Learn and Master Guitar DVD

• Members

Thanks Phish, I've been looking all over for a "real person" opinion on the product in question. A lot of the reviews out there sound the same and compare the same 5 products, usually the top 2 of which are published by the same company. Something a tad shady going on there, especially since they all link to the product website and on the product website they offer affiliate commissions for sales...

Anyways I was in the same boat as you thinking that $199 was equivalent to hardly any time at all with a qualified teacher, so it might be worth acquiring the DvDs. Other than being able to play about a dozen chords and a few scales proficiently I'm a guitar newb, and it sounds like this is a good product for somebody like me.

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Originally posted by Sylv

Thanks Phish, I've been looking all over for a "real person" opinion on the product in question. A lot of the reviews out there sound the same and compare the same 5 products, usually the top 2 of which are published by the same company. Something a tad shady going on there, especially since they all link to the product website and on the product website they offer affiliate commissions for sales...

Anyways I was in the same boat as you thinking that $199 was equivalent to hardly any time at all with a qualified teacher, so it might be worth acquiring the DvDs. Other than being able to play about a dozen chords and a few scales proficiently I'm a guitar newb, and it sounds like this is a good product for somebody like me.

You're welcome.. Glad I could help. I was in the same boat as you, looking all over for helpful reviews of this product. One thing I highly recommend is to buy your copy by clicking through this site: http://guitars.briefnotes.net/learn-master-guitar-best-deal/

If you send this guy your receipt for L&M Guitar (if you buy by clicking through his site), he'll also subscribe you, for free, to the Jamorama course. It's what I did, and he responded with a registration code within a couple of hours. Certainly made the $200 a bit more palatable. So far the L&M course is heads and shoulders above Jamorama, but I'm not going to pass up on the #2 rated course for free.

Good luck!

• Members

Why not you and a bunch of guitar playing mates put money together and buy it but only buy one copy and burn the rest of them for your friends. That way at least if its crap u only lose a quarter or a fifth or whatever of the price and you ripped them off a bit in the process. Plus I'm sure you could sell the original for a little back ;)

• Members
Originally posted by Dimebag666

Why not you and a bunch of guitar playing mates put money together and buy it but only buy one copy and burn the rest of them for your friends. That way at least if its crap u only lose a quarter or a fifth or whatever of the price and you ripped them off a bit in the process. Plus I'm sure you could sell the original for a little back
;)

Genius

• Members

Well, I've got the DVDs. Like the other poster said, really good quality. The material in the first sessions is very basic, but necessary. I've been hacking around the guitar for years but never really knew what I was doing. I'm only on session 8, but I can now read music, understand timing / rhythm, and major scales in all keys. I know it doesn't sound like much, but it's what I am looking for. I lack a solid foundation to build upon, so these DVDs are giving me that. I've looked ahead to the other sessions, and it seems fairly advanced. Well, at least enough to occupy myself for a year (like they say). I'm hoping the course will give me the skills / confidence to pick up more advanced material when the time comes. Pretty happy with the purchase. I've got to admit, when I opened the package and just looked at the lesson book, I was a bit disappointed because all of the sheet music I saw looked really basic, even in the later sessions. But quickly realized that its in the concepts and the practice exercises that you're supposed to do 'over top' of the sheet music where the value will be realized. Anyway, my 2 cents

• Members

yep, I'm new to this forum and probably will only post on this one subject. I was searching for what other people were saying about the DVDs out of curiousity and found this forum. Think what you want. I'm not 'praising' the DVDs, just saying what I think of them in case someone else is looking at getting them. Before I ordered, I could only find 'infomercial' type stuff on the DVDs, so was obviously completely suspect. But now that I have them, I think they're good. Don't have anything else to compare it to, other than a handful of lessons from other teachers. The biggest thing I am looking for is a well laid-out plan / approach to learning guitar. I know I could find this stuff on the net no problem, but I wouldn't know how to organize it or have the patience to follow 'my own' program (because I've tried with no success). The instruction so far is good, and although it starts out super basic, the lessons i'm on now are packing a lot of concepts... there's 20 lessons in total. Steve Krenz (the instructor) is likeable and offers a lot of encouragement, which I find helpful early on given the cheeseball tunes you learn (ode to joy, the bannana song, jamaica farewell, etc)

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

I've been thinking about getting this since the summer, but a few things that other's have also mentioned made me suspicous, where all the product review sites list the same 5 products in the exact order and list the same points about the DVD, as well as the fact as when I post on message boards about it, invariably people sign up simply to post about the product, and spout off the same info as product review sites.

