Learn and Master Guitar DVD

• Members

I would like to post my opinion on this...

If you buy something that has fake review sites attached to it, it's gonna be a scam.

If you can't get any content for free, just empty promises and fake people saying it's the best then maybe it's best to not go for it...

I do however think the learn and master the guitar DVD has done some seriously clever marketing, a lot of people have bought this BS!

Personally I took the good karma route which means that you can get 90% of the content for free, sign up for free and see what other real users say about my products that i charge for.

This approach has made me extremely poor but at least i sleep well at night and my site is steadily growing on word by mouth only.

I do think the internet in general will have to be approached in this way in a very near future, you have to give a lot before anything comes back to you...

If you think I sound a little bit bitter it's because the fake review sites attached to the master the guitar series is slating my site, I hope, mainly to avoid real competition
:facepalm:

After all, they do recommend jamorama as well, possibly the most pointless instruction site around...

-dan

Dan, let me say officially I love your approach and refer your site as often as I can. Spytunes is a great resource and it is commendable the path you have taken with it. I believe you will do well with it as time move on.

For me the crux of it is this. There are very few quality step by step courses available. L&MG is a fine product because the teaching is solid and it is well thought out.

Internet marketing is a total mess and really in it's infancy. Most of these companies are just starting to understand how the web actually works. There are mistakes being made along the way no question. There is so much stuff that looks shady (and a lot that is!) - I dont know why Legacy would take that approach, it is a shame really. I support anyone's issue about throwing them your dough.

Times have changed, 20 years ago the only way to learn was on your own and/or with a teacher. There was very little information out there so the path the progress was fairly clear. These days there is SOOOO MUCH information out there that I think many young players have option anxiety. So there is a need to gather and assemble all these lesson ideas. Put them in order, and present them to the people in a progressive manner.

Spytunes is great - because you have done this. Dan you should put your own DVD's out using the material you have already developed (if you havent already) and sell that as well. I love your throw money into the hat approach as I think anyone who is serious and a regular user will eventually donate.

At the end of the day people just want to learn how to play, with quality instruction and do so at their convenience. Any product that does that is quality IMO - regardless of the marketing.

There is room for many of these products on the market as many players will buy many of them. I own L&MG (bought it primarily for my kids to supplement their lessons) and that would not prevent me from buying another course to prevent them from getting bored.

Cheers all

Jeremy

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

jeremy, good points!

the internet really has just been born and all ready it kind of kicks all other forms of tuition's ass, price, accessibility and the communication is far superior even the real worlds alternatives such as private teachers and music colleges.

I guess the law of the jungle that comes with it just annoys me a bit...

-d

• Members

One of the reasons for all the links to L&M is to keep them "on top" on the Google search engine. The more hits you have, the more "points" you score with Google and that means when someone is searching for a guitar course, or anything else, for that matter, people will only search the first couple of pages. If you site is on the 3rd Google page, most people won't even bother to look that far. It may seem hokey to some, but L&M have done their homework and want to make sure they get a return on the money they have invested in their product, which is the best of its kind in my opinion.

• Members

Well, yes, but the way in which you get all those links is either "good" or "bad".

Populating the web with sites created by suckers who think they will get some money by referring customers to you, just so that you get your page ranking up, is pretty underhanded IMHO. Google rankings are based on the idea that people will link to sites they like. 9 out of 10 sites linking to commercial guitar lessons sites are linking not because they like the site, but because they want money from the click throughs.

GaJ

• Members

Well, yes, but the way in which you get all those links is either "good" or "bad".

Populating the web with sites created by suckers who think they will get some money by referring customers to you, just so that you get your page ranking up, is pretty underhanded IMHO. Google rankings are based on the idea that people will link to sites they like. 9 out of 10 sites linking to commercial guitar lessons sites are linking not because they like the site, but because they want money from the click throughs.

GaJ

That's a point I never thought of.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Members

I've been looking at this too. $150 is a lot of money for me but at lot less than a few lessons, and it can be done in your own time. I'm tempted. If anyone's interested there are some lessons from this package on the Gibson website so you can at least judge for yourself the quality of the instruction, and they seem to rate it quite highly in their review.

• Members

I've been looking at this too. $150 is a lot of money for me but at lot less than a few lessons, and it can be done in your own time. I'm tempted. If anyone's interested there are some lessons from this package on the Gibson website so you can at least judge for yourself the quality of the instruction, and they seem to rate it quite highly in their review.

Dr. Z: Try eBay. You may be able to find it there for about $100.00 and usually in new condition.

• Members

I'll confess I'm a bit suspicious of how this thread is always being resurrected from nowhere......

I've looked at L&M guitar, and whilst its perfectly solid it's nothing special. How they make any money out of it when it's all available on bittorrent and there are stacks of better lessons on youtube I'll never know.

