My 'Speed' series, collected in 1 thread

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Originally posted by Auggie Doggie

The first thing to play is a stream of 16th notes, with the downbeats accented, at the 1st string 8th fret 'C'. Begin on a downstroke, and strictly alternate thereafter (so the picking always goes 'down up down up down up...'). Play the figure as written, take a little rest when you get to the end of the line., and repeat as much as you'd like. Then do the same thing, only using the notes from the arpeggio in the same way, to get used to tremolo picking on all of the strings.

The other examples are the same basic idea, only instead of 16th notes (4 notes per beat), you use quintuplets (5 per beat), sextuplets (6 per beat), etc.

I've been playing for quite a while, but never really formally practice trying to get my speed, well, up to speed. So I'm goign to srat with the help of your guides. I was wondering if maybe I should first start off with one or 2 notes a beat and then work my way up to 4, to make sure they're on time? Or do you think I should go right into 4 notes per beat to help develop my own style/more relaxed groove?

Also, any tips for how to count for quintuplets and sextuplets?

Thanks

• Members

Originally posted by broknstuff

I've been playing for quite a while, but never really formally practice trying to get my speed, well, up to speed. So I'm goign to srat with the help of your guides. I was wondering if maybe I should first start off with one or 2 notes a beat and then work my way up to 4, to make sure they're on time? Or do you think I should go right into 4 notes per beat to help develop my own style/more relaxed groove?

At the very least, start with 2.

Also, any tips for how to count for quintuplets and sextuplets?

Thanks

Quintuplets: "U-NI-VER-SI-TY"

Sextuplets: "IR-RI-TA-BI-LI-TY"

For me, I just think of sextuplets as two eighth notes split into three parts each--3 on the down beat, 3 on the up.

• Members
Originally posted by TikiPalooza11

Auggie, just wondering, how fast can you pick...BPM in 16th notes?

That's kind of a vague question; if you mean simply picking a single note (tremolo picking), then I can get up to somewhere around 240-250 bpm. If you mean playing a figure that involves normal string crossing and lots of fret-hand stuff, then lop about 60-75 bpm from that. :p If there's a lot of string skipping (and nothing resembling a picking 'pattern'), then 144 is about the upper limit before it turns to mush, and that's if I've really practiced it.

The funny thing (given that I've dedicated an entire series to 'speed') is that I don't consider myself to be a speedy player. I don't work on speed to play faster; I work on it so that I can play difficult, intricate, and complex pieces without my hands getting all tied up in knots. I can focus more on accents, phrasing, etc, rather than allocating all of my brain's processing power to the physical stuff.

• Members

That's kind of a vague question; if you mean simply picking a single note (tremolo picking), then I can get up to somewhere around 240-250 bpm. If you mean playing a figure that involves normal string crossing and lots of fret-hand stuff, then lop about 60-75 bpm from that.
:p
If there's a lot of string skipping (and nothing resembling a picking 'pattern'), then 144 is about the upper limit before it turns to mush, and that's if I've
really
praticed it.

The funny thing (given that I've dedicated an entire series to 'speed') is that I don't consider myself to be a speedy player. I don't work on speed to play faster; I work on it so that I can play difficult, intricate, and complex pieces without my hands getting all tied up in knots. I can focus more on accents, phrasing, etc, rather than allocating all of my brain's processing power to the physical stuff.

That's very cool. And you trem pick with mainly wrist as well? I don't know if you've visited the Guitar Principles forum but the guy Ney Mello there goes on and on about all these different picking techniques to be used in conjunction with one another yet I don't know if it's necessary. According to you, wrist motion can get to almost any speed you would really ever need. I would rather (not be lazy on technique, actually the opposite- just not learning all these "complex" motions of picking) focus on learning music skills etc..
Any opinion on this?
And do you have any mp3's of yourself?

Thanks so much :)

P.S. - How would you be at playing Mediterranean Sundance, is that "in your league"?

• Members

That's very cool. And you trem pick with mainly wrist as well?

I pick 100% from the wrist.

I don't know if you've visited the Guitar Principles forum but the guy Ney Mello there goes on and on about all these different picking techniques to be used in conjunction with one another yet I don't know if it's necessary. According to you, wrist motion can get to almost any speed you would really ever need.

I didn't even know there was a forum over there.
:p

I can generate more speed from my wrist than I'd ever have any practical use for, and it allows me plenty of control over tone, dynamics, etc., without putting any strain on muscles or tendons, so I have no reason to pick any other way.

I would rather (not be lazy on technique, actually the opposite- just not learning all these "complex" motions of picking) focus on learning music skills etc..

Any opinion on this?

My entire approach (both in my own practice/playing as well as the books I write) is based on practical, useful skills rather than working on mechanics in a vacuum. Even when I do something that appears to be purely mechanical, there's always (at least) one other thing being worked on (sometimes rhythmic, sometimes it's a fingering problem, etc).

And do you have any mp3's of yourself?

There are a handful of mp3's on my website, though I wouldn't put too much emphasis on them as they were kinda thrown together. I used to have a whole bunch more, but I lost them when my hard drive died last year.
:mad:

Thanks so much
:)

P.S. - How would you be at playing Mediterranean Sundance, is that "in your league"?

Hmmm...I've never tried it! :o I'll have to look into it and get back to you.

• Members

In regards to the mp3's, I'm not sure if you were referring to those found here:

http://www.raisingthebarre.com/Sample.htm

but the ones there have a "Not Found" page when I click on them.

They work here :confused:

Some people's browsers have trouble with the files, though. If I try to use Firefox, for example, the links don't work, but they're OK when using IE.

• Members

They work here
:confused:

Some people's browsers have trouble with the files, though. If I try to use Firefox, for example, the links don't work, but they're OK when using IE.

Ah yeah I mainly use Firefox but I listened on IE. Sounds good, I'll have to pick up your book(s) eventually. Hopefully this is my last question for you: is your picking as good on acoustic as on electric?

• Members

Ah yeah I mainly use Firefox but I listened on IE. Sounds good, I'll have to pick up your book(s) eventually. Hopefully this is my last question for you: is your picking as good on acoustic as on electric?

As far as picking goes, I'm pretty much the same on acoustic and electric. Each has its advantages and disadvantages, of course, but all things weighed, it works out about the same. :)

• Members

OK OK, I have another question ;) :
When picking two strings at a time (say G and B) or strumming chords, what motion do you use? What would make sense to me is a wrist motion for the actual pushing through the string but elbow movement to help bring the pick farther along so it is in a good position to do so. Though I'm not sure how I could implement this at a slow speed so I could build upon it.
Your thoughts?

• Members

OK OK, I have another question
;)
:

When picking two strings at a time (say G and B) or strumming chords, what motion do you use? What would make sense to me is a wrist motion for the actual pushing through the string but elbow movement to help bring the pick farther along so it is in a good position to do so. Though I'm not sure how I could implement this at a slow speed so I could build upon it.

Your thoughts?

The picking motions themselves are always generated from the wrist. However, my elbow does come into play when I need to relocate my entire picking hand, but I don't use it for the picking motion.

I hope that doesn't sound like semantics. :D

• Members

The picking motions themselves are always generated from the wrist. However, my elbow does come into play when I need to relocate my entire picking hand, but I don't use it for the picking motion.

I hope that doesn't sound like semantics.
:D

Heh, it seems hard to make the whole strumming motion of 6 strings with just the wrist though. :freak:

• Members

Heh, it seems hard to make the whole strumming motion of 6 strings with just the wrist though.
:freak:

'Strumming' isn't quite the same as 'picking'; the motions are a bit different.

With that said, I still strum using only my wrist. :p (of course, I have very big hands, so all those notes are still well within reach). :D

• Members

Heh, it seems hard to make the whole strumming motion of 6 strings with just the wrist though.
:freak:

Yeah, but it's possible... If you watch some of those bluegrass or gypsy swing players (both styles require breakneck strumming), it's almost as though their wrists are tethered to the bridge... NO arm movement whatsoever. I've been trying to master it for years, but my arm still moves.
-dd

• Members

What confuses me here is that at http://www.tuckandpatti.com/pick-finger_tech.html#standard
Tuck says that with translation movement (which I believe is what Auggie uses) you can only get up to 12-13 nps. And you have definitely surpassed this. I've been reading about picking and am getting so much info from all different directions and it is REALLY confusing :confused::(

• Members

What confuses me here is that at
http://www.tuckandpatti.com/pick-finger_tech.html#standard

Tuck says that with translation movement (which I believe is what Auggie uses) you can only get up to 12-13 nps. And you have definitely surpassed this. I've been reading about picking and am getting so much info from all different directions and it is REALLY confusing
:confused::(

Honestly, the best thing to do is stop reading and start playing. Over-analysis yields paralysis.

If Tuck wants to come over to my place and measure my picking posture with a protractor and micrometer, he's more than welcome. :D

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members
Originally posted by sekler

seems awesome...but for some reason my acrobat reader won't open it, says unrecognized token []j was found..several parsing errors found
:cry:

Look a little further down in this thread for a link to where I re-uploaded the first 8 pdf files. :)

Archived