Plea for banning me

keyman_sam

• Members

I have a very sincere request and explanation to make.

HC is a really wonderful place. Thing is, i'm too ADDICTED to it! I cant stop watching these forums everyday! They take up my time. I tried controlling it and it worked...for 2 days. Then, the NAMM excitement bit me and i went into temptation overload mode. :cry:

So, i'm asking the mods whether they can ban my ip address, so i cant log in. First of all, i've removed the bookmarks to this site to help me forget HC. I cant help it. I'm wasting time here.

Please dont mistake this thread as a "i'm gonna go...goodbye....cry for me" thread. Its a "I'm wasting {censored}load of time. Someone kick me out of this!" thread. :mad:

If i ever need something really important, like i'm selling/buying something, i'll try to tell my virtual friends to let the mods know i need to access this forum. They can maybe give me a guest pass or something. :cry:

I know there are some people here who are addicted to forums as well, but they got jobs, a wife, and kids and setlled in life. I'm a teenager. If i screw up now, i'm dead meat. :mad::cry:

BTW, the whole reason this idea came up to me was, yesterday i was browsing the entire day and started at 10 pm to do my homework. Got a 60 in my calc test and a C in my network class. NOt good. :mad: so i thought, hey, if i get kicked out, that'll keep me from the forums! :)

Seeya guyz later. Yall are the best. :wave:

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I want music to be the only distraction. I play keys quite often. Its these forums that waste my time, methinks.

I dont have an Xbox, PS2, 350, or whatever the game consoles are. I dont have cable either. thats cos i wanted to concentrate in music more than games. I have a PC and i play Halo demo sometimes. Thats about it.

I think i'll ask the other forums to ban me as well. I dont go to musicplayer forums, cos, well, that aint my sort of place, but i visit the other forums like kvr, etc. So banning me in all these forums should work, methinks(hopefully).

• Members

Originally posted by keyman_sam

I want music to be the only distraction. I play keys quite often. Its these forums that waste my time, methinks.

I dont have an Xbox, PS2, 350, or whatever the game consoles are. I dont have cable either. thats cos i wanted to concentrate in music more than games. I have a PC and i play Halo demo sometimes. Thats about it.

I think i'll ask the other forums to ban me as well. I dont go to musicplayer forums, cos, well, that aint my sort of place, but i visit the other forums like kvr, etc. So banning me in all these forums should work, methinks(hopefully).

Your serious?............Go practice the piano and be one of the people that can actually play on here. We need more of you.

• Members

Originally posted by John B NYC

Kinda silly cause he can still read the forums, and thats what would take up a majority of the time...

agreed. not just that, he can always access and post again using new moniker and from another IP.

not to say i dont understand him very well, i had the same thoughts lately, feeling i'm having to many discrations/alibies to keep me from what i'm supposed to do. havent figured how to cut down on the forums - without leaving all together.

• Members

Originally posted by keyman_sam

II cant stop watching these forums everyday! They take up my time. I tried controlling it and it worked...for 2 days.

HAHAHAHA!!! Kid, don't worry! This is all normal. :thu:

Twelve years ago i left music school because what i liked was sound programming, instead of learning how to play "B minor" scale. Sometimes i would spend 10 hours without a stop on my synth programming (only break was for the food). And was that all wrong?

As Brian Eno once said: "turn mistakes into new ideas".

At the moment i'm in negotiations with a sample CD's related company. So if leaving music school was a mistake, maybe i can turn it into something good. BTW i got a regular job so dont care if this will be sucess or failure.

As long as you don't spend time playing video games or watching stupid TV, everything is ok.

• Members

As long as you don't spend time playing video games or watching stupid TV, everything is ok.

hm..... playing video games is what got me into computers instead of chemistry, best move of my life. I make twice what I would have as a chemist and I have more fun.

TV? That really is a waste of time.

If you remove all the distractions you'll burn out quickly anyway.

• Members
Originally posted by Umbra

The forum isn't the problem. You'll just find another distraction.

I tend to agree, but this is the presenting problem. Internet addiction is a real issue these days......Ask yourself why you are avoiding/escaping other important things in your life then take steps to moderate your Internet exposure. For example, impose a structural intervention around your Internet use: If you have something important to do at the computer, use a different computer (one from which you can not access the Internet) than the one you use for the HC forums. Make sure this alternate computer is in a different physical setting/environment than the one you use for Internet access as this will allow you to avoid the Pavlovian respondent conditioning thing......I can further explain this if you like. Also, keep a written log of the total amount of time you spend on the forums so you can look at the data over the long haul. When you are on HC, you may want to impose a time limit as well. A timer/alarm clock may assist in this regard.

• Members

It was good to see this forum return to vigorous on-topic discussions during NAMM... I participated every day. Amazingly, the football thread was even bumped off of page 1! Now that NAMM is over and the football thread has returned to it's dominant position, I'll go back to checking in weekly instead of daily. :bor:

• Members

Originally posted by Pawnz

..If you have something important to do at the computer, use a different computer (one from which you can not access the Internet) than the one you use for the HC forums. Make sure this alternate computer is in a different physical setting/environment than the one you use for Internet access as this will allow you to avoid the Pavlovian respondent conditioning thing....

so true. i tried this by having fast connection at my parents house, and having none over here. so i would need to go over there only for important stuff.

but, it only worked for a while - soon i started spending more and more time at their place.. :o so i had to switch back. yes, it's nothing more than lack of character and willpower - that'd be me..

i do have two installations of windows on two separate hd, so i choose work or play on startup. it helps a bit.

• Members

Amazingly, the football thread was even bumped off of page 1! Now that NAMM is over and the football thread has returned to it's dominant position, I'll go back to checking in weekly instead of daily.

I noticed it's back too.:( Soon we will just have a bunch of lame sports threads.... the NFL thread the NBA thread, the nascar thread, the soccer thread, the american leman's series thread, the cricket thread....

Archived