Can anybody compare NI B4 (ver2) to the Electro's B3 sim?

program_insect

• Members

Originally posted by program_insect

I need a good B3 clone and I've wanted the Electro for a while, but the B4 is a lot cheaper....can anybody assuage my GAS by telling me how the organ sounds in the two sims compare? Also, how do the Leslie sims stack up?

Oh here we go again.

• Members

I can mask any things i don't like about b4 with production/mixing. I use it all the time though. If you're talking about using live, i'd say electro all the way, but its pricey if you aren't going to be using it as your main kb, and are just adding it to have a good electro sounds. If you can afford it do it though. Again i use b4 all the time in the studio, but i'm not a giant enthusiast of electro instruments so it's not a pick apart every detail for me. I open my ears and listen to whether or not i like the leslie sound or not, regardless or the real thing or any past models. That's all my way of doing it though, everyones is different.

I'd say if orgran sounds are something you plan on using all the time, and you have the cash. go for the electro, or find someone in your classifieds, or around town that is trying to get rid of an old orgran :). If it's just somethign you want for a couple of tracks, or want to know you can have a "decent" orgran sound when you need one , b4 likely won't disappoint you.

• Members

Originally posted by bdub

Well, if you're picky about the Leslie sim then B4 is *not* for you (either version)...it is obviously fake from a mile away. The Nord does an admirable job in that area, as does the Korg CX-3.

So you've evaluated all the Leslie models in B4II, tweeked all the parameters extensively and still came up with it's fake from a mile away? Ummm... OK:rolleyes:

BTW if you're listening from a mile away you might be standing in my yard and hearing my real 147. Where in N. VA are you?

• Members

Originally posted by -groovatious-

The electro feels and sounds very sterile IMHO

:confused:

OK I respect everyone's opinion, but I would NEVER thought anyone would ever call the Electro sound sterile....

About the Electro feel, well im an organist so glissando and smears and overdrive stuff make me happy all day & night ....I can say I never had any problems... my Electro never let me down (I'm not gonna start about piano sounds and feel cuz that's another thread, and I'm no freakin piano player)

I have tried the B4 also, and I could get good sound (pleasing my ears) with that thing too, I think it's not so much a question what hard or software you , but also who is using the stuff and for what purpose (live/studio/ organ solo/comp/ whatever)

• Members

Returning an Electro 73 today- may hold out for the Stage 76 because I like the sounds so much. I am waiting to hear more about the new Hammond XK-1 too.

About B4- is it out of the question for them to make a hardware version of that, after 3-4 years on the market? I'll be damned if I take a laptop to a gig.

• Members

Originally posted by program_insect

Sorry mate, I check this forum on a regular basis and I don't remember ever hearing much about B4...if this is a common question then I apologize...

No problem the whole Hammond/Leslie debate thing has been done to death in the last 5 years I have been here that's all. I made a joke about the Electro purists here but this forum is very much behind Clavia products. You will find that as you hang out here more. I myself have been getting into the real thing and restoration of them lately.

• Members

Originally posted by Outkaster

No problem the whole Hammond/Leslie debate thing has been done to death in the last 5 years I have been here that's all. I made a joke about the Electro purists here but this forum is very much behind Clavia products. You will find that as you hang out here more. I myself have been getting into the real thing and restoration of them lately.

I am an Electro "purist" (an oxymoron) :D for gigging, but highly prefer the real thing at home with an A-101 and 122 in my music room. I don't have the gumption to haul that rig to my gigs, nor would it fit on many stages and the logistics are just not worth the effort to me. I can't see what's wrong with folks liking the Electro or other Clavia products.

I can't comment on Electro vs. B4. Aside from its lack of drawbars, I think the Electro is a fine choice for not only Hammond but also clav, Wurly and Rhodes. I get around the drawbar problem by using a set of Voce MIDI Drawbars.

Regards,

Eric

• Members

Originally posted by eric

I am an Electro "purist" (an oxymoron)
:D
for gigging, but highly prefer the real thing at home with an A-101 and 122 in my music room. I don't have the gumption to haul that rig to my gigs, nor would it fit on many stages and the logistics are just not worth the effort to me. I can't see what's wrong with folks liking the Electro or other Clavia products.

I can't comment on Electro vs. B4. Aside from its lack of drawbars, I think the Electro is a fine choice for not only Hammond but also clav, Wurly and Rhodes. I get around the drawbar problem by using a set of Voce MIDI Drawbars.

Regards,

Eric

I remember those old Voce units. People eat those up on E-bay. I had a Micro B and Korg G4 in 1994-1995. I understand the logistics of moving the Hammond. Nothing is wrong with liking that clone.I just do not think it is the end all answer to electro-mechanical clones.

• Members

I am currently using a V3 I got from eric and even on its own it is way cool. The Leslie sim is even OK, but I can't wait to get my Leslie 760 resurrected.

I think the Electro's Leslie sim is great but IMO it still can't take the place of a real Leslie, with the horn splashing the highs all over the room.. BTW last I checked, Outkaster doesn't even gig with a real Leslie speaker- I guess that makes me more of a"purist":D

• Members

Originally posted by pink floyd cramer

I am currently using a V3 I got from eric and even on its own it is way cool. The Leslie sim is even OK, but I can't wait to get my Leslie 760 resurrected.

I think the Electro's Leslie sim is great but IMO it still can't take the place of a real Leslie, with the horn splashing the highs all over the room.. BTW last I checked, Outkaster doesn't even gig with a real Leslie speaker- I guess that makes me more of a"purist":D

Actually I have. I am getting a 145 to take out that was roaded. I will not use the one I have because it is living room condition. You 760 will need something that will take that pin configuration.

• Members

Well shut my mouth:o . Actually I had been using a yamaha SO3, with its # 45 rock organ sample, with the solid-state 760. Hardly a purist set-up there, but it sounded great.

The 760 is a 9 pin, and the V3 is 11 pin, so I just use the 1/4 ins on the Leslie's preamp. I know a local guy who has a 122r, may get him to check out the V3 and see what he thinks- when I'm done with it.

• Members

Originally posted by pink floyd cramer

Well shut my mouth:o . Actually I had been using a yamaha SO3, with its # 45 rock organ sample, with the solid-state 760. Hardly a purist set-up there, but it sounded great.

The 760 is a 9 pin, and the V3 is 11 pin, so I just use the 1/4 ins on the Leslie's preamp. I know a local guy who has a 122r, may get him to check out the V3 and see what he thinks- when I'm done with it.

See if you can get a 142 or 122. The Reverb should come from the organ not the speaker. Some people do not like the RV series that came out (147/122)

• Members

How much do the drawbars cost these days? Are they no longer produced?

And what is this XK-1 I see mentioned?! Looks interesting.. and new at NAMM?! Surprised this is the first I've seen of it... Any idea what the extra 8 voices are? Looks like it includes an electric piano, how does this compare to the Electro? 33lbs kind of sucks, does this unit also remove the tube on the XK-3? And isn't it more expensive than an XK-3 while lacking the same number of drawbars and ability to take the Hammond lower manual for expansion? That new Pro XK-System looks pretty interesting, too!

Thanks for the info.

Archived