Learning hte fretboard

• Moderators

I did try the search and didnt come up with anything. I will try again, thanks.

Try searching for "notes learn" (without the quotes)in the Lesson Loft. That should produce lots of stuff to read. cheers,

• Members

Hire a guitar tutor who is bigger than you. Give him a 4' section of garden hose. Then do the 'garden hose note naming drill':

Improvise a short phrase (6-8 notes). Then you have 5 seconds to say the notes. If you take to long, or miss any note names, said guitar tutor hits you upside the head with the garden hose.

Do this in all areas of the neck. I fully guarantee you will learn your notes extremely quickly.

Next best methods are sight reading and learning basic major and minor arpeggios/chords all over the neck.

• Members
I'm starting to get convinced that sight reading is the way to go.

That's what most folks say after one 'garden hose note naming drill'. :lol:

Where does one start for a nice collection of useful transcriptions for this?

J S Bach might be a nice place to start.

• Members
9,572 hours of hose whipping.

While the 'garden hose' thing was a joke, I think there is something to be said for instructors who don't sugar coat anything and hold you accountable for doing work.

One time, during my first guitar lesson with a teacher, he had me play something at the beginning of the lesson. Afterwords he told me I sucked and I should want to play like him. (Also, that my guitar sucked and I should want to get a guitar like his.) I would have walked out of there right then except for one thing...

He was exactly 100% correct. He ended up being a great teacher and I ended up learning a lot.

I had another teacher for a while who had this policy: Pay in advance. Play as much as you want during the lesson. Lesson lasts one hour or until you hit your first wrong note, whichever comes first.

After you pay for your first 30 second lesson, you start to consider what you are playing a bit more carefully. :lol:

• Members

Ha! Jasco that is both funny and awesome!

There is no question the hard ugly truth is always the best for anyone who is serious. Hearing "Oh you sounded great!" is really unhelpful (and can usually be had by the pound from family/friends and "ladies of the evening")

If you want to get better you need the truth - and it hurts most times. I know I have a long way to go - so why would I be upset when somebody at a higher level points that out? It doesnt mean that they dont acknowledge and understand the distance i have made.

Sounds like you have had some good teachers. Your attitude, advice and playing shows it to bro!

• Members

learn scales

I disagree - This wont be that effective.

The reason why I feel reading sheet music works so well to internalize the neck is because it forces you to see the note then play it. You dont know what note the piece will call for next AND you need to play it in time. Kind of like using flash cards... but musical ones.

You need to have a note called out and hit it within the scope of the beat. I have used those neck "games" and they work to a degree but I find that they dont nail it in because the learning is happening without your hands on the instrument.

So why not just use flash cards you ask?

You can ... but they are difficult to set in a musical example and besides if you are going to this effort why not learn to read while you are at it? They do the same thing only - reading will help you in many many ways as a musician.

Most people just avoid reading cause it isnt 100% awesomely fun. Not fun all the time just doesnt seem to be acceptable these days. So folks will generally avoid it and slag it, tell me Hendrix couldnt read, and all that.

You are here to become a better guitarist no?

You want to learn your neck - really?

Top to bottom? on the fly?

It isn't a secret - Learn to read in all positions

Honestly

• Members

J S Bach might be a nice place to start.

Sure - I'd like that.

I have various books of Bach for piano, but I think it will be labourious

to figure out which ones are amenable for this.

So if anyone has pointers to transcriptions of Bach that are "perfect for the job" .... please post pointers, would be muchy appreciated.!

GaJ

Archived