I'd save your money and use youtube.

T

Sorry to quote myself, but isn't it funny how this thread keeps getting ressurected? ... and as a user's first post. Funny how they dug it up from nowhere....

Do you really trust a product marketed in such a crude and sly way? It's nothing special. Certainly not worth 100.

It's all available for free on Bitorrent so I can't see how they make any money.

• Members

At first I thought, "nah, it's not suspicious, it's a highly publicised product, not suprising we have a thread asking about it".

But actually, when you look at the "1 post people" who resurect it using verbige that matches the sales pitch .... yeah, I have to agree.

GaJ

• Members

I already posted my opinion in the for what it's worth dept above.

It was a good course and some good material, well prepared, but in the end I returned the product. To their credit, the company credited my Visa account the full refund price within 10 days and with no questions asked.
Can't argue with service that...try it, what have you got to lose? Might even learn a little...or a LOT!

• 3 months later...
  • Members

Thought I would resurrect this old thread to provide continuity. I'm in my mid-50's and took up the guitar 2 1/2 years ago. I've been messing around with one book or DVD or another and have made some decent progress, having learned a lot of chords, strumming, and a little fingerstyle. For over a year I have been intrigued by the prospect of the Learn & Master Guitar material but was really put off because of the over-the-top all-over-the-place reviews and the constant sale-about-to-end-that-never-ends marketing.

However, I read a few positive posts from long-time members at AGF and discovered that I could buy a previously-viewed package (expanded edition returned under the money-back guarantee) for $99 plus shipping. I ordered and have been very pleased with the course. The course is no silver bullet. It requires a lot of practice. Still, for someone whose skills are quite poor, I've found it to be a huge aid. Does it beat a personal teacher? I doubt it, but finding a good teacher and then affording that teacher may not be feasible.

Bill

• Members

I have no affiliation with anyone on the planet, beyond the four walls we call home....................

I've seen Learn and Master Guitar, and don't see anything wrong with it for the asking price.

It would be a pleasant way for a total beginner to get started - the video is well-filmed, with Steve surrounded by cosy night-light candles. He starts you off at rock-bottom-basic level, and takes you steadily through the things you need to know ..........this is what many hobbyists want when they start trying to play.

I'd say the emphasis is put on being talked through things, rather than just shown. The material is structured, and is thus a fair substitute for a personal teacher.

Having said that, this course has no "attitude". It is not "exciting". There's just Steve Kranz, guy-next-door, wishing you well, and helping you along. Basically, delivering what the marketing tells you you'll get.

I wouldn't mind if he lived next door to me.

PS edited in........our own meganutt7 is currently doing some teaching vids here......he packs more in the way of excitement, somehow.............then there's the outrageously philanthropical gennation.........Mark Wein continues with his fine input.........and others too numerous to mention (dull cliche!) regularly help us along...................

I reckon LaMG is a reasonable start point, to give a novice a foothold (or fingerhold?) by way of a basic routine. Hanging out here is then all one needs to work out the more interesting aspects of guitar.

This forum is loaded!

Afterthought.......I teach English as a foreign language, but no longer take on absolute beginners................"John has a black dog"............."John's dog is black", and so on.

Have you any idea just how difficult it is to do this? Minute after minute, feeling your brain cells disintegrate one by one? For a whole hour?

Spare a thought for poor Mr Kranz..............and perhaps respect his patience. Well, perhaps not his patience, more his steadfast determination to keep the student within the boundaries of the current learning curve.

To do this is more difficult than you might think.

I know he's out to make some money..................nevertheless, he comes across as being sincere.

• Members

Thought I would resurrect this old thread to provide continuity. I'm in my mid-50's and took up the guitar 2 1/2 years ago. I've been messing around with one book or DVD or another and have made some decent progress, having learned a lot of chords, strumming, and a little fingerstyle. For over a year I have been intrigued by the prospect of the Learn & Master Guitar material but was really put off because of the over-the-top all-over-the-place reviews and the constant sale-about-to-end-that-never-ends marketing.

However, I read a few positive posts from long-time members at AGF and discovered that I could buy
(expanded edition returned under the money-back guarantee) for $99 plus shipping. I ordered and have been very pleased with the course. The course is no silver bullet. It requires a lot of practice. Still, for someone whose skills are quite poor, I've found it to be a huge aid. Does it beat a personal teacher? I doubt it, but finding a good teacher and then affording that teacher may not be feasible.

Bill

I didn't realize you could get the previously viewed for $99.00. That's a very good deal; about the price of 4 or 5 private 1/2 hour lessons. Thanks, Flip.

