I really like this amp, but it needs to go so I can hold on to my Mesa Boogie.

I'll send along an arsenal of tubes so you can start trying all the possibilities right away. The amp is serial #10 and comes with the optional gig bag. It originally came from THD is a small flaw in the "cage" that doesn't affect anything, but it keeps it from being 100% mint. Photos with a close-up of this spot are on the way.

Description from THD:

The big brother of the THD UniValve, the BiValve-30 is a Single-Ended Class-A amplifier head with dual output tubes that can be switched at will among many octal-based power tubes, including 6L6, EL-34, 6550, 6CA7. 6V6, 6K6, KT-90, KT-88, KT-77 and KT-66, for different tones without re-biasing the amp. The two output tubes do not need to be matched in any way

• Members

I was getting excellent british sounds from this amp - it loves EL34's and the combination shown, an EL34 with a 6L6. With 12AX7s in both preamp slots and plugged in to the "More" channel it gets just smokin' heavy rock tone. Plug in preamp tubes with less gain factor and it's edge-of-breakup alt or blues or rock or whatever. It can really do it all, but it probably won't go Fender Twin clean headroom for days or scooped Mesa IIC+ shred. It's for all the beautiful territory in between in my opinion.

That's not to say a different tube comination couldn't do the other stuff too...just what I've found. And the hotplate gets you down to super power tube overdrive and bedroom volume.

Hope someone snaps this up - *well* worth it and so fun to tweak on tube-wise if you like that stuff.

• Members

for the folks posting wtb tube amp under $1K....

This thing is the ticket. It kinda does it all, is built to last, and has a built in attenuator. Unlike the Univalve, there is no problem keeping up with a drummer and bass player.

Can anyone with a THD testify?

Thanks for checkin' it out!

• Members

Hey Matrix -

THD and Ed Degenaro used to have a bunch of clips up, but I've noticed the links are broken at the moment. Musician's Friend has some clips to check out:

http://img3.musiciansfriend.com/dbase/media/product/mp3/48/481281_thdbi30_1.mp3

http://img3.musiciansfriend.com/dbase/media/product/mp3/48/481281_thdbi30_2.mp3

I could get massive gain out it and several different flavors depending on the tubes. The amp specializes at power tube distorion. I don't think it would be the first choice for death metal, but it does have lots of gain.

If anyone knows how to link to Ed's clips, let me know!

• Members

for the folks posting wtb tube amp under $1K....

This thing is the ticket. It kinda does it all, is built to last, and has a built in attenuator. Unlike the Univalve, there is no problem keeping up with a drummer and bass player.

Can anyone with a THD testify?

Thanks for checkin' it out!

I've been using my Univalve thru a 2X12 with a 4 pc band for years. Only in the big rooms or outside do I have to us one of my more powerful amps or A/B/Y. If I just didn't buy the Bad Cat, I'd jump all over this. The RCA 6V6's love THD

• Members

Like your Jerry avatar, Stonedtone!

Yea, didn't mean to disparage the Univalve's abilities to cut it in a full band - glad it's been working for you. The Bivalve can be huge with a 4x12 or be a bedroom amp. So flexible and with an fx loop.

I'd give someone good mileage on a trade + cash for one of those tweedy Blues Junior NOS's or a well-appointed Blues Junior of some kind. I'm through killing myself hauling around the million pounds of mesa boogie wood/wicker and road case for little jams and rehearsals!

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

FWIW reviews from MF. The first guy is particularly high on his Bivalve:

"This is a professional tube amp with a buffered effects loop... the real deal. Imagine the sweetest Marshall Plexi and the best vintage Twin together in one small box, about 40 lbs. Now picture that with less hum, top quality components and the ability to accept any tube type without a trip to the shop. That is the THD amp incarnate.

This is totally professional gear for serious players or those who appreciate quality craftsmanship and intelligent engineering.

The price is NOT exorbitant when you consider all it replaces. It is entirely worth every penny."

Archived