Key for soloing over this progression

• Members

I am trying to write a solo over the following progression:

Em D C B 2X (w/ e pedal tone throughout.)

C5 Cb5 B5 E5 2x (that is a c with a flat 5th, does it have a name? )

I have started using an e minor pent/ natural over the first part, but that gets boring over the second part. any ideas ?

• Members

...how about switching to E harmonic minor for the second part?. Sounds cool when I just tried it :) scale diagram in one position below in case you don't know it..

|----------------------------------------11-12----|
|----------------------------------12-13----------|
|-------------------------11-12-14----------------|
|-------------------13-14-------------------------|
|----------12-14-15-------------------------------|
|-12-14-15----------------------------------------|

..if the Cb5 chord you're playing is just the notes C and F#, the Cb5 sounds like the right name to me..

• Members
...how about switching to E harmonic minor for the second part?. Sounds cool when I just tried it
:)
scale diagram in one position below in case you don't know it..

|----------------------------------------11-12----|

|----------------------------------12-13----------|

|-------------------------11-12-14----------------|

|-------------------13-14-------------------------|

|----------12-14-15-------------------------------|

|-12-14-15----------------------------------------|

..if the Cb5 chord you're playing is just the notes C and F#, the Cb5 sounds like the right name to me..

Thanks; I'll give it a try.

• Members

wow. no kidding. back in the day when I used to try to play math rock, I had a song with almost the exact same two progressions (a couple of quick extra chords around the end of the c cb5 b e progression, but basically the same). I've always relied more on my ear than the scales, and not having a guitar in my hands as I type this, I can't recall exactly where I was soloing on it, but it was around the E harmonic scale posted previously. Good luck with it. My attempts at math rock were pretty terrible, but I always liked the c cb5 b movement in that old song. Glad to see that someone else is using it too.

I have started using an e minor pent/ natural over the first part, but that gets boring over the second part. any ideas ?

E minor for most of it, and as stated, E harmonic minor for the B and B5 chords.

As for "Cb5", that would be the name for it, but it's best to write it as C(b5). When I first read the progression, I was reading it as Cb 5, which is the same as B5, which had me confused since it was followed by B5.

• Members

You could try following the chords.

That's probably what I'd do - out line some of the chords and add in notes to flavour things. Over the B5 I'd throw in a B diminished run to make it sound more metalish.

• Moderators

Angelo,

What's with you and all the deleted posts? Before your recent arrival, I think I had only seen a few deleted posts in a years time. Now every time I see you post there are several deleted posts that you've created. What's the deal ?? I assume you realize that you can edit a post beyond just deletion. So why are you clogging things up with so many post deletions?

cheers,

• Members

Angelo,

What's with you and all the deleted posts? Before your recent arrival, I think I had only seen a few deleted posts in a years time. Now every time I see you post there are several deleted posts that you've created. What's the deal ?? I assume you realize that you can edit a post beyond just deletion. So why are you clogging things up with so many post deletions?

cheers,

The reasons why I delete some posts are:

Yes, I know that I can edit my posts anytime, but I'm an old chap and somehow don't like the messages "Last edited by Angelo Clematide: 04-28-2008 at 02:42 AM.

• Moderators

The reasons why I delete some posts are:

Yes, I know that I can edit my posts anytime, but I'm an old chap and somehow don't like the messages
"Last edited by Angelo Clematide: 04-28-2008 at 02:42 AM

With all due respect for your preferences the "last edited by" tag, I (and I'll assume others) find it quite distracting to see so many deletions. Lot's of deletions look like an attempt to inflate a post-count. You may want to consider a technique that many around here use: Compose your response, wait some period of time before posting, read the response and decide whether or not it is OnTopic / Valuable / Helpful / Clear BEFORE you post.

From what I've seen, your English is fine, much better than and I could write in any of the non-native languages that I speak. Please think about it, I would appreciate your consideration on this issue.

cheers,

Jed

• Members

With all due respect for your preferences the "last edited by" tag, I (and I'll assume others) find it quite distracting to see so many deletions. Lot's of deletions look like an attempt to inflate a post-count. You may want to consider a technique that many around here use: Compose your response, wait some period of time before posting, read the response and decide whether or not it is OnTopic / Valuable / Helpful / Clear
BEFORE
you post.

cheers,

Jed

I like my freedom to post and delete anything anytime!

If that's the regime, and I saw that you are the Moderator, I prefer not to post anymore in The Lessin Loft.

Asta la vista in salada mista.

• Members

If that's the regime, and I saw that you are the Moderator, I prefer not to post anymore in The Lessin Loft.

Oh come on, you don't have to leave.

It is odd though to reply to a post then find out what you replied is above what you were replying to.

Just makes it hard for people to follow.

I edit my stuff a lot after posting, sometimes I make gapping mistakes or just want to state things better. And I to end up doing things in a text editor then pasting them in.

There's no reason to leave.

• Members

Oh come on!....I enjoy reading your posts and the Moderator's request is hardly a big deal.

• Members

C5Dim? Maybe? :)

Scott

Archived