How To Get Funky

• Members

I have been WAY in to Sly and Rage Against the Machine lately. Thus, I have been interested in playing funk. How does one go about this? I know ninth chords and stuff, but they don't provide alot of... variety. What scales does one use? I would suspect pentatonic, per the blues influnce.

I'm not just talking about guitar either. I may take up bass eventually, so that'd be useful too.

Thanks!

• Members

Well, shameless product plug, but I have a whole section on how to get funky in my rhythm guitar poster, seen in my avatar at the left. :cop:

But generally speaking, you should have a good handle on rhythm, 16th notes in particular. For starters, you could take a ninth chord and play steady 16ths, 1-e-&-a, 2-e-&-a, etc. Then you could turn the 1-e into muted chucks, chuck-chuck-&-a. Or 1-e-chuck-chuck. Move on to all the variations from there.

It will probably feel mechanical at first, but eventually you'll start to feel the groove and get comfortable going with the flow...

• Members

But generally speaking, you should have a good handle on rhythm

Exactly. Funk is *all* about rhythm. Listening to lots of great funk music is the key IMO. So many schools of funk, and they all have a unique vibe. For example Memphis funk vs. Detroit Funk, i.e. Stax vs. Motown -- big differences but both funkier than hell. Listen to all the styles and embrace the rhythms, that's the way to great funk.

Learning the classic funk tunes is the best way I know of to get funky. Learning rhythmic exercises and chord patterns can't hurt but don't leave out the listening, that's the key in funk. Parliament Funkadelic is a great place to start. :)

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

I have been WAY in to Sly and Rage Against the Machine lately. Thus, I have been interested in playing funk. How does one go about this? I know ninth chords and stuff, but they don't provide alot of... variety. What scales does one use? I would suspect pentatonic, per the blues influnce.

I'm not just talking about guitar either. I may take up bass eventually, so that'd be useful too.

Thanks!

It's not about chords or harmony so much. In fact I think it's best to think of yourself as a percussion instrument. When it comes to harmony just pick a note or two to add color- often a 7th, sometimes a 3rd, 9th or 6th. Often little ideas that float between a 4th and 3rd (implying a sus sound) work well.

Generally if you're playing the real sh!t there are several other instruments going and you're only playing 2-3 notes as there's not space for more. Even if you're fretting 4 or 5 you're only letting 2 or 3 sound. If you're talking about other stuff like Rage or the Chili Peppers (which I'm not really into) then they're playing more full on barre chords. Sort of a rock in a funky rhythm thing.

Archived