It's good to finally hear some real reviews. I'm still not sure if I should get it or not. I've been going through the first Volume of Levitt's a Modern Method, which has been very slow, but has helped me tons. It's truly a long term investment which I'm starting to see pay off over 6 months into it. I've also read through Fretboard Logic, which has helped me to understand scales and chords which I never could before, and I've taken 4 months of guitar lessons. I've been playing for about 6 years and was tempted to buy this set since my playing had stalled for a long time, but these books have helped me a lot so far.

I'm wondering, as an intermediate player, would you recommend getting the course? Does it actually take you to an advanced level of playing?

The material I'm going through now is good, but it still feels like I'm hunting and pecking around for information, and would like something that's more comprehensive. I feel that Modern Method might be once I finish all three volumes, but that will be years from now and I'd like something else to supplement my studies.

• Members
Originally posted by Dimebag666

Why not you and a bunch of guitar playing mates put money together and buy it but only buy one copy and burn the rest of them for your friends. That way at least if its crap u only lose a quarter or a fifth or whatever of the price and you ripped them off a bit in the process. Plus I'm sure you could sell the original for a little back
;)

Yeah, I've been looking for a ripped version of this on the net since there aren't any sample lessons on their site. But still no luck.

• Members

Originally posted by piesore

I'm wondering, as an intermediate player, would you recommend getting the course? Does it actually take you to an advanced level of playing?

The material I'm going through now is good, but it still feels like I'm hunting and pecking around for information, and would like something that's more comprehensive. I feel that Modern Method might be once I finish all three volumes, but that will be years from now and I'd like something else to supplement my studies.

Give me about another 6 months and I'll be able to better evaluate the more advanced portions of this program. I must say, however, in the month I've been using this course, I've learned a lot more than I've ever been able to in either self teaching or "true" lessons before getting frustrated and giving up. The program promises advanced techniques, but how in-depth they get is beyond me at this point.

Sorry I couldn't be more helpful.

• Members

I'm about 2 months in, just started session 10. I can begin to see that the course is starting to pack a lot of material into each lesson. Not sure about the advanced lessons yet, and how much content is in them. I imagine it's going to take me longer and longer to progress through each session (for example, session 11 recommends 4 weeks to get through). The earlier sessions were rather easy, but contained some key foundational content that I was definitely missing from my bag of tricks. I think after completing this course, I'll have enough of a base to start branching out to more advanced or specialized areas (jazz, blues, etc). Still no complaints about the course, but check with me in a few months. I should be much further along

• Members

Was at my bro-in-law's house a few days ago and in casual conversation with his neighbor who had dropped by learned that he had just bought a guitar and L&MG. I was curious so he brought it over. Unfortunately we never got around to watching the DVD, my bro-in-law was caught up in the football game, but I did glance thru the booklet and I was not impressed - as other people have mentioned, it seemed pretty basic.

(It turns out the guy also went out and bought a top of the line Martin, despite having played very little before... money is no object I guess ;)

• Members

Yeah, just looking at the book, you'll be very disappointed. I was when I first opened the thing... I flipped all the way through to the final sessions and thought it was super basic. Not impressed. But after watching the DVD's and progressing through the sessions, it became clear that the content is all in the DVDs. The booklet is just to give you some exercises or reference info so that you can practice what is taught in the DVDs.

• Members

Ok i'LL bite on this thread. I'm one of those dumb ass americans that actually purchased the product. It has a 30 day return policy so I couldn't see any harm in giving it a shot. I bought it about 5 months ago and needless to say I haven't returned it and still use it every day. This instructor is NOT a nobody but an established studio musician as well as the guitarist for the Fifth Dimension.

There is a wealth of info in these DVDs and the advanced section really gets down to the nitty griddy. The instructor is also very communicable and a pleasure to listen to. Sometimes I'll just put on the DVD for inspiration alone. Also if I may add, I also dished out $180.00 US for the John McLaughlin DVD set. Of all the DVDs I own these 2 are my most treasured. The bonus is the 5 jam along CDs. Very proffesionaly produced, using nothing but studio musicians, and a blast to play along with.

I use both the John Mclaughlin instructional series and this one to further my musical knowledge. As far as instructional DVDs are concerned these 2 are all I need!

Not all DVDs are Scams. Most yes, but not all.

Gabriel

• Members

The point is you "master guitar" by learning from different people, not just one guy. It's a journey of meeting people and learning their styles and taking something from them and applying it to create your own style. One guy that nobody has heard of does not have all the answers. You're going to learn it one way and his way and so is everyone else. You'll all sound the same. You'll have that "Master Guitar DVD" sound.

