Heeelp!! Why on earth would this melody sound good over these chords??

alez

• Members

Hi All,

A while ago I was already confused about the tune in question and I asked for soloing tips:

http://acapella.harmony-central.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1757381

Now the bit that got me thinking is the one where the tenor sax does this:

2ikqkcl.jpg

You can hear this clearly in the same clip posted long ago:

http://www.telefonica.net/web2/alez2/changes.mp3

Normally I don't get obsessed about understanding music from a theoretical point of view, but I need to write some quick part for a few more of us (alto sax, trumpet, trombone) and thought it would be nice to avoid all of us doing unisons given that it's so many of us. And I'm totally lost as to what the hell may go well with the current melody, other than the current melody.

So I've circled a few notes that are not intuitive to me and put arrows on the least intuitive ones. Any comments from you jazz gurus or otherwise would be great, really. Also you are welcome to write the additional voices for me if you feel like it :p

One theory I have for the three notes in the first circle is that's kind of a dominant "anything goes" on the Gb that moves to a kind of tonic sound on the Db. I actually tend to solo with Db as a tonic sound in mind and that seems to work. Just a thought.

All the best,

Alex

• Members

Another way to think about it (and a bit more "jazz") is to consider those tones to be the upper extensions of the Gb chord: Ab, the 9th; C, the #11th, Eb, the 13th. It's common practice to raise the 11th a half-step to the #11 in chords.

I think you've got the right idea about the dominant sound of that chord. It's what I would do.

Another thing to consider: the entire melody is using the Ab major pentatonic scale. The first chord is Ab, so even though the chords move a bit away from that, the scale stays the same, and the consistency of the scale helps, as well as the repetition of the melody. Also, the notes of an Ab major triad don't clash in any strong way with the notes of a Gb major chord, and the same for a Db major chord. As mentioned, the Gb triad works as upper extensions on both chords, and good sounding extensions at that.

• Members

Great posts indeed, as always.

Another thought. Looking at how the melody is totally "Ab chord" throughout (Ab major pentatonic like Poparad says) and considering that the chord changes are pretty lively, I'm thinking that the respective roles for melody and harmony are actually kind of swapped, say like if the functionality was pretty much like:

2ccwfsw.jpg

Does that make sense? :confused:

Cheers,

Alex

Archived