What number do you keep you guitar volume knob on??

PRSnotPOS

• Members

When faking it 0

LOL. I wish more guys would do that. Like last night, I'm in an open jam, and for whatever reason we wind up playing something in Bb (I think it was the keyboard player's idea...) Anyway one guitarist was basically lost. At that point the polite thing to do (for the other musician's sake) would seem to be, at least to my way of thinking:

a) simplify it (just a few chords now and then)

b) drum it (i.e. just thunk muted strings, percussive-like)

c) fake it (as you say, volume = 0)

d) stop playing

but instead, he continues to noodle aimlessly around the neck.

Open jams can tend to easily become a wall of noise anyway, and that just made it that much worse.

• Members

I don't "keep" my volume knob on any particular number and I'm surprised to hear that anybody does.

I'm with you... I guess these guys change the volume on their amps, or else they're using footswitches. Funny... today I ran across this link for "Magic-6" volume settings for an amp, to get a classic Fender strat sound. I tried it on my little Fender Frontman amp and it did sound much better than the random settings I'd chosen. But then I use my Strat's guitar volume depending on what I'm playing and whether anyone's getting upset.

• Members
LOL. I wish more guys would do that. Like last night, I'm in an open jam, and for whatever reason we wind up playing something in Bb (I think it was the keyboard player's idea...) Anyway one guitarist was basically lost. At that point the polite thing to do (for the other musician's sake) would seem to be, at least to my way of thinking:

a) simplify it (just a few chords now and then)

b) drum it (i.e. just thunk muted strings, percussive-like)

c) fake it (as you say, volume = 0)

d) stop playing

but instead, he continues to noodle aimlessly around the neck.

Open jams can tend to easily become a wall of noise anyway, and that just made it that much worse.

I find that sometimes when I just sit in for a gig with another band they play something that I really don't know, or I just don't think I am needed. When this happens I play a little chord here and there, keep with the bass and drums or just turn my volume off and fake it like a champ!:cool:

Works for me.

Archived