Hey I have an idea. Let's pick a niche market such as guitar players. Guitar has never been as popular as it is today. Bazillions of guitar players. How can I create something that ever guitar player will want to buy and have. How about a DVD set that teaches you everything from beginner to advanced and then we can charge a huge price for it. Wow. Think of all the information on all of those DVD's. Everything I wanted to know about guitar right in front of me on DVD's. No more searching. I have found the treasure. Since my professional career was a flop, I'll have to teach. What better way to do so that the most indirect non-personal way possible. A DVD that brings all the information to the buyers home. When he doesn't want to learn anymore he can just shut the teacher up by pressing stop. Whatever happened to teaching that develops relationships. If someone really enjoyed teaching, they would find a small group of people that they could learn and grow with. What happened to spending quality time with people one on one. No {censored}ing technology. It's all about the money. It's all about the fast buck. Now. I want it now. It's all in front of me. I'll choose when. Now. No, not now. Later. Now.

{censored}ing Dumb Americans. They'll buy anything. :freak:

• Members

The point is you "master guitar" by learning from different people, not just one guy. It's a journey of meeting people and learning their styles and taking something from them and applying it to create your own style. One guy that nobody has heard of does not have all the answers. You're going to learn it one way and his way and so is everyone else. You'll all sound the same. You'll have that "Master Guitar DVD" sound.

Hey I have an idea. Let's pick a niche market such as guitar players. Guitar has never been as popular as it is today. Bazillions of guitar players. How can I create something that ever guitar player will want to buy and have. How about a DVD set that teaches you everything from beginner to advanced and then we can charge a huge price for it. Wow. Think of all the information on all of those DVD's. Everything I wanted to know about guitar right in front of me on DVD's. No more searching. I have found the treasure. Since my professional career was a flop, I'll have to teach. What better way to do so that the most indirect non-personal way possible. A DVD that brings all the information to the buyers home. When he doesn't want to learn anymore he can just shut the teacher up by pressing stop. Whatever happened to teaching that develops relationships. If someone really enjoyed teaching, they would find a small group of people that they could learn and grow with. What happened to spending quality time with people one on one. No {censored}ing technology. It's all about the money. It's all about the fast buck. Now. I want it now. It's all in front of me. I'll choose when. Now. No, not now. Later. Now.

{censored}ing Dumb Americans. They'll buy anything.
:freak:

No offence RD, I normally find your comments very imformative, but really ... this is one ... discursive, loutish post (bad weekend?)...... ;)

• Members

No offence RD, I normally find your comments very imformative but really, this is one, completely uninformative STUPID post (bad weekend?)......
;)

Glad I have a fan. If I had t-shirts, you'd buy one.

No offence Dawn, but my comment was directed towards you. ;)

Super weekend. :cool:

• Members
Yeah. That's what I thought. Too tired and lazy of an American to think of something to try to outsmart me.
:freak:
Hit the practice room noob.

Quit your generalizations you {censored}ing twat. If you were really the master of the guitar that you really think you are, mr. dragon, you'd be out making platinum albums right now and earning grammy after grammy. Instead you waste your time calling people out on an internet forum for not being as good as you. Or simply calling them stupid for having grown up in a different culture than you (which is quite an irrational thing to do considering where you grow up is usually not in the hands of a person anyways).

So if you want to actually be productive with your posts, you should be a lot less hostile. Perhaps you should have pointed him in the direction of what books to buy. Perhaps you live in the same area as him and could recommend a good instructor that would get him going in the right direction. Hell, maybe you know a good video instructional that's 50 times better than what the actual post was about. But if all you want to do is troll here, then get a {censored}ing life and give us a goddamned break.

Finally, Red Dragon, grow up.

• Members

Listen. Of all the great guitarists out there who made it big time, how many of them said that their success was because of a master guitar dvd system that they bought for 3 easy payments of $99.99 and instantly became a guitar god after following an EASY well STRUCTURED guitar METHOD. You dumb Americans really will buy anything. {censored}. These people are looking to make money. They don't give a {censored} about your guitar ability. THEY ARE TRYING TO MAKE MONEY. If this successful product worked for them, why are they still {censored}ing around in their bedroom and how come we have never heard of any of them. All the stuff he offers is available for free anyways. It's all over the internet. If you buy this you have "sucker" written on your forhead.

So how famous are you Red Dragon? We dumb Americans probably bailed you foreigners out of some conflict, or let you get into our country full of dumb americans. Maybe you should take your ass back to where you came from. The guy was just asking if anybody had reviewed the product. Not for your STUPID opinions on us "dumb americans" I think any way anybody chooses to learn or advance his playing on such an awesome instrument is well worth it. If you want to comb through all the SOMETIMES ok and sometimes you have to pay for sites on the internet and decide what you want to learn, while wasting your time looking for it, (instead of practicing) or buying a program that has it all in one spot ( and the site says from beginner to advanced) buy the one that has it all in one spot. If it was a waste of money, hey "live and learn". As for Red Foreigner, send us all a tickets when you do become famous. All us dumb americans will make sure to bring some "American Fries" to the show and chuck them at your ass.

Archived