Learn and Master Guitar DVD

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Listen. Of all the great guitarists out there who made it big time, how many of them said that their success was because of a master guitar dvd system that they bought for 3 easy payments of $99.99 and instantly became a guitar god after following an EASY well STRUCTURED guitar METHOD. You dumb Americans really will buy anything. {censored}. These people are looking to make money. They don't give a {censored} about your guitar ability. THEY ARE TRYING TO MAKE MONEY. If this successful product worked for them, why are they still {censored}ing around in their bedroom and how come we have never heard of any of them. All the stuff he offers is available for free anyways. It's all over the internet. If you buy this you have "sucker" written on your forhead.

• Members

Jack,

I tend to agree with red's assessment, except for the dumb americans thing. I see these expensive courses by unknown teachers all over the internet (including the guy with the supposedly unbiased guitar course rating website, who rates his own product the highest). Dont' get scammed.

The good news is that publishers such as Mel Bay, Hal Leonard and others have outstanding guitar learning materials, and the prices are very reasonable. The trouble for most guitar players is that very few stores carry more than a small fraction of what's available, and the online stores don't put any effort into making the products findable. That's why I started my own guitar instruction store, and made an extensive effort at creating easy to browse bins targeted on the specific things guitar players want to learn. I don't know it is you want to work on, but you mentioned practice tracks. Most practice track book/CDs sets are about $12 and come in all music styles. Check out Practice Tracks here. For general guitar learning check out Guitar Methods , and choose DVDs if that's all you want to see.

Good luck - let me know if you can't find something.

Jeff

• Members

Originally posted by Jack Shaftoe

Anybody ever hear of this DVD lesson pack?

Seems kind of expensive but maybe a good investment with all the backing tracks.

Thanks.

It doesn't have a thorough description regarding its contents, so I don't know whether it is a good investment. The Deluxe version is $199 according to the website until August 20, by the way. It's not something I would buy, though.

Another option if you want DVDs and backing tracks is http://www.greenmonstermusic.com/

Months ago Overstock had those relatively cheap, around $16 each.

• Members

Thanks for the replies... mostly.

RD, I stand corrected. Here in the states, where the dumb Americans waste their money on such things as DVD tutorials and tooth paste vs. ill fitting plaid polyester slacks and Speedos, the vast majority of guitar instructors providing lessons are not in fact "famous" but can in fact help you become "better".

We should hit your Swiss studios so we could receive private instruction by all the "famous" guitarists offering lessons to those attempting to improve their skills, whom we don't have access to currently in the states.

I simply had not heard of the DVD's, have used other DVD's for certain content with success and was curious if anybody else was familiar with them. Apparently you are not. Thanks for the reply you piece of "work".

• Members

The problems with a huge package like this, as I see it, would be that 1) if it sucks you're probably stuck with it, and 2) even if it's ok, how far does it take you? You say you already play, so what if it starts with "name the strings" simplicity, and moves at a slow pace, so that half of the material is useless to you?

I just bought a backing tracks CD over the weekend for $10 called "Lets Jam!". They have various styles available, and I got a blues/rock one, that I'm actually very pleased with - good variety, and I'd say all but maybe 2 of the 16 tracks are things I'd actually use.

As for instruction books/DVDs - just be patient, decide what you want to learn, and narrow down your choices that way. Personally, I really like books with a CD better than just a DVD because books usually cover more material, in my experience.

• Members

Thanks for the replies... mostly.

RD, I stand corrected. Here in the states, where the dumb Americans waste their money on such things as DVD tutorials and tooth paste vs. ill fitting plaid polyester slacks and Speedos, the vast majority of guitar instructors providing lessons are not in fact "famous" but can in fact help you become "better".

We should hit your Swiss studios so we could receive private instruction by all the "famous" guitarists offering lessons to those attempting to improve their skills, whom we don't have access to currently in the states.

I simply had not heard of the DVD's, have used other DVD's for certain content with success and was curious if anybody else was familiar with them. Apparently you are not. Thanks for the reply you piece of "work".

Oxyclean! Set it and forget it! If you want to learn guitar so bad take private lessons. It's that simple.

• Members

Dear Red Dragon, If I wanted advice on how to improve my playing I would specifically ask-- if you noticed, I asked if anyone was familiar with a product; much as if I had asked if anyone was familiar with Massingill.

Now, go set a clock or get me some chocolate and make yourself useful.

• Members

Several months ago I inquired about this product and asked for a sample page . I received a response that said NO WAY would I be provided with a sample page and I if I had any doubts about the quality of the DVDs I should check out the positive comments that that other customers made.

I was very put off by the arrogance of the response and decided spend my money elsewhere. There was no way that I was going to spend that kind of money without seeing what I was getting.

• Members

Dear Red Dragon, If I wanted advice on how to improve my playing I would specifically ask-- if you noticed, I asked if anyone was familiar with a product; much as if I had asked if anyone was familiar with Massingill.

Now, go set a clock or get me some chocolate and make yourself useful.

Dear Mr. Jack,

AHHAHAH!!! New members sure are cocky. :cool:

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Originally posted by raige

i just want to knmow if its a scam or not, has anyone seen any proof?

Well, I doubt it's a "scam", per se, but it's expensive and there's no way of knowing the quality or extent of the content.

If you already play a bit, there's going to be some chunk of the material that you've already progressed beyond, so how big is that chunk? 10 DVDs sounds great, but how long is each one?