• Members

I didn't realize you could get the previously viewed for $99.00. That's a very good deal; about the price of 4 or 5 private 1/2 hour lessons. Thanks, Flip.

I stumbled over the previously viewed offer while I was searching all over the internet. Mine looked new without the cellophane. It's usually more than that on eBay. Even if I could find an instructor who taught what I wanted and could afford him or her, I figured, like you, that 5 lessons would be about the same amount of money.

I'm about as cynical as they come, but I'm sold on the L&MG course. It's a solid, well done course and requires a lot of work, and will provide a solid foundation.

Bill

• Members

In a nutshell for me:

- excellent product

- Overly aggressive marketing strategy

I bought it for the kids and would recommend it to any beginner-intermediate player.

Their marketing strategy kept me away from it for at least a year. It was something I had to overcome because it made the product appear to be a sham.

Bill

• Members

I have bought DVD for learning guitar from a site of best online guitar lessons and it seems I got worth of money I spent on it.

The trusting part of me wants to welcome you to Harmony Central, Guitarguy, and the cynical part of me wonders if you have any relationship with the site you linked and are using this thread to build up business. After all, it's your first post and and the purpose appears to be to link a site that makes a commission off the program being discussed. If not, please accept my apology.

The Green Guitar Guy site is one of the types of sites that kept me away from Learn & Master Guitar. The reviews of all the various products are positive from what I saw, with some being more positive than others, more infomercial than legitimate reviews.

If someone wants a good price, forget the internet "associates" and order a "previously-viewed" course for $99 directly from Legacy. Mine was like new, as I said above, just lacking the cellophane.

And, as I'm sure has been stated in this thread, no one will "master" the guitar through this course. If a beginner will take a couple of years and diligently go through the program, he or she will have a great foundation to build upon, a lot of knowledge and skills that many guitar players never learn. There is nothing quick and easy about it, and a lot of folks buy it impulsively through internet infomercial sites, realize that it's more work than they want, and let it gather dust. Or, they return it within the 30-day return period and others get to buy it for $99. ;)

Edit: I see your link has been edited out, so I kicked it out of my quote. Looks like I'm not the only suspicious one around here. :)

Bill

• Members

It is always suspicious that this thread keeps popping back up

It can be. I almost didn't post to this thread but it seemed proper since it seemed to be the primary ongoing thread about L&MG and I had been so cynical about it in the past. But I particularly dislike the marketing of it and folks joining forums to push their sites to profit off of it.

Bill

• 10 months later...
  • Members

Oh look, this thread is bumped again! I think this thread lacks actual reviews, and since I am a newbie guitarist and have personal experience with this course, I'm going to chime in (hopefully with enough time on this site to make it believable). That said, I'm going to echo much of what has been posted above.

I think they've really done themselves a disservice by selling the course the way they do. In any case, the marketing strategy is irrelevant once you have the product. Fortunately, the product is pretty good. One of the big issues for a noob player is the overwhelming amount of information available online, and this course has good structure which is what you really need to effectively learn. I've been noodling around with a guitar for about six years now, on and off, and a lack of structured learning has really been a hindrance. I find the course very useful in keeping me focused, although at this point I'm still just on my first DVD. However, I've already learned to sight read a bit of standard music notation because the way it was presented is not intimidating. As it turns out, it ain't that difficult. Krenz is not exactly a "dynamic" presence on the video (what is up with the candles??), but I'd rather have a laid-back guy than a guitar teacher version of the Sham-Wow! guy. Krenz presents the material well and is a good player. Obviously, you're never going to replace the ability to interact with a live teacher with a DVD course, but finding a GOOD teacher isn't any less difficult than finding a good DVD/online course. As has been noted, the music that the course teaches you to play, as is often the case, is only stuff that is in the public domain, so I would highly recommend supplementing the course materials with songs you actually want to learn to play (then again, I happen to like "Ode to Joy" and my kids love "Jingle Bells"). Obviously, at this point I cannot give an opinion as to how useful this course would be for an intermediate guitarist.

As an aside, if you really cannot stomach giving money to these people, the antithesis is a course by Justin Sundercoe at justinguitar.com. It is also a comprehensive course for beginning guitarists, but the entire thing is available online for free, and he simply asks that you donate if you find it useful. He also sells the DVD's of his course for about $50, I think. He is a damn good teacher IMHO and has good lesson structure as well. I'm definitely going to utilize at least some of his techniques in conjunction with the LM&G course. The one thing that I think (not positive, since I have not gone through his course) is missing from his lessons that you have with LM&G is the teaching of standard music notation. It is not something that I ever planned to learn as a part of learning guitar, but now that I see it is not as difficult as I thought it was going to be, I see no reason not to learn it.

So there. Two reviews for the price of one and hopefully will be of use to someone starting out.

Archived