My 'Speed' series, collected in 1 thread

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Originally posted by dastardlydrvish

Sorry.. I guess I didn't read closely enough. I found the files; still want to check out those books, though. Thanks for sharing all of this.

Glad you found the files. :thu:

Also, unless someone uses an email address oddly similar to your screen name, I got your order. Thank you!--I'll get it in the mail tomorrow (Tuesday, Jan 24). I'll send your confirmation email when I can actually get INTO my email. :mad: (it's not worked all day...much like myself :D )

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

one thing i wonder is...with how much Auggie puts into the Speed series...whats left for Raising the Barre? :confused:

a lot im sure :D

and Auggie...im hopefully about to start a new job, and i hope to be able to get some more material from you...with all the free stuff youve given us here, i kinda feel obligated to get some stuff from you for all your hard work!

• Members

Originally posted by soc_monki

one thing i wonder is...with how much Auggie puts into the Speed series...whats left for Raising the Barre?
:confused:

a lot im sure
:D

Heh...the Speed series concentrates on the physiological stuff (in other words, the crudest of fundamental mechanics)...
Raising the Barre
adds mental, visual, memory, musical, and listening skills to those. It was designed to make neural connections and interconnections in your brain (hearing, speech/language centers, motor control, etc) while working your hands into ground meat.

While on the surface it appears to be mainly technical, there's much more at play. I wish I could find a high-tech laboratory and some human guinea pigs to do a 'this is your brain...this is your brain on R.T.B.' study.

and Auggie...im hopefully about to start a new job, and i hope to be able to get some more material from you...with all the free stuff youve given us here, i kinda feel obligated to get some stuff from you for all your hard work!

Congrats on the job! You shouldn't feel obligated, but of course I greatly appreciate all the business I get. :p

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Originally posted by jdiesel77

im sorry, im not grasping this...can someone tell me how to use part 1? im just not understanding..sorry for being an idiot

Can you explain more specifically what it is you don't understand? Your question is a bit vague. :)

• Members

i just downloaded the 1st part of the speed series, and im not quite sure how to play it. it says 88888888 etc, then says play these notes as the pattern above...sorry im just not sure how to play it...im not understanding how to read it...do i start off by downpicking the 8 then upstroke the 8, etc, then move onto the f arpeggio? thanks

• Members

The first thing to play is a stream of 16th notes, with the downbeats accented, at the 1st string 8th fret 'C'. Begin on a downstroke, and strictly alternate thereafter (so the picking always goes 'down up down up down up...'). Play the figure as written, take a little rest when you get to the end of the line., and repeat as much as you'd like. Then do the same thing, only using the notes from the arpeggio in the same way, to get used to tremolo picking on all of the strings.

The other examples are the same basic idea, only instead of 16th notes (4 notes per beat), you use quintuplets (5 per beat), sextuplets (6 per beat), etc.

• Members

thanks very much...i know i am suppsoed to go through each excercise at various speeds, but at what point would u think it makes sense to move to the next lesson? at a certain speed? is there a chance (now that i understand) that the 1st excercise may seem easy, and maybe i should start with a furhter lesson, or should i just stick with lesson 1 and "reprogram" my left brain??1?!? thanks for ur help again

• Members

Originally posted by jdiesel77

thanks very much...i know i am suppsoed to go through each excercise at various speeds, but at what point would u think it makes sense to move to the next lesson? at a certain speed? is there a chance (now that i understand) that the 1st excercise may seem easy, and maybe i should start with a furhter lesson, or should i just stick with lesson 1 and "reprogram" my left brain??1?!? thanks for ur help again

Start slow, build up speed as far as you want OR as far as you can, and then move on. You can (and should) always come back to review. Getting comfortable, to the point of being able to play without any undue stress, is far more important than how fast you can go. :)

The whole 'speed' series is designed in a completely different manner than other velocity-enhancing programs, so don't expect any instant gratification...eventually, things will start to 'click', and you'll wonder how and when the hell that happened. :D

Archived