The danger with such a large package is that you could be stuck with a whole lot of mediocre content. The screenshots look nice, though. *shrug*

• Members

This set of DVD lessons is (in my humble opinion) NOT a scam as has been suggested by some.

I have seen TWO very good guitar teaching systems and this is one of them. If you put in the work that goes with this system, you will improve. You could sit down and do it on your own, but this is a SYSTEM of organized learning. Gives great structured instruction and the back up JAMS are great to help you feel you are making progress by playing along with the band.

The other, what I think quality instruction available online is the JAMORAMA program.

This program is considerably less $$$ ( I think it is under $50) and has great organization, practice and jams with the band.

The Jamorama, at the lower price is available for complete download and you have to do the lessons IN FRONT OF YOUR COMPUTER. If that's a bummer, then to order the hard copy is more $$$.

If you need some structured instructions, both these are among the best programs and I would strongly suggest you give them a try-- they both claim $$$ back if not satisfied. If you used a credit card and dispute resolution, that would offer protection too.

Good luck and PRACTICE, practice, practice!

• 3 months later...
  • Members

All of you have great advice but no one has the dvds..

this is what it looks like master-guitar.jpg

And guess what? Is really good, excellent quality DVD lessons. someone mentioned guitar method? Anyone that has guitar method probably could find ways in which it could be better. L&MG is 100 times better than GM believe me; i know.

Now for all the other people who think we are suckers..here is the deal

I work and have a home business i have no time to take lessons so i worked out a schedule where i use the L&MG DVDs, follow the recommended lesson practice times..2-4 weeks per lesson and once a month( month and a half) i go to a guitar teacher to practice...

If you want my advice here it is..If you can go to a teacher on a regular basis and can learn on your own by practicing 1-2 hours a day don't by this, if you are thinking of buying or paying for any guitar lesson online, or dvd or cd rom don't do it, just by L&m guitar is The best quality i have seen and i have seen a lot of them!

• Members

this is what it looks like master-guitar.jpg

And guess what? Is really good, excellent quality DVD lessons. someone mentioned guitar method? Anyone that has guitar method probably could find ways in which it could be better. L&MG is 100 times better than GM believe me; i know.

I work and have a home business i have no time to take lessons so i worked out a schedule where i use the L&MG DVDs, follow the recommended lesson practice times..2-4 weeks per lesson and once a month( month and a half) i go to a guitar teacher to practice...

If you want my advice here it is..If you can go to a teacher on a regular basis and can learn on your own by practicing 1-2 hours a day don't by this, if you are thinking of buying or paying for any guitar lesson online, or dvd or cd rom don't do it, just by L&m guitar is The best quality i have seen and i have seen a lot of them!

• Members

Thanks for pointing us to the picture in the first link.

If you click on it, it will even give you a close up. ;)

Anybody can click on the link posted by Jack Shaftoe and look at the picture, as well as read the provided information regarding the DVDs.

And with the wonders of technology, one can also click on the link to guitar methods posted above. Feel free to do it. It seems that you have no idea about what it is you

• Members

Originally posted by andresc

this is what it looks like
master-guitar.jpg

So, um.....you wouldn't uh....y'know, um......... work for them, would you?

• Members

Originally posted by Iamtheblues

So, um.....you wouldn't uh....y'know, um......... work for them, would you?

Not necessarily, although based on the low number of posts it is certainly a thought.

Another perspective could be as follows:

If you spent $200 on this, wouldn

• Members

After years of playing and weekly 30minute lessons and stagnation, my playing has imporved at least 100% since using DVD's. My favorite series is Lick Library. I get them through ebay because this UK based company is not permitted to distribute some of their products directly to the U.S.. They are expensive but the quality of the instruction, production, inclusion of backing tracks, and accuracy is exceptional.

• Members

Well, I'm one of those dumb Americans that purchased this set. However, I am starting from scratch when it comes to learning how to play guitar. I've progressed, so far, to Session 4 (DVD #2) which has taught me correct playing position, several finger exercises, and all of the notes (including flats/sharps and music notation) in the first position.

The DVD's are VERY well produced. And while their "time is running out... buy now!" marketing scheme is questionable at best, I'm quite happy with the product. Steve Krenz, the instructor, does a good job explaining concepts. He's also constantly on the "members only" discussion forum answering questions and submitting additional practice material. My impression is that this guy is actually interested in helping people learn to play guitar. Of course he's in it to make money too, but so far he doesn't appear to just be a "take the money and run" kind of guy.

The lessons, so far, are very well laid out. Each lesson has an intro/explanation, drills, and then a workshop in which you repeatedly go over the practice materials in the book.

The one complaint I have about this system is the amount of practice music is rather skimpy. I purchased a copy of the "Beginning Guitar Superbook" to supplement the practice music. This has helped out a lot.

This product is expensive, and it probably is overpriced. But considering how well put together the DVDs are, and the cost of producing something of this caliber, the cost really isn't that far out of line. It's also not suited to someone who's more advanced on the guitar. If you're an intermediate or advanced player, then you'll skip past a majority of the system to get to something that halfway challenges you.

Of course you should take my opinion with a grain of salt. I got this course about a month ago, and I've learned a great deal. However I'm a rank amateur, so I'm someone who didn't know diddly about playing guitar. I figured this was a better deal than the 3 months of private lessons the same $199 would have got me. I recently took a month of private lessons and learned a few power cords, couple of cord progressions, and a few notes on the low E and A strings. At this rate, it would cost me thousands to learn how to play anything worthwhile.

Archived