Buzzing strings can't be avoided??

PRSnotPOS

• Members

Hey! How's it going guys?? I play a PRS Standard 24 (the one in my avatar) that came factory setup with 9-42 strings which I changed to D'Addario 10-46's. When I did this I got a lot of buzz from the low E string. Recently I've been wondering if a buzzing E string can affect my tone greatly or if I shouldn't worry about it. I was watching a guitar video of Devin Townsend and noticed that his strings were buzzing too but it wasn't affecting his tone. Just to clear things up it's not a buzz that's causing any weird noises or a buzz coming from a problem on the guitar (like a broken fret or something). I'm pretty sure it's from a combination of my aggressive style and higher gauge strings. Also, I've raised the action on my guitar and it has helped a little but I don't want to raise it anymore because then I becomes uncomfortable for me. Is it safe to assume that buzzing lower strings cant be avoided to a certain extent for an aggressive player?? Also should I maybe try buying 10's but put a 42 on for the low E string?? Tell me what you think. All shared previous experieces would be greatly appreciated! Thank you.

• Members

Maybe some of your frets are too high. Might have to call Big DT for the diamond cutter to cut down the tall frets.

Also, aggressive music does not always have to have aggressive attack. If your attack is too aggressive or hard, you are going to get string buzz no matter what.

• Members

As long as the buzz isn't excessive it shouldn't affect your tone through an amp. You'll only notice it when playing unplugged or at very low volumes. I think it's pretty normal for guitars with low action to buzz a bit when you play them aggressively, but if it's buzzing quite a bit even when playing softly that could be a problem. I'll be the first to admit that I'm no guitar tech, though.

• Members

Hey! How's it going guys?? I play a PRS Standard 24 (the one in my avatar) that came factory setup with 9-42 strings which I changed to D'Addario 10-46's. When I did this I got a lot of buzz from the low E string. Recently I've been wondering if a buzzing E string can affect my tone greatly or if I shouldn't worry about it. I was watching a guitar video of Devin Townsend and noticed that his strings were buzzing too but it wasn't affecting his tone. Just to clear things up it's not a buzz that's causing any weird noises or a buzz coming from a problem on the guitar (like a broken fret or something). I'm pretty sure it's from a combination of my aggressive style and higher gauge strings. Also, I've raised the action on my guitar and it has helped a little but I don't want to raise it anymore because then I becomes uncomfortable for me. Is it safe to assume that buzzing lower strings cant be avoided to a certain extent for an aggressive player?? Also should I maybe try buying 10's but put a 42 on for the low E string?? Tell me what you think. All shared previous experieces would be greatly appreciated! Thank you.

Did you adjust the trussrod? If anything higher gauge strings buzz less in my experience. I'd guess that the higher tension has caused increased neck bow and that is causing the problem, particularly if the problem only appeared when you upped the string gauge.

Try tightening the truss rod a 1/4 turn... NB whatever you do, DO NOT force the truss rod if it doesn't want to turn, you may strip the thread or break the rod and that'll be an expensive repair.

• Members

Is the buzzing present on all frets? Only some frets? Only when playing the string open?

Buzzing isn't something you have to live with, but if you want very low action and no buzzing, it takes a fret-levelling or a new guitar with very high quality fretwork.

Changing to higher gauge strings without adjusting the truss rod would usually give the neck more relief; maybe it has too much relief now?

Or the new E-string is so thick that it causes a problem where it enters the nut or bridge? Try to locate where the buzz comes from.

• Members

You might invest in some time (or money) learning how (or paying someone) to set up your guitar properly. Changing string gauge or tuning, changing seasons (temperature, humidity, etc) can all affect your guitar's playability.

I'm at work, so I can't dig out the links right now.

J.

• Members

If the open string is buzzing, then the nut slot is too low. You might need to get a new nut.

You could also try using Elixir strings. The coating makes the string sit higher in the nut. But some people don't like the the tone.

• Members

It happens mostly when I'm playing the string open. There isn't as much buzz if any when I'm fretting the string. I've leveled the neck with the truss rod but the buzzing still exhists. If I turn it any more it will create a forward bow.

If it's just the low E I wouldn't worry about it. The string vibrates widely when it's struck open.

Mine does the same thing.

• Members

I HATE FRET BUZZING!!!

My last guitar buzzed (also on the low E string) and it drove me so crazy that I almost lost interest in electric guitars. Stupid, I know. It wouldn't be until about 10 years later, now, that I'm looking into giving electrics another chance. After being turned off by fret buzzing, I mostly played acoustic over the last several years. I want to learn how to set up electrics on my own. I even had a pro do it twice on my last guitar and it still buzzed. That is one fear I have about buying a guitar online: who knows if it will buzz or not? At least when you try it in the store, you know what you're getting.

Archived