My 'Speed' series, collected in 1 thread

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

These seem to be very well designed exercises - quite an amazing job by Auggie. I find the stretches difficult. For instance, playing the pull-off/hammer-ons:

-----3-7-5-3-5-7------------------------------

on the G string, the 3-5-7 hammer-on is OK, but the 7-5 pulloff seems very awkward if I use my middle finger on the 5th fret and pinky on the 7th fret. It's slightly easier if I use my ring finger on the 5th fret.

Is there a recommended fingering for this, or is it an individual thing? Also, do you guys hold the guitar neck up at a 45 degree angle, classical style, to get your write at the right angle to attack this?

By the way, now that this excellent thread is sticky'd, it would be nice to remove all the bump posts that had no other content. The moderators could also remove all the posts about bad links now that Pepsi posted the whole series and they work perfectly. Someone like me who encounters this for the first time has to wade through 7 pages to find the posts that discuss the subject. If nothing else, when the moderators pull together a FAQ, they could pull out the important parts of this thread.

• Members

These seem to be very well designed exercises - quite an amazing job by Auggie. I find the stretches difficult. For instance, playing the pull-off/hammer-ons:

-----3-7-5-3-5-7------------------------------

on the G string, the 3-5-7 hammer-on is OK, but the 7-5 pulloff seems very awkward if I use my middle finger on the 5th fret and pinky on the 7th fret. It's slightly easier if I use my ring finger on the 5th fret.

Is there a recommended fingering for this, or is it an individual thing? Also, do you guys hold the guitar neck up at a 45 degree angle, classical style, to get your write at the right angle to attack this?

By the way, now that this excellent thread is sticky'd, it would be nice to remove all the bump posts that had no other content. The moderators could also remove all the posts about bad links now that Pepsi posted the whole series and they work perfectly. Someone like me who encounters this for the first time has to wade through 7 pages to find the posts that discuss the subject. If nothing else, when the moderators pull together a FAQ, they could pull out the important parts of this thread.

Generally I'd say go with what is easiest/most comfortable. Personally i'd finger that with the 1st,2nd and 4th fingers. I prefer the 'classical' position (guitar over left knee, up at 45 degree angle) because ergonomically speaking it's better, so you're less likely to develop an RSI and it's also closer to how the guitar sits when you're standing up with a strap.

• Members

Generally I'd say go with what is easiest/most comfortable. Personally i'd finger that with the 1st,2nd and 4th fingers. I prefer the 'classical' position (guitar over left knee, up at 45 degree angle) because ergonomically speaking it's better, so you're less likely to develop an RSI and it's also closer to how the guitar sits when you're standing up with a strap.

Thanks for your response. Normally I use the lazy old rock position, but on these exercises I really need to pull it up into the classical angle. After working through a few of these lessons my left forearm and hand are noticeably tired. It must be doing me some good. I try to work through the first 4 or 5 lessons every night. Changing positions so frequently is what slows me down the most. It seems too random to memorize.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

I've been asked to combine the links to my 'speed' series into one place, and I finally got around to it.

***NOTICE***

Every time HC upgrades the forum software, my pdf attachments get ruined. So, even though the lesson threads are intact, the downloads are not. You can find them (parts 1-17) here:

Cool, thanks, but I just dled this zip and it says that it's an invalid file.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Wow---after all this time, this thread FINALLY got a sticky?!?!?!

Glad to see people were still able to get the files. I tried to upload a new pdf here, but it doesn't seem to work.
:mad:

:wave:

:eek::eek::eek:

Holy {censored}e, the man is alive!

Welcome back!

EDIT: I did achieve the whole series and posted a link but there is no audio. Would you still have those or any updated lessons?

• Members
:eek:

Holy {censored}e, the man is alive!

Welcome back!

EDIT: I did achieve the whole series and posted a link but there is no audio. Would you still have those or any updated lessons?

:)

I don't have anything new...and somewhere I still have the old ones. And I still haven't figured out how to attach a pdf file here now. :mad:

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

hm... I had your lessons saved for a while now n since I have some basics done I wanted to print everything includng your posts describing what to do with the pdf's.... had to realize that the links to pt. 18 n 19 won't work - how come?!?! they're the newest ones I'd guess... help me out auggie! ;)

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Archived