Cant get my left hand up to speed :(

Celik

• Members

Sup guys,

I have been trying to improve my alternate picking technic. And end result is i have a good right hand, i feel confortable with right hand, but my left hand is slowing me down, i cant get it up to speed to sync it up with the right hand. :( Is there exercises that just focus on building the left hand speed? :confused:

• Members

It's hard.

If you have favorite licks or runs you could practice them over and over and build up speed over time. For example learn a solo from a song you like.

You can also practice scales. The major scale, pentatonic scale. Practice scales.

Scales, licks, etc.

What you will find is that speed in a certain pattern does not translate directly to having speed in a different pattern.

So learn something you can use in a musical context.

• Members

It's hard.

If you have favorite licks or runs you could practice them over and over and build up speed over time. For example learn a solo from a song you like.

You can also practice scales. The major scale, pentatonic scale. Practice scales.

Scales, licks, etc.

What you will find is that speed in a certain pattern does not translate directly to having speed in a different pattern.

So learn something you can use in a musical context.

Thanks i am intreasted in learning licks and playing them to build up speed, that sound fun to me. :)

• Members

Sup guys,

I have been trying to improve my alternate picking technic. And end result is i have a good right hand, i feel confortable with right hand, but my left hand is slowing me down, i cant get it up to speed
to sync it up with
the right hand.
:(
Is there exercises that just focus on building the left hand speed?
:confused:

In addition to the good advice you've already received here, I'd add that if synchronization is your main problem, you still need work on you picking hand also.

Sync is an effort of both hands, and working on either hand independently won't really address that specific problem.

Slow metronome work, as well as very short speed bursts, would be what I'd work on for sync problems. Get both hands really well in sync on one string before working on string crossings.

• Members

You didn't mention the kind of stuff you play. One bit of standard advice anyway; don't forget the music. A good chunk of them speed demons don't know a thing about it, have no use for it.
:freak:

:lol:

Yes. Agreed.

Why is it we get so many "help me play fast" queries, and so few "help me play well" inquiries?

• Members

:lol:

Yes. Agreed.

Why is it we get so many "help me play fast" queries, and so few "help me play well" inquiries?

Sorry, for not providing my influences and the bands i like. I am into classical rock, scorpions, pink floyd, hendrix, gnr, ozzy, led zeppelin, acdc, rolling stones, i also like the 90's bands too, like ratm, aic, stp etc.

And yeah other then being fast i want to play well. The reason i want to learn how to play fast is to use that as technic that will shape my playing. I dont like the insane shreders where thats all they do is just play fast, i prefer more melodic style but then if i want to do a fast burst of notes in there i want to be able to do that. I guess the player from scorpions is a really good example of what kinda of guitar playing i like the most. :)